"I work medical..."

I just love it when I tell a patient they don't need an antibiotic and they respond saying, "I work medical, I know what I'm talking about...I need an antibiotic!"  Every time I follow up immediately with, "Oh really!!!  What do you do?"

Just had a patient do this and told me is the front desk attendant at a local optometrist's office...seriously...YOU'RE medical...my dog is more "medical" than her...I guess there goes my Press Ganey score for the day!

Buwaaaahhhhh!

I used to get that i the Army all the time when I was the senior PA for 3 basic training clinics. "I called my mom and she said...she's medical." What does your mom do? X-ray tech, MA at a nursing home, Receptionist at a doctor's office etc etc.

I forgot my favorite thing... the EMT that comes to his/her visit, off duty, but wearing a big hero holster full of instruments and carrying a radio or scanner.

Press-Ganey..... (spits on ground)

I always figure when someone says "I work in the medical field", they are a receptionist, scheduler... because if they were a nurse, they would say "I'm a nurse, jack".  I rarely tell the medical people what I do, because 1. I want to see how they treat regular people, and 2. I figure they know what they are doing.  

In any case, the second I hear "I'm in the medical field" my brain flatlines.  I mean, literally.  It has to.  Otherwise, I would start asking snarky comments, like "oh really?  so what's the side effects of chronic steroid use, jackass?", or "oh, Levaquin for your cold?  what's that about the black box warning?" or "you've tried every single thing?  every.single.thing?  so, why are you here again?  because whatever I recommend, you've tried it, right?"

Man, its been a long day.

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Buwaaaahhhhh!

I used to get that i the Army all the time when I was the senior PA for 3 basic training clinics. "I called my mom and she said...she's medical." What does your mom do? X-ray tech, MA at a nursing home, Receptionist at a doctor's office etc etc

Press-Ganey..... (spits on ground)

I got a call from my boss one day asking about a patient of mine at the military college many moons ago regarding why we weren't treating Jimmy Joe's tonsillitis...I replied " The kid has mono - is Mummy or Duddy Dr or Colonel/General Mummy/Duddy?"  "No - they're just concerned because the family doc says he should be better already and that he couldn't possibly have mono with a throat that sore".  I stared at the phone for a sec (my boss was one of the best PA's trained by the Canadian Army at that point) and said 'Perhaps you should suggest they find a new FMD, as clearly they've not seen someone with mono anytime in the last century".

Had another kid not want to follow up with us properly regarding his ORIF and hardware that was sticking out - "My mom's a trauma radiologist' with the upturned nose a lot of these officer wannabe's have.  I suggested "Ask her what osteomyelitis is and how long it would set your healing time back, your degree and graduation/commissioning."  No problems with them again...

SK

Archived