Best Simulation Lab/Facilities?

Hi everyone-

So last cycle I was accepted to one school but fell in love with another- High Point had amazing facilities and simulation labs which I personally feel would help me learn the material better and make the experience more enjoyable. The school I was accepted at only had one simulation doll whereas high point has over 10. This cycle I am thinking of applying to High point, Elon, Campbell, EVMS and ECU. Does anyone have any insight on the other schools' facilities? I am overseas so I am unable to tour them and some of them don't have a ton of information and pictures online. 

2 hours ago, KirstenR said:

Hi everyone-

So last cycle I was accepted to one school but fell in love with another- High Point had amazing facilities and simulation labs which I personally feel would help me learn the material better and make the experience more enjoyable. The school I was accepted at only had one simulation doll whereas high point has over 10. This cycle I am thinking of applying to High point, Elon, Campbell, EVMS and ECU. Does anyone have any insight on the other schools' facilities? I am overseas so I am unable to tour them and some of them don't have a ton of information and pictures online. 

I have been accepted to Campbell University and will be starting July 31st.  The facilities are brand new and have great sim labs and more.  I can't compare to other programs as I did not get interviewed anywhere else or tour but can say many have supported the fact Campbell has top notch facilities and amazing instructors too.   

From my experience in PA schools what really matters is a simulated patient with an actor, a real human being.  So far sim dolls have been more for practicing skills for a code or something like when we went through ACLS.  Your physical exam skills class is probably more important than how many sim dolls there are. 

• Like 1

Guest HanSolo

Our program uses both standardized patients and high-fidelity mannequins. We also record our interactions. They have their uses and are OK for certain instruction, but I'd rather just spend that time in clinic with a real patient. I would advise against making a decision on where to attend school based on their sim lab unless all other aspects are equal. You'll practice most of your physical exam skills on your classmates/roommates/significant other, anyway. Standardized patients aren't cheap. 

Great advice above. We practice A LOT with real "patients", very little with the SIMs (like someone else said, they're more used for ACLS). You WILL act/talk differently when it's a SIM vs a real person, and I personally would much rather get that practice on a real human being. If the majority of your practice is with SIMs I'd hazard a guess you'll be feeling a lot more uncomfortable once clinicals start and you're seeing real patients. So I agree - don't make the choice based on the sim lab alone. 

Agreed with sentiments so far. Sim lab should not make or break your decision to attend a program. Our practicals have been with live people. Honestly, working with the mannequin is a bit awkward since you have to speak to it like a real human being.