All applicants have been called!!

I did not make it this year, But will try again next year. Any suggestions on what I can do to be a better applicant?

Even with medical experience I shadowed two PA's and attained 7 letters of recommendation.

Medical Experience: Emergency Room Paramedic six years, two years medical research, Paramedic/EMT clinical Instructor one year, volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic one year.

Degree Attained: A.S Emergency Medicine.

Current Career: Pre-PA

Number of times Applied: 1

Ethnicity: Hispanic

GPA: 3.6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not make it this year, But will try again next year. Any suggestions on what I can do to be a better applicant?

Even with medical experience I shadowed two PA's and attained 7 letters of recommendation.

Medical Experience: Emergency Room Paramedic six years, two years medical research, Paramedic/EMT clinical Instructor one year, volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic one year.

Degree Attained: A.S Emergency Medicine.

Number of times Applied: 1

GPA: 3.6

Medical Experience: OVER 600 HOURS IN ( GYNO, FAMILY, RESCUE, PEDIATRIC ER, GYNO, AND ORTHO SURGERY)

Degree Attained:BACHELOR IN HEALTH SCIENCE FROM FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY

Number of times Applied: 3

GPA: 3.7

ALSO ATTENDED MEDICAL CONFERENCES

I DID EVERYTHING I KNOW I COULD OF DONE. I KNEW SOMEONE IN ALMOST EVERY CLASS FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS. I OBSERVED SANTANAS CLASS SEVERAL TIMES AS WELL. I HAD 8 VERY STRONG LETTER RECOMMENDATIONS.

FIRST TIME I APPLIED, I GOT A 96 ON THE TEST. I WAS TOLD I SCORED VERY HIGH FOR THAT GROUP. WHEN THE INTERVIEW CAME AROUND, I WAS NOT CHOSEN. SECOND TIME, I GOT AN 85, TOO LOW TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN INTERVIEW. THIRD TIME, NOT SURE WHAT MY SCORE WAS, BUT MADE IT TO THE INTERVIEW. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET INTO THIS PROGRAM FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW. IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE. AT LEAST I KNOW, ITS FINALLY A CLOSURE FOR ME AFTER WORKING SO VERY HARD AT IT FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS. I WILL START SOMETHING DIFFERENT NOW. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE THOUGH =)

Medical Experience: OVER 600 HOURS IN ( GYNO, FAMILY, RESCUE, PEDIATRIC ER, GYNO, AND ORTHO SURGERY)

Degree Attained:BACHELOR IN HEALTH SCIENCE FROM FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY

I DID EVERYTHING I KNOW I COULD OF DONE. I KNEW SOMEONE IN ALMOST EVERY CLASS FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS. I OBSERVED SANTANAS CLASS SEVERAL TIMES AS WELL. I HAD 8 VERY STRONG LETTER RECOMMENDATIONS.

FIRST TIME I APPLIED, I GOT A 96 ON THE TEST. I WAS TOLD I SCORED VERY HIGH FOR THAT GROUP. WHEN THE INTERVIEW CAME AROUND, I WAS NOT CHOSEN. SECOND TIME, I GOT AN 85, TOO LOW TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN INTERVIEW. THIRD TIME, NOT SURE WHAT MY SCORE WAS, BUT MADE IT TO THE INTERVIEW. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET INTO THIS PROGRAM FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW. IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE. AT LEAST I KNOW, ITS FINALLY A CLOSURE FOR ME AFTER WORKING SO VERY HARD AT IT FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS. I WILL START SOMETHING DIFFERENT NOW. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE THOUGH =)

Exactlly the way they choose people makes no sense...... It's alot of who you know. Im done with MDC PA.... I will be starting my Respiratory Therapy in August its not my dream but it will pay the bills. Im still young, i should be an RRT by 26.... Oh and i knew alot of people in the program and made lots of gifts. Good luck to all of you. The least experience you have in medicine the better it seems.

Exactlly the way they choose people makes no sense...... It's alot of who you know. Im done with MDC PA.... I will be starting my Respiratory Therapy in August its not my dream but it will pay the bills. Im still young, i should be an RRT by 26.... Oh and i knew alot of people in the program and made lots of gifts. Good luck to all of you. The least experience you have in medicine the better it seems.

I agree with the above with regards to not giving up on PA, but perhaps giving up on MDC which I intend to do. I'm on my 2nd round and did not get in and assume they must go by test score and gpa alone, in either case I'm beyond frustrated with the whole process! More specifically how they continuously change their application process and admission test each year. In my meeting with Jackie for this year she said everything was the same, then I get the admission test email 3 weeks before and the test had completely changed! At the same time the email was completely misleading as to what was going to be on the test as well! In addition, many of the test questions were ridiculous (like "what microbiologist discovered how to preserve food" Really?), how about what the point of gram staining is and how it attributes to the use of antibiotics and how different antibiotics behave differently??? I would think that would be just a little more relative to what a PA encounters than knowing who figured out how to preserve food!! Then they threw in that ridiculous HSC 0003 course which I had to fight, and the interview I was told went well but I must admit I was not very impressed with level and type of questions. They were extremely vague and silly, there was little talk about my abilities to be a PA it seemed like the only thing they cared about was if you buck the system or would challenge their ways of running the program. I was prepared for professional, career and medical-oriented questions and instead got questions like "you give a very good presentation but I give you a "C", what do you do?" Really??? I'm a 20 year professional nearly completing my BHS, and planning to practice medicine as a PA and this is what you ask me???? It was like good cop, bad cop, smiling person and person who just sat there and never asked a single question crammed into a little office. MDC's pass rate is respectable and therefore I would attend if asked but I was not impressed with what I saw in the interview. Having said all that and near completion of my BHS, I'm now going to hard target Masters programs. The tuition is more but it would be nice after 27 months to be virtually done with school and not have to continue on to get my masters while on the job. Good luck to all and good-bye MDC, you just lost another very good candidate and would-be program representative!

Medical Experience: over 250 hours volunteer at Broward Health, over 2 years working for Broward Health most recently as a Patient Rep in the ER which is also a Level 1 trauma center, nearly a year of shadowing in general and cardio thoracic surgery, 5 very strong letters of reccomendation (PA, MD, Prof, supervisor, personal)

Degree Attained: AA in Biology, nearly completed BHS (Bachelor of Health Services) at FAU

Current Career: Patient Rep at Broward Health Medical Center ER

Number of times Applied: 2 (and the last)

Ethnicity: White

GPA: 3.65 cum and 3.65 sciences

Test score: 85

I agree with the above with regards to not giving up on PA, but perhaps giving up on MDC which I intend to do. I'm on my 2nd round and did not get in and assume they must go by test score and gpa alone, in either case I'm beyond frustrated with the whole process! More specifically how they continuously change their application process and admission test each year. In my meeting with Jackie for this year she said everything was the same, then I get the admission test email 3 weeks before and the test had completely changed! At the same time the email was completely misleading as to what was going to be on the test as well! In addition, many of the test questions were ridiculous (like "what microbiologist discovered how to preserve food" Really?), how about what the point of gram staining is and how it attributes to the use of antibiotics and how different antibiotics behave differently??? I would think that would be just a little more relative to what a PA encounters than knowing who figured out how to preserve food!! Then they threw in that ridiculous HSC 0003 course which I had to fight, and the interview I was told went well but I must admit I was not very impressed with level and type of questions. They were extremely vague and silly, there was little talk about my abilities to be a PA it seemed like the only thing they cared about was if you buck the system or would challenge their ways of running the program. I was prepared for professional, career and medical-oriented questions and instead got questions like "you give a very good presentation but I give you a "C", what do you do?" Really??? I'm a 20 year professional nearly completing my BHS, and planning to practice medicine as a PA and this is what you ask me???? It was like good cop, bad cop, smiling person and person who just sat there and never asked a single question crammed into a little office. MDC's pass rate is respectable and therefore I would attend if asked but I was not impressed with what I saw in the interview. Having said all that and near completion of my BHS, I'm now going to hard target Masters programs. The tuition is more but it would be nice after 27 months to be virtually done with school and not have to continue on to get my masters while on the job. Good luck to all and good-bye MDC, you just lost another very good candidate and would-be program representative!

Medical Experience: over 250 hours volunteer at Broward Health, over 2 years working for Broward Health most recently as a Patient Rep in the ER which is also a Level 1 trauma center, nearly a year of shadowing in general and cardio thoracic surgery, 5 very strong letters of reccomendation (PA, MD, Prof, supervisor, personal)

Degree Attained: AA in Biology, nearly completed BHS (Bachelor of Health Services) at FAU

Wow Pete...... You have nailed it..... My friend you worded everything the way i feel. I completely relate with every word you have said. Thats the point of this post, i need more people to come forward and post your story. I want those who got in as well as those like me that get in.

Wow Pete...... You have nailed it..... My friend you worded everything the way i feel. I completely relate with every word you have said. Thats the point of this post, i need more people to come forward and post your story. I want those who got in as well as those like me that get in.

Def apply to other schools. I have a bachelors and was only applying there because of cost reasons. I showed determination and persistency from day 1. I met with them every time to ask them how I can become a better candidate. I showed interest. Each time they made it seem as it was no big deal.."just talk more in the interview, just study harder on the exam." I did it all and nothing. I truly trusted in them when they told me if I keep fighting I would eventually get in. Not to mention I felt like their puppy dog doing everything they said for three years. When this year, I reach the interview and they ask "why do you keep applying here if you have all the qualifications to go anywhere in the states?" I respond how I graduated from mdc w an aa and I am a proud alumni, how great their program is... Etc...their response...."we feel if you truly wanted to be a PA, you would apply elsewhere. Do not put your eggs in one basket." I was shocked! The whole time I was told to fight and show determination. I wish they would of told me this before instead of telling me something else. Of course it was my decision to continue fighting and put my life in hold because I did. Just learn from me! If you apply the following yr, ok but just apply other places as well and have a plan B.

Def apply to other schools. I have a bachelors and was only applying there because of cost reasons. I showed determination and persistency from day 1. I met with them every time to ask them how I can become a better candidate. I showed interest. Each time they made it seem as it was no big deal.."just talk more in the interview, just study harder on the exam." I did it all and nothing. I truly trusted in them when they told me if I keep fighting I would eventually get in. Not to mention I felt like their puppy dog doing everything they said for three years. When this year, I reach the interview and they ask "why do you keep applying here if you have all the qualifications to go anywhere in the states?" I respond how I graduated from mdc w an aa and I am a proud alumni, how great their program is... Etc...their response...."we feel if you truly wanted to be a PA, you would apply elsewhere. Do not put your eggs in one basket." I was shocked! The whole time I was told to fight and show determination. I wish they would of told me this before instead of telling me something else. Of course it was my decision to continue fighting and put my life in hold because I did. Just learn from me! If you apply the following yr, ok but just apply other places as well and have a plan B.

Congradulation to all that were accepted.

I did not get accepted but I am ok with their decision. I had plan A, plan B and plan C. So there is no time for crying. I have a AA in pre-pharmacy. I am finishing my bachelor in biology this term so my future looks promising. I also got accepted to MDC nursing program for the fall. So all in all I am happy.

Wish for all to have a blessed future.

Congradulation to all that were accepted.

I did not get accepted but I am ok with their decision. I had plan A, plan B and plan C. So there is no time for crying. I have a AA in pre-pharmacy. I am finishing my bachelor in biology this term so my future looks promising. I also got accepted to MDC nursing program for the fall. So all in all I am happy.

Wish for all to have a blessed future.

Archived