Any international PA or PA students out there?

I am from Taiwan, applying to PA school this year. 

Is there anyone here that's either a practicing PA or PA student that comes from outside of US, potentially a country that doesn't speak English? 

What helped you on your application that got you admitted to PA schools? And is there any PA schools that you would recommend for international students? 

I have around 1500 hours of patient contact, GPA of 3.97, and TOEFL score of 102 out of 120. 

Currently I am looking into schools in New York, Texas, and California, since they seem to have more opportunity for future employment as a bilingual provider (Chinese and English)

I appreciate any advice, thank you guys so much!!!

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Justinasyu said:

I am from Taiwan, applying to PA school this year. 

Is there anyone here that's either a practicing PA or PA student that comes from outside of US, potentially a country that doesn't speak English? 

What helped you on your application that got you admitted to PA schools? And is there any PA schools that you would recommend for international students? 

I have around 1500 hours of patient contact, GPA of 3.97, and TOEFL score of 102 out of 120. 

Currently I am looking into schools in New York, Texas, and California, since they seem to have more opportunity for future employment as a bilingual provider (Chinese and English)

I appreciate any advice, thank you guys so much!!!

Hey JustinAsyu, I hope by this time, you would have had some luck on your application and some interviews! I am also an international student from Africa! I have applied to about 10 different schools from all over the U.S. I have an interview at Rutgers University so far and still waiting to hear back from the other schools. In my application, i was pretty honest about my desire for P.A and my determination to learn as much as i could. i think the fact that i am a diverse student also helps a lot, i beleive it will work well in your favor too if you spin it correctly and tie it in to your desirr for P.A! I wish you well haha 🙂 We internationals need to stick together 🙂 Let me know if you have any other questions

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, ChanLI said:

Hey JustinAsyu, I hope by this time, you would have had some luck on your application and some interviews! I am also an international student from Africa! I have applied to about 10 different schools from all over the U.S. I have an interview at Rutgers University so far and still waiting to hear back from the other schools. In my application, i was pretty honest about my desire for P.A and my determination to learn as much as i could. i think the fact that i am a diverse student also helps a lot, i beleive it will work well in your favor too if you spin it correctly and tie it in to your desirr for P.A! I wish you well haha 🙂 We internationals need to stick together 🙂 Let me know if you have any other questions

Thank you so much!!! I've only applied for three programs this year. The only interview invitation that I've gotten so far is for Ohio university, best of luck to you and your interview!!

On 8/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, imeffjay said:

Hey,

I hope you guys got into PA school! I will be applying to a few schools next year. I was wondering if you have any idea about the chances of getting a job in the States after the program? For us, international students. Hope to hear back from you guys!

I have no idea about how international PA's get jobs here in the States, but I am currently working as a project engineer (my undergraduate degree did not have a lot to do with medicine haha) and honestly if you are hooked up with the right people it is not hard to find a job here. I think the things I would worry more about would be the sponsorship (but I've also heard from other people that as long as you establish a good relationship with the company, if they can afford it then they usually don't have much problem with it) after the OPT expires. 

• 7 months later...

Hi @Justinasyu

I just came across this post and saw you are applying this year to PA school, right? If I am too late to the game with this advice im sorry haha...

So I travelled to Taiwan and studied abroad in Taipei and Taichung 🙂 I miss it! So I would recommend also looking at schools in Pittsburgh: Chatham University and The University of Pittsburgh PA programs. Also, George Washington University or Howard University in Washington DC. Both areas I have lived in and are good for Chinese/English language and culture but my favorite is Pittsburgh. 

Good luck with your applications! 

Edited by catsandscrubs

21 hours ago, catsandscrubs said:

Hi @Justinasyu

I just came across this post and saw you are applying this year to PA school, right? If I am too late to the game with this advice im sorry haha...

So I travelled to Taiwan and studied abroad in Taipei and Taichung 🙂 I miss it! So I would recommend also looking at schools in Pittsburgh: Chatham University and The University of Pittsburgh PA programs. Also, George Washington University or Howard University in Washington DC. Both areas I have lived in and are good for Chinese/English language and culture but my favorite is Pittsburgh. 

Good luck with your applications! 

Thank you so much! i've heard of Chatham and George Washington! Seem like really good school! 

I actually got accepted into the PA program of Ohio university last year, the school just got pushed back due to the pandemic. 

I will definitely take your recommendation when I am looking for jobs later on! Thank you!!!!

Stay safe wherever you are 🙂

• 1 month later...

hello @Justinasyu

I am also an international undergraduate student. I also am interested in applying PA school, but being an international student I have found it difficult to obtain HCE and PCE due to restrictions from my visa status. Can you give me some tips on how you were able to obtain 1500 patient care hours?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:08 PM, memegh98 said:

hello @Justinasyu

I am also an international undergraduate student. I also am interested in applying PA school, but being an international student I have found it difficult to obtain HCE and PCE due to restrictions from my visa status. Can you give me some tips on how you were able to obtain 1500 patient care hours?

Thanks!

Hi, 

I am an international student and I got in PA schools without any direct patient care hours. It is very difficult to find PCE without potentially using the OPT year after graduation. I would recommend trying to volunteer and shadow as much as possible while making sure your academics and other experiences are strong. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:08 AM, memegh98 said:

hello @Justinasyu

Thanks!

Yes for sure! So what I did was using my CPT to obtain those HCE. My undergrad major was public health/occupational safety and health. And I found a job as an ER medical scribe so I applied for CPT with that (just so that you are aware. CPT are usually used for internship and you have to be enrolled in an internship class for it. Which is what I did). After the internship course ended I just continued working in the ER until I graduated. My OPT was actually used for an occupational safety position in a different company which had nothing to do with patient contact so I didn’t get any hours from that. Hope it helps! Feel free to message 🙂

• 1 year later...

Hello @Justinasyu

I am currently pursuing my undergraduate degree in cardiac technology in India. And I’m soon gonna apply to PA schools in USA, once I get a good amount of direct patient care experience, But as an international student I have a lot of doubts and confusion and I basically  don’t know where to start and what colleges to short list. Do you know anyone from India who has got into the PA program or trying to apply?

it will be very helpful! 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, imeffjay said:

Hey,

I hope you guys got into PA school! I will be applying to a few schools next year. I was wondering if you have any idea about the chances of getting a job in the States after the program? For us, international students. Hope to hear back from you guys!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I don't really check this forum that often I guess. 

I am currently a second year PA student. To be honest there are not that many data out there as far as international students chances of employment. However, due to COVID-19, there is a lot of shortage in healthcare currently so I would imagine that as long as you are doing great in school it wouldn't be too difficult to get hired. Obviously as international student we still have to worry about work visa and all the logistics around that though. Hope it helps and I hope you got in as well! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yashdoshi said:

Hello @Justinasyu

I am currently pursuing my undergraduate degree in cardiac technology in India. And I’m soon gonna apply to PA schools in USA, once I get a good amount of direct patient care experience, But as an international student I have a lot of doubts and confusion and I basically  don’t know where to start and what colleges to short list. Do you know anyone from India who has got into the PA program or trying to apply?

it will be very helpful! 

Hi! To be honest I am not too sure about any education outside of the US. I got my undergrad as well as all the prerequisite courses in the States. You will likely have to transfer/convert the credits you take in India (depending on the school, they may or may not accept the coursework, and this conversion will likely have to be done by a third party institution), ensure that you've met all the requirements just like any other student applying from the US, and do the interview. If anything, I will talk to the PA school admission office to make sure that what you are taking in India will count towards their requirement. Hope this help and feel free to reach out if you have more questions! 

@Justinasyu

hey! Thanks for the instant reply 😄

yeah according to how much I’ve researched I have to submit my transcripts and other course related documents to get evaluated by WES, once they get approved I’m good to go, I am planning to apply at CUNY, but I need more backup options and therefore having a hard time short listing the colleges. 
Anyways, thank you for reaching out and also I would like to connect with an international PA student/ applicant with my kinda situation,if at all you know any.

1 minute ago, Yashdoshi said:

@Justinasyu

hey! Thanks for the instant reply 😄

yeah according to how much I’ve researched I have to submit my transcripts and other course related documents to get evaluated by WES, once they get approved I’m good to go, I am planning to apply at CUNY, but I need more backup options and therefore having a hard time short listing the colleges. 
Anyways, thank you for reaching out and also I would like to connect with an international PA student/ applicant with my kinda situation,if at all you know any.

unfortunately all the international PA students I know have completed their bachelor in the states 😞

• 2 months later...

Hi @Justinasyu

I am planning to start with post bacc program to get pre-requisite subject prior to applying PA school. However, in regards to work as PA after PA school, i heard is hard to continue working in the US due to visa issue and not many employer are willing to sponsor. May i know at the moment are you still working as a PA in US and if yes, how do you go about it? Appreciate and thanks in advance! 

There are shortage areas within the US that might be more willing to sponsor expatriate PAs working here, like the bureau of prisons, some rural sites. This is to get work experience. I entered PA school (as an American) in 1979 with the intention of working abroad for my career. But I quickly ran into problems while abroad. I was idealistic, thinking that with all the needs in the developing world, they would love to have me. But soon, it became clear that unless a country has clear laws describing the role of the PA and regulating them, there are no jobs. I even worked off the radar in the Middle East (in a slum) for two years and faced deportation or arrest at times. I also ran into to plenty of situations where local MDs were under-employed and did not want an American non-MD coming in taking medical jobs and I won't even get started talking about nurses, which is an international career from the start. Do you homework on PA laws. Here is a good starting point. But don't assume the need for trained medical personnel will be welcomed in healthcare shortage areas. Good luck!

On 7/7/2022 at 1:44 AM, crystal712 said:

Hi @Justinasyu

I am planning to start with post bacc program to get pre-requisite subject prior to applying PA school. However, in regards to work as PA after PA school, i heard is hard to continue working in the US due to visa issue and not many employer are willing to sponsor. May i know at the moment are you still working as a PA in US and if yes, how do you go about it? Appreciate and thanks in advance! 

Hi. Unfortunately, I am still in school, waiting to graduate next year. From all I heard as long as you find a sponsor it shouldn't be that difficult. The company I worked with after graduating from undergrad was willing to sponsor me (though I declined the offer in order to come to PA school). It's important to network while you're in school to ensure that you have employment once you're out of school. At the moment, it seems like we are in such shortage of healthcare providers that hopefully it won't be difficult for job search in the coming years. Best of luck to your journey! 

20 hours ago, jmj11 said:

There are shortage areas within the US that might be more willing to sponsor expatriate PAs working here, like the bureau of prisons, some rural sites. This is to get work experience. I entered PA school (as an American) in 1979 with the intention of working abroad for my career. But I quickly ran into problems while abroad. I was idealistic, thinking that with all the needs in the developing world, they would love to have me. But soon, it became clear that unless a country has clear laws describing the role of the PA and regulating them, there are no jobs. I even worked off the radar in the Middle East (in a slum) for two years and faced deportation or arrest at times. I also ran into to plenty of situations where local MDs were under-employed and did not want an American non-MD coming in taking medical jobs and I won't even get started talking about nurses, which is an international career from the start. Do you homework on PA laws. Here is a good starting point. But don't assume the need for trained medical personnel will be welcomed in healthcare shortage areas. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your input! I'd love to learn more about your experience practicing outside the US if you're open! I have considered working in Canada or Australia as back up plans if work visa doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello friends, 

I am MPH international student from India, i am a doctor from India, i am interested to do physicians assistant course from usa, i need some help in here, i am so new to all these things, is there any international indian students who shares same story and background like me and who is already a physician assistant or is trying to get in a Program or has applied and waiting where i can ask basic questions regarding PA progrm, pre-requisites , school, etc, please comment if you even know someone who cn be of help, thanks so much. Really in need of great advices here. Reading to all these posts are so confusing to me at this moment. 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:06 AM, Ishani said:

Hello friends, 

I am MPH international student from India, i am a doctor from India, i am interested to do physicians assistant course from usa, i need some help in here, i am so new to all these things, is there any international indian students who shares same story and background like me and who is already a physician assistant or is trying to get in a Program or has applied and waiting where i can ask basic questions regarding PA progrm, pre-requisites , school, etc, please comment if you even know someone who cn be of help, thanks so much. Really in need of great advices here. Reading to all these posts are so confusing to me at this moment. 

Hello, 

Are you in India or US? PA schools in the US requires various classes (as far as I know, I have never heard of students who were able to satisfy these prerequisite course requirements from institutes outside the US), so that may be something to consider if you are thinking about coming here and becoming a PA. For physicians who are trained outside the US, you may also look into doing a residency program in the US to allow you to sit for the board and practice in the states, the hospital I used to work in had quite a few residents from the middle east who did that. So that's another option, hope that helps! If you have other questions, feel free to ask them here. 

Justina

• 1 month later...

Dear  @Justinasyu

Congratulations on your acceptance to Ohio U. pa program as an international student, I have been going through the same path as you and have been accepted to PA school as well. I am from Ecuador and also grauduated and obtained my clinical experiece from the states. As the rest of the international students adn applicats here I am also concerned about employement after completing PA school. Please keep us updated of where you will end-up woorking with your OTP (which I believe as part of STEM can actually be renewed for one or two more years? but not sure, at least I believe its true for undergraduate degrees in STEM). I was wondering where did you get offered sponsorhip during your clinical experience years, was this an engineering job or healthcare job? And if healthcare then, could you maybe come back with them to get your sponsorhip? Let us know how your rotations are going! I enjoyed learning about your journey to PA school!