A Thread for Online Courses (Pre-reqs - Boost GPA)

Currently finishing up Biochemistry online (non-lab, 4 semester units) through Cuesta Community College based in southern California. It's not traditionally offered online so I can tell the prof is sort of figuring things out as we go to adjust the content to online learning, and I've struggled a bit with learning the material outside of a classroom environment, but I I'd recommend it if you're self-motivated. Only costs about $200 if you're a CA resident. 

Non-proctored exams, asynchronous (you can watch his lectures whenever you want, note pages provided), 5 homework assignments spread out across the semester, schedule is typically either a quiz or exam every few weeks with a final exam at the end. I'm getting a B but frankly that's my fault for not putting enough time into studying and balancing it out with work; I'm sure anyone could easily get an A with proper study habits.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 8:31 PM, Bullred777 said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had experiences with Barton Community College? They seem to have several different schedules (4, 6, 8, and 16 weeks) that are really accommodating and only charge $150 a credit hour. Currently, I am an accountant working full time and would like to know how challenging this college is before I dive in. I don't really have a science background and am a little scared on how hard these prerequisites are. I really like Mands reviews, I might have to go with Doane even if its more expensive since I can't find much about Barton's classes.

I'm looking pretty heavily at Barton for biochemistry and anatomy. Did you end up taking courses with this college? Their online course flexibility is incredibly enticing and so is their cheaper tuition. 

• 2 months later...

Question? I am looking to take the Online Anatomy and Physiology through Doane. I live in Germany and I am not allowed to receive animal based contents through the mail. German customs will stop it. So, receiving a LAB Kit with animal based contents for dissection is out of my reach in Germany. Does Doane online Anatomy and Physiology classes require a Lab Kit with those animal based contents, such hearts or animals for dissection. The enrollment department told me that I do not need a Lab Kit but I want to hear from students. Thank you.

Guest PAStobe24
On 11/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, jtroutwin said:

Has anyone taken any classes through UC San Diego extension? I am looking to take biochemistry through them because it is very quick and not super expensive.

https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/biochemistry

Hey @jtroutwin! Did you ever hear anything about this class or end up taking biochemistry at UC San Diego extension? I am currently looking to taking biochem with them over the summer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, does anyone know the difference between general psychology and introduction to psychology, because schools that have psychology majors and masters don't have both, it looks like one or the other as though they fill the same requirements. Only place I've found both was online university of phoenix, is that online school any good if I were to take anything else like medical terminology? I'm only doing labs in person because I personally need to be hands on to fully understand it and I'm a few years out of undergrad so I'm not shooting myself in the foot; no lab class examples please.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, mands said:

University of Vermont: Anatomy & Physiology 1 (nonproctored exams)

Doane: Ethics, Biochem, OChem I, Biology I, Genetics (nonproctored exams, very easy)

MCPHS: Calculus I (Nonproctored exams, self paced- I finished this in a week)

Stonybrook Uni - BioMed Clinical Challenges in the 21st Century (1 month long course, no exams, 1 major project, easy quizzes every week, just need to watch lecture and marked that you watched it at the end)

If anyone has a question about any of these courses or schools, LMK, I took them all! 

Hey! Were the classes at Doane expensive? I want to apply in this upcoming cycle but need to take biochem & retake o chem 1. 

From my recollection, it depended on the course - they really varied in price, but I believe they were all over 1k for the most part. I went to Doane from UNE bc UNE was just too expensive for me. I was also attracted to the accelerated 8-week course, and once I took my first class there, I was hooked bc I think the classwork they have you do helps you to really learn the material (your grade doesn't just depend on exams). Also - most of the classes require a weekly presentation as well - but it is great public speaking practice. And you get it done in 8 weeks!

2 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

Has anyone been able to find a relatively priced pathophysiology/immunology class anywhere?

Kinda random, but if you’re a California resident by chance, a community college I attend online called Yuba College offers pathophysiology. They haven’t posted their summer or fall schedule yet but they usually offer it every semester. It’s only about $200 if you’re in CA. If you’re not then it’s a lot more, so, sorry, might not help but worth a shot checking CCs!

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, Guest mands said:

Doane: Ethics, Biochem, OChem I, Biology I, Genetics (nonproctored exams, very easy)

Stonybrook Uni - BioMed Clinical Challenges in the 21st Century (1 month long course, no exams, 1 major project, easy quizzes every week, just need to watch lecture and marked that you watched it at the end)

If anyone has a question about any of these courses or schools, LMK, I took them all! 

HeyI I am looking at taking the biochemistry course through Doane. I took ochem but it was years ago and I do not really remember the material. Do you think I can do well in this class if I don't remember my ochem material? How long did you spend each week on this course? I would love any and all info about this course! trying to decide if I should enroll there or look at taking it somewhere else. thanks in advance :)

On 12/4/2020 at 4:21 AM, jtroutwin said:

For those who have taken online Biochem at Doane (or elsewhere feel free to chime in), was it doable while working full time? I'm only seeing the option for 8 week classes and am unsure if that is going to be awful/possible while working full time. 

Thanks!

I am looking at this course. Did you end up taking it? would you suggest it? I also work full time and am nervous about the work load with my schedule

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 8:53 PM, kmor92 said:

If you mean for anatomy, yes, byu online has an online lab with the lecture. For physiology I did end up doing brandman/westcott courses and they also have an online physiology lab as part of the course

How was the final? were the questions taken from the quizzes or were they new questions?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  I am looking for suggestions on places to take statistics.  I have an old class that I need to refresh for applications.  

I also wanted to add that I am taking BIO 101 at Portage.  It is completely self paced and very affordable.  HOWEVER, it is all proctored.  I know that sounds like I want to cheat my way through a class for an easy A.  I don't.  The problem with the proctored exams is that they seem to be designed to catch cheaters making those of us who don't use any tactics at a disadvantage.  Some of the questions are really detailed (and not on the study guide). I am typically a great memorizer so that is coming in handy.  Just wanted to chime in for those of you considering Portage.  All of their exams are now proctored.  It adds to my stress level and honestly, I don't believe I am learning more.  Some of the Doane Chem classes are loads of busy work, but guess what?  I was learning a lot while I was busy-working! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, Guest mands said:

Hi, would you please share if you got accepted to PA school with taking these online courses?

I have heard some PA schools are not accepting online prerequisite courses. Many thanks,

On 12/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, TeslaBrain said:

I thought I would create a thread to help all of us out with online courses. Please list any online classes that you've taken, and which school. Tell us whether they were easy, hard, expensive, etc. This should help us find schools and the courses we need without searching all over the internet. 

Two schools I can think off the top of my head for Biochem/Organic/ Genetics are listed below:

Doane:  Biochem and Organic 2 (expensive, medium difficult, and no proctored exams)

Metropolitan Community College: Genetics (cheap, extremely easy, no proctored exams) 

And please no "you should take these classes in person" lectures. This thread is to help people who need to take courses online, and to help boost GPA. 

On 11/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, Eli74 said:

Hi, would you please share if you got accepted to PA school with taking these online courses?

I have heard some PA schools are not accepting online prerequisite courses. Many thanks,

Most schools will specify on their prerequisites page, or you can inquire with their admissions dept. It varies by program. I took quite a few of mine online and still got interviews. I checked beforehand that my courses would be accepted by them. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, ChemPhysicsInstructor said:

I would like to add one more school to the list:  

North Central Missouri College

I teach the following courses online:  Introduction to Chemistry, General Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, College Physics 1 and 2, General Physics 1 and 2, Introduction to Physics, and Introduction to Physical Science.  My colleagues teach other courses such as Anatomy and Physiology, Math, Statistics, etc.  

All students are welcome as we are a small community college and have low tuition (about $200/credit hour).  We are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (the regional accrediting body of the Department of Education).  Since I teach at a small institution, I am flexible with my course offerings as I can offer any of my courses at essentially any time.  

I follow a different approach to education:  I encourage collaboration with others and none of the tests/quizzes/finals are proctored.  Science education research has shown that this approach produces better outcomes than the traditional lecture-memorize approach.  

I am trying to look up your course! I really need to take organic chemistry ASAP. Is your course work at your own pace? Do you need to apply to the school or is this a class you can sign up directly? Any updates to your course or do you still encourage collaboration with others and non proctored quizzes/exams? 

• 6 months later...