Question regarding out of state schools

Hello all, this is my first time on this forum but I wanted y'alls input on which out of state schools would be good to add to the list of schools to apply to? I was pre med for a while but recently switched over to PA which is a good thing but also a bad thing because I lack in a few areas regarding my application. I graduated with a 3.9 and a little over a 3.8 for my science GPA. I have accumulated about 1,000 clinical/Patient care hours from a job at a hospital and another 800 from being a health coach. I played D1 football at a big Texas school for multiple years and have over 600 hours volunteering through church and from programs working with those with special needs.  I don't have any PA shadowing experience yet but will add it if i can get it in May. I believe I lack PTC experience since I don't have that many hours compared to others which is why I'm reaching out for some input. Any information will help! Also I'm a white male Texas Resident if that helps. 

Nobody can really give you a rundown list of schools to apply to, you'll have to do your own research. Obviously with your PCE/HCE hours being on the lower end you would want to choose schools that have matriculated class averages around your current hours. You can also look at the number of hours a school requires as some only require 100, 250, etc...

I guess I should have asked if anyone is familiar with PA programs that give no preference to in state applicants vs. out of state applicants? I have searched various programs and their information and am having a hard time finding each schools matriculation averages, is there a specific place I can go to in order to view that information? 

Most PA schools don't give preference to in-state applicants. Some do though. The only way to find out is to look at a school's website. They usually state if they prefer residents of a certain state or region.

Also, your stats are similar to mine and I received interviews at Duke, Baylor, and Pacific. You are probably a good candidate for any of those programs.

1 hour ago, hmtpnw said:

Most PA schools don't give preference to in-state applicants. Some do though. The only way to find out is to look at a school's website. They usually state if they prefer residents of a certain state or region.

Also, your stats are similar to mine and I received interviews at Duke, Baylor, and Pacific. You are probably a good candidate for any of those programs.

I actually disagree. A lot of schools prefer in-state applicants and actually accept primarily in-state applicants. I know UAB, South Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, FSU, Samford, Tennessee, and most Texas schools focus on in-state applicants far more than OOS. Most state schools in the Southeast prefer in-state applicants from my experience and talking to adcoms. Private schools and for-profit schools tend to be the ones that usually don't have a preference. I'm speaking behalf of Southeastern schools so your mileage may vary depending on what part of the country you're from.

To answer OP on out-of-state suggestions I received out-of-state interviews for South University (Richmond campus), South College (all campuses), University of Tampa, Mississippi College, University of Arkansas, and PCOM in Atlanta. South Carolina and North Carolina schools are out-of-state friendly for the most part as well. I would have added most schools from those two states had I needed a second cycle.

8 hours ago, Ollivander said:

I actually disagree. A lot of schools prefer in-state applicants and actually accept primarily in-state applicants. I know UAB, South Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, FSU, Samford, Tennessee, and most Texas schools focus on in-state applicants far more than OOS. Most state schools in the Southeast prefer in-state applicants from my experience and talking to adcoms. Private schools and for-profit schools tend to be the ones that usually don't have a preference. I'm speaking behalf of Southeastern schools so your mileage may vary depending on what part of the country you're from.

To answer OP on out-of-state suggestions I received out-of-state interviews for South University (Richmond campus), South College (all campuses), University of Tampa, Mississippi College, University of Arkansas, and PCOM in Atlanta. South Carolina and North Carolina schools are out-of-state friendly for the most part as well. I would have added most schools from those two states had I needed a second cycle.

Hmm. This is good to know! All of the OOS schools I picked didn’t show any preference towards residents, but it sounds like that may have just been coincidental.

Purchase the Applicants Manual of Physician assistant programs

Will tell you all you need to know.

sn: your hours are low. I suggest you aggressively look for PA shadowing opportunities. That could possibly make or break you w/ these stats. additionally, apply to schools that require little to no HCE.. Your GPA may be high enough to offset this, if it is the right school.

Mississippi College offered me an interview when my hours were close to yours. 

This is just my personal opinion.

Edited by BrittanyJ95