2019-2020 Cycle Emory and Henry

1 hour ago, Amilah124 said:

Hey! Thanks for starting the thread. Wishing everyone the best this cycle!

Submitted and Verified July 1st. I also received an interview invite for September 14th. 

Im so excited I feel like crying! 

Did you receive any sort of confirmation email after submitting?

15 hours ago, Letsdothis said:

Did you receive any sort of confirmation email after submitting?

@Let'sDoThis I don’t believe I did, only an email to interview. But I wouldn’t be discouraged, they have multiple interview dates, and are most likely still selecting students for the first one. 

We were both super early, so hopefully you should hear something soon. Best of luck! 😊

Question - Emory and Henry's application requires 100 hours of community service volunteer at the time of the application and I am shy of the 100 hours but will have 100 plus hours by August? And my capsa has already been submitted and I did not have a letter from a college professor. Do you know if Emory and Henry would accept the letter directly from the professor??  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

On 7/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, George16 said:

Question - Emory and Henry's application requires 100 hours of community service volunteer at the time of the application and I am shy of the 100 hours but will have 100 plus hours by August? And my capsa has already been submitted and I did not have a letter from a college professor. Do you know if Emory and Henry would accept the letter directly from the professor??  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

@George16

Honestly I am not sure. I suggest calling or emailing the school to see if the letter can be mailed. I don’t see why that should be a problem. Although they may need it to be official in CASPA because who’s to say you didn’t write the letter yourself? CASPA requires the letter to emailed in by the individual and then it could be seen as unfair because other people have to wait for verification. Etc etc. But it never hurts to ask!! 😊

You could also contact CASPA and see if you can upload it, CASPA allows you to make a few changes in your application after submission.

As for the Volunteeer hours. That’s a hard one, schools are usually very strict on their rules and what is required before applying. I would think they usually don’t make exceptions to be fair. But I would also call and ask, to be sure. I really hope they accept it for you!! But in my personal opinion I don’t think the response would be in your favor. 

Good luck! 🍀 

Edited by Amilah124

Guest thatgirlonabike

Hey everyone. I'm a current student (PAS-1 so I'm just finishing my first semester).  I'd be happy to answer any questions either on the public forum or via PM.  I couldn't be happier in my choice of coming to this program.  

On 7/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

Hey everyone. I'm a current student (PAS-1 so I'm just finishing my first semester).  I'd be happy to answer any questions either on the public forum or via PM.  I couldn't be happier in my choice of coming to this program.  

Hi, do you know how soon after an interview do they accept students? I am wondering if there are fewer seats available after each round of interviews.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:52 PM, Amilah124 said:

Hey! Thanks for starting the thread. Wishing everyone the best this cycle!

Submitted and Verified July 1st. I also received an interview invite for September 14th. 

Im so excited I feel like crying! 

I’ll be interviewing on that day as well! Can’t wait!

• Like 1

Guest thatgirlonabike
18 hours ago, array1 said:

Hi, do you know how soon after an interview do they accept students? I am wondering if there are fewer seats available after each round of interviews.

I got a call before I even got back to my AirBnb after my interview.  

@thatgirlonabike

Thank you for helping us answer the questions we have. I thought of a few.

1.) About how many applicants did you interview with, and in your opinion how many students do you think they typically accepted per interview day?

2.) Did you bring a family member with you to your interview? I know it’s not required but do you think this might look like your not interested if you didn’t? Did you notice most students with family?

3.) How are clinical rotations looking for your class? Do you think that Emory and Henry has a lot of near by places to do them? Or are student finding themselves traveling far?

4.) I heard that good housing was scarce. Did you find yourself running into trouble with this? 

Thank you! Sorry for the overload of questions.

Guest thatgirlonabike

@Amilah124

There were only 6 people at my interview in December.  I hear that the other ones were much larger (15-20ish). I don't think they have a plan of how many people they accept at each interview- it just depends on how many they like I guess.  
I did bring my partner with me for the interview.  He had a lot of time to ask questions and talk to current students and other interviewees.  Most people at my interview had a family member and were from driving distance.  I feel like the people that didn't had to fly in.  I don't think it will have any bearing on your interview at all.  

Ballad Health recently merged and that has affected our clinicals some.  Some second years are having to drive an hour for their rotations ( like to Johnson CIty and Bristol).  There are plenty that are much closer as well.  The preceptors we have had in the past have all loved precepting E&H students are coming back and asking for more!  

Housing isn't that hard to come across.  The School of Health Sciences has caused a huge uptick of new apartments.  They are actually working on some new apartments right now right across from campus.  I live downtown and had my choice of options.  Housing is very reasonable.  If you are in a position to purchase you can find a lot of single family homes for under 100K.  

2 hours ago, thatgirlonabike said:

@Amilah124

There were only 6 people at my interview in December.  I hear that the other ones were much larger (15-20ish). I don't think they have a plan of how many people they accept at each interview- it just depends on how many they like I guess.  
I did bring my partner with me for the interview.  He had a lot of time to ask questions and talk to current students and other interviewees.  Most people at my interview had a family member and were from driving distance.  I feel like the people that didn't had to fly in.  I don't think it will have any bearing on your interview at all.  

Ballad Health recently merged and that has affected our clinicals some.  Some second years are having to drive an hour for their rotations ( like to Johnson CIty and Bristol).  There are plenty that are much closer as well.  The preceptors we have had in the past have all loved precepting E&H students are coming back and asking for more!  

Housing isn't that hard to come across.  The School of Health Sciences has caused a huge uptick of new apartments.  They are actually working on some new apartments right now right across from campus.  I live downtown and had my choice of options.  Housing is very reasonable.  If you are in a position to purchase you can find a lot of single family homes for under 100K.  

@thatgirlonabike

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these! It definitely makes me feel less stressed about everything! 😭

Thank you enjoy your weekend! 

Edited by Amilah124

On 7/27/2019 at 2:31 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

@Amilah124

So, I have a question! They said we have to take a test at the interview, a pre-PA admissions test assessing the level of knowledge we have on content we’ll study in school. Has anyone had to take one of these before? They said it was new this year. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, brookecahn1 said:

I will be interviewing on September 14th as well! Could't be more excited/nervous. Anyone from out of state know where they're staying yet, or know of the best hotels or any good air bnbs in the area?

The Francis Marion is a nice place downtown. I would reserve a room now, because their space is limited. Otherwise, I can't recommend any other places in town. Abdingdon and Wytheville are the two closest towns that you can look into for better hotel chains. Good luck with your interview.