A Thread for Online Courses (Pre-reqs - Boost GPA)

8 minutes ago, Patricia5827 said:

Which school do you guys think has the cheapest rates for genetics and Pathophysiology?? 

What state are you in? 

My community college in California has each of those online for only like $190 if you’re a CA resident. 

Add NCMC to the list.

I've been told by two friends of mine who both completed all their Chemistry (inorganic and organic) and Physics courses at North Central Missouri College. They said the professor is linked on this thread for those interested in contacting him. Both did say, "if you need an A in chemistry, and want to have fun while learning from an AWESOME instructor, take Grell at NCMC...no time limit, no proctored exams, and the professor will work with you with whatever you need."

If I hadn't already taken these pre-reqs somewhere else, I would def look into this school. Hope this information helps ya guys out. 

Edited by TeslaBrain
Blah

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, kmor92 said:

I'm late to the thread. BYU independent study has an online anatomy class, microbiology and molecular biology courses online, self paced and relatively affordable. the 3 credit anatomy class is about $600. 

I am looking for an online self paced physiology only course.

Has anyone taken any courses online from Brandman University/ Westcott courses? I see they have a very affordable self paced physiology course but can't find any reviews.  

Did you end up taking the Westcott courses for Physiology? If so, how was your experience? Pros/Cons? Thanks in advance! 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, mands said:

Hi! 

Here's a mini review of all the courses I took 🙂

Ethics - 10/10! You read books, reply to 3 discussions a week, and get blessed with lee tasey's philosophy if you choose to watch the lectures. Easiest class i've ever completed! This is an easy A! 

Biochemistry - 7/10. A little more challenging. Answers available online, however can be unreliable so it's good to add someone from the class and compare. I have all my answers saved in a google bank for my bf when he gets to that level, so if you end up taking it shoot me a message! Otherwise, a lot of busy work, but is worth it because you do pick up biochem knowledge! The only annoying thing about this class is theres a video project every week on a subject. Like, why does this pharmaceutical work, etc. Also, there's a big project at the end but it isn't anything over the top crazy that you couldn't do by putting in 2 hours a week. This is an easy A! 

Organic Chem - 9/10. I found this class to be SO fun and straight forward!! Online quizzes, online homework (a little tedious to draw mechanisms online but you get the hang of it), and they're all questions you can grab from chegg/quizlet. This is an easy A! 

Genetics - 10/10. So easy! A few assignments, a quiz, and a lab a week. Lab is *eyeroll* because some of them you had to buy material, but it's nowhere near expensive as a lab kit. I'm talking about like a strawberry and a few household stuff to extract DNA or eggs and vinegar. I would reeeaaalllyy reccomend this class because karen stancil is honestly just ❤️ sweetest ever! This is an easy A! 

Biology I - 9/10. Another karen stancil class! It's a little harder because of the fact that it's so much material so it's 2x the work as genetics. However, it's a lot of opinion-based discussions and like a few quizzes and exams a week. I'd take this if you need it! Doane IS backwards though when it comes to the bio1/2 series. Bio 1 is CELL bio - Bio 2 is ANIMAL bio. So, don't let the names fool you! It's usually the other way around. This is an easy A! 

Here's a mini review of michael's courses (because lord knows I was the one helping him with the assignments)! 

Microbio - 8/10. See above! Nothing crazy to report 🙂 I didn't help him too much however, if it's the same professor, it is just homework, nonproctored tests and quizzes and online lab! This is an easy A! 

EDIT: My friend is taking micro through doane these coming weeks! They changed the class! you need a lab kit now! HOWEVER, I will say, I had my boyfriend look what our friend gave of the class... and michael still said it looks about the same... Seems like things are still unproctored, so the lab kit is merely just there to prevent students from going out of their way to buy the things!! So, this one course may not hold up to the review that I had before 🙂 Stay tuned! 

Chemistry 1 - 9/10! When I say I held his hand through this class, I mean I HELD his hand! This class was fundamentally easy. A quiz, homework assignment, discussion, and online lab every week! There's also a video project that gets turned in every week, too. This is okay though because it's really simple stuff. If you end up taking this, I can link you some of michael's videos and you can see how goofy it is (trying to get salt and pepper on a balloon, etc). This is an easy A! 

Developmental psych - 7/10 - Errrr, it's a lot of writing and discussion posts, which i'm not a fan of. Also, the exams are open note but we found that a lot of the notes did not correlate with the topics from lecture. Not all the information was readily available by their primary source online either. Not a fan, but if you gotta do it then it really isn't the worst thing in the world! 

------

Review over! : ) 

So, none of the classes listed above we have taken have proctored exams, so i'm gonna assume it's a no for most if not all! They frankly don't even check your discussion because some people would post some really questionable stuff and I assume get a good grade for it, which is why they kept doing it. Also, no required lectures!! however, you will find some of your professors to be very charming like lee tasey or karen stancil, so you'll want to tune in to just listen to them❤️  As for time zone, you will have to truncate it to the right time. So, doane is in nebraska, so you'll have to calculate their time zone to make sure it's in at that time. I lived in New York so I had to back it up by an hour, or else the assignment would be late. So that might be a challenge for you, bu that's also gonna be the same for UNE. 

Okay, for UNE micro final, I remember it to be pretty challenging. So, through the whole course, it was open note, then boom, the final was closed. I managed to get my grade to the high 90s so when I scored a whomping 75 on the final, I still had a hugggeee buffer. If you can, I would say drop it and take it at doane! Of course, the paced thing is a trade off, however, I don't think you need to spend more than 3 hours a day in the week to get all the stuff done. UNE however, you might spend more time studying and trying to fully know ALL the material (which feels impossible for an at home micro class), than you would with a doane class. After I took my first semester at doane, I never looked back to UNE (took micro and physics there)!

eep i love the questions! lmk if you have anymore ! 

Hi Mands! I was wondering if you had taken Physiology at UNE? Im thinking of enrolling with them to complete the class before a November application deadline, but I've read the reviews and said its basically teaching yourself. I unfortunately missed the registration for Doane U and am left with UNE. Any tips (if I do take it at UNE) or alternatives besides those two schools? 

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had experiences with Barton Community College? They seem to have several different schedules (4, 6, 8, and 16 weeks) that are really accommodating and only charge $150 a credit hour. Currently, I am an accountant working full time and would like to know how challenging this college is before I dive in. I don't really have a science background and am a little scared on how hard these prerequisites are. I really like Mands reviews, I might have to go with Doane even if its more expensive since I can't find much about Barton's classes.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ashleyashpyy said:

Hi, I just a general question about online labs. Are they accepted by the PA schools? I’ve never taken a science class online especially with labs being taught online as well. But with this virus situation,  I might have to because I don’t have a choice. I just want to make sure they are valid and accepted by PA school admission before I take them. 

In my experience, this very much depends on what you mean by "online labs." I did several labs virtually, at home in my kitchen but still using physical lab materials, dissection tools, beakers, etc. Every PA school I applied to has accepted these labs. If your labs are strictly online (as in, you "pretend" to do a lab on the computer), I very much doubt they'll be accepted.

Hi all,

I had a GREAT experience taking many of my prerequisites online with SUNY Empire State College. They have a huge, comprehensive selection of science classes and the opportunity to do labs at home, with physical lab materials and with professor supervision and input (you'll video and photograph your results/reactions/etc.) Every PA school I applied to has accepted these classes - just make sure "with lab" is in the title if your school requires a lab component. Every class is four credits and they have a discount (in-state tuition) for military. 

A&P I & II with lab - not hard necessarily, but HUGE amounts of reading, memorization, and lab work - each lab report was around 40 pages of questions. 

Chem I & II with lab - I had Professor Cera for Chem I and she is RUTHLESS, so keep that in mind. Otherwise both of these classes were doable, though chemistry is not my strong suit so everything took me forever. What I liked about chemistry at ESC vs. a traditional format (I actually started Chem II in person but had to drop out when I broke my hand) is that your grade is about 30% each homework, quizzes and lab, so you can get a B on a couple of quizzes and still get an A in the class. I found in-person science classes tend to be very exam-heavy.

Microbiology with lab - complex but interesting. This was one of my favorite classes. The lab requires an intense amount of scheduling as you're using growing media most of the time.

Psychology classes, genetics - lots available and most are very easy. 

I also took Biochemistry at UNE, and I learned a lot but this was easily THE HARDEST class I took. The exams are VERY difficult, and they are proctored, so very much traditional exam format, no open note/open book, etc. The professor was very supportive, and I wish I had asked more questions throughout the semester, but I was in way over my head with that class. 

My local community colleges also offered online and hybrid classes. I took Stats at the one up the road from me, and the class was online but the exams were in person. So definitely look into that too!

8 minutes ago, DelaneyR44 said:

In my experience, this very much depends on what you mean by "online labs." I did several labs virtually, at home in my kitchen but still using physical lab materials, dissection tools, beakers, etc. Every PA school I applied to has accepted these labs. If your labs are strictly online (as in, you "pretend" to do a lab on the computer), I very much doubt they'll be accepted.

For the courses I teach, I use lab kits from eScienceLabs/Science Interactive and Carolina Scientific.  These lab kits allow my students to do hands-on experiments at home.  I have never heard of an instance where my chemistry and physics courses were not accepted.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, DelaneyR44 said:

Hi all,

I had a GREAT experience taking many of my prerequisites online with SUNY Empire State College. They have a huge, comprehensive selection of science classes and the opportunity to do labs at home, with physical lab materials and with professor supervision and input (you'll video and photograph your results/reactions/etc.) Every PA school I applied to has accepted these classes - just make sure "with lab" is in the title if your school requires a lab component. Every class is four credits and they have a discount (in-state tuition) for military. 

A&P I & II with lab - not hard necessarily, but HUGE amounts of reading, memorization, and lab work - each lab report was around 40 pages of questions. 

Chem I & II with lab - I had Professor Cera for Chem I and she is RUTHLESS, so keep that in mind. Otherwise both of these classes were doable, though chemistry is not my strong suit so everything took me forever. What I liked about chemistry at ESC vs. a traditional format (I actually started Chem II in person but had to drop out when I broke my hand) is that your grade is about 30% each homework, quizzes and lab, so you can get a B on a couple of quizzes and still get an A in the class. I found in-person science classes tend to be very exam-heavy.

Microbiology with lab - complex but interesting. This was one of my favorite classes. The lab requires an intense amount of scheduling as you're using growing media most of the time.

Psychology classes, genetics - lots available and most are very easy. 

I also took Biochemistry at UNE, and I learned a lot but this was easily THE HARDEST class I took. The exams are VERY difficult, and they are proctored, so very much traditional exam format, no open note/open book, etc. The professor was very supportive, and I wish I had asked more questions throughout the semester, but I was in way over my head with that class. 

My local community colleges also offered online and hybrid classes. I took Stats at the one up the road from me, and the class was online but the exams were in person. So definitely look into that too!

Thanks for your input on SUNY! Would you also mind sharing the online schedule- is it self paced with assignments/tests due at the end of the week? I work as a MA a few shifts a week and am hoping to be able to work on the class load on my days off

On 8/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, ms625 said:

Thanks for your input on SUNY! Would you also mind sharing the online schedule- is it self paced with assignments/tests due at the end of the week? I work as a MA a few shifts a week and am hoping to be able to work on the class load on my days off

Yep. Most classes have weekly assignments due and some have midterms, etc. at certain times. I was working full time when I started classes and part time throughout taking prereqs so I was also working my schedule around work. It was totally doable, you just have to commit a lot of hours to it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, mands said:

Hi! 

Here's a mini review of all the courses I took 🙂

Ethics - 10/10! You read books, reply to 3 discussions a week, and get blessed with lee tasey's philosophy if you choose to watch the lectures. Easiest class i've ever completed! This is an easy A! 

Biochemistry - 7/10. A little more challenging. Answers available online, however can be unreliable so it's good to add someone from the class and compare. I have all my answers saved in a google bank for my bf when he gets to that level, so if you end up taking it shoot me a message! Otherwise, a lot of busy work, but is worth it because you do pick up biochem knowledge! The only annoying thing about this class is theres a video project every week on a subject. Like, why does this pharmaceutical work, etc. Also, there's a big project at the end but it isn't anything over the top crazy that you couldn't do by putting in 2 hours a week. This is an easy A! 

Organic Chem - 9/10. I found this class to be SO fun and straight forward!! Online quizzes, online homework (a little tedious to draw mechanisms online but you get the hang of it), and they're all questions you can grab from chegg/quizlet. This is an easy A! 

Genetics - 10/10. So easy! A few assignments, a quiz, and a lab a week. Lab is *eyeroll* because some of them you had to buy material, but it's nowhere near expensive as a lab kit. I'm talking about like a strawberry and a few household stuff to extract DNA or eggs and vinegar. I would reeeaaalllyy reccomend this class because karen stancil is honestly just ❤️ sweetest ever! This is an easy A! 

Biology I - 9/10. Another karen stancil class! It's a little harder because of the fact that it's so much material so it's 2x the work as genetics. However, it's a lot of opinion-based discussions and like a few quizzes and exams a week. I'd take this if you need it! Doane IS backwards though when it comes to the bio1/2 series. Bio 1 is CELL bio - Bio 2 is ANIMAL bio. So, don't let the names fool you! It's usually the other way around. This is an easy A! 

Here's a mini review of michael's courses (because lord knows I was the one helping him with the assignments)! 

Microbio - 8/10. See above! Nothing crazy to report 🙂 I didn't help him too much however, if it's the same professor, it is just homework, nonproctored tests and quizzes and online lab! This is an easy A! 

EDIT: My friend is taking micro through doane these coming weeks! They changed the class! you need a lab kit now! HOWEVER, I will say, I had my boyfriend look what our friend gave of the class... and michael still said it looks about the same... Seems like things are still unproctored, so the lab kit is merely just there to prevent students from going out of their way to buy the things!! So, this one course may not hold up to the review that I had before 🙂 Stay tuned! 

Chemistry 1 - 9/10! When I say I held his hand through this class, I mean I HELD his hand! This class was fundamentally easy. A quiz, homework assignment, discussion, and online lab every week! There's also a video project that gets turned in every week, too. This is okay though because it's really simple stuff. If you end up taking this, I can link you some of michael's videos and you can see how goofy it is (trying to get salt and pepper on a balloon, etc). This is an easy A! 

Developmental psych - 7/10 - Errrr, it's a lot of writing and discussion posts, which i'm not a fan of. Also, the exams are open note but we found that a lot of the notes did not correlate with the topics from lecture. Not all the information was readily available by their primary source online either. Not a fan, but if you gotta do it then it really isn't the worst thing in the world! 

------

Review over! : ) 

So, none of the classes listed above we have taken have proctored exams, so i'm gonna assume it's a no for most if not all! They frankly don't even check your discussion because some people would post some really questionable stuff and I assume get a good grade for it, which is why they kept doing it. Also, no required lectures!! however, you will find some of your professors to be very charming like lee tasey or karen stancil, so you'll want to tune in to just listen to them❤️  As for time zone, you will have to truncate it to the right time. So, doane is in nebraska, so you'll have to calculate their time zone to make sure it's in at that time. I lived in New York so I had to back it up by an hour, or else the assignment would be late. So that might be a challenge for you, bu that's also gonna be the same for UNE. 

Okay, for UNE micro final, I remember it to be pretty challenging. So, through the whole course, it was open note, then boom, the final was closed. I managed to get my grade to the high 90s so when I scored a whomping 75 on the final, I still had a hugggeee buffer. If you can, I would say drop it and take it at doane! Of course, the paced thing is a trade off, however, I don't think you need to spend more than 3 hours a day in the week to get all the stuff done. UNE however, you might spend more time studying and trying to fully know ALL the material (which feels impossible for an at home micro class), than you would with a doane class. After I took my first semester at doane, I never looked back to UNE (took micro and physics there)!

eep i love the questions! lmk if you have anymore ! 

Hi there!! I am looking to retake some prerequisites online. Do the schools definitely accept these classes? I am a bit skeptical about online credits and am just confused as to which ones are credible!! 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, alhammock said:

Hi there!! I am looking to retake some prerequisites online. Do the schools definitely accept these classes? I am a bit skeptical about online credits and am just confused as to which ones are credible!! 

Yes. I've had a few interviews and acceptances so far and took almost all of my prereqs online, including at-home labs. HOWEVER, there is the occasional school that will not accept online classes or distance learning for labs. One I know of is Quinnipiac, but they make this very clear on their website. Just read the prereqs carefully. I applied to 10 schools and they all accepted all of my coursework. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to chime in that I'm currently taking Human Genetics through Yuba College (based out of northern California) with R. Robinson and I'm really liking it. Super manageable workload and pace, predictable schedule. It's definitely a beginner course, not advanced / upper-division genetics, but is great if that's all you need. 1 quiz, 1 discussion post, and 1 short homework assignment per week. I work full-time and am able to keep an A grade without issue.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, mands said:

University of Vermont: Anatomy & Physiology 1 (nonproctored exams)

Doane: Ethics, Biochem, OChem I, Biology I, Genetics (nonproctored exams, very easy)

MCPHS: Calculus I (Nonproctored exams, self paced- I finished this in a week)

Stonybrook Uni - BioMed Clinical Challenges in the 21st Century (1 month long course, no exams, 1 major project, easy quizzes every week, just need to watch lecture and marked that you watched it at the end)

If anyone has a question about any of these courses or schools, LMK, I took them all! 

Hi!!!

I am planning on taking BioChem at Doane, I thought I read that all exams are proctored. Also, how would rate this course??

TIA