ADMIN wants my help...

I'm on straight RVU based compensation - in other words, if I'm not seeing patient's i'm not generating income. 

Admin wants my input on a new EMR and  asked me to come along with them to look at the system. It will take a day away from clinic.  

Think I should ask for some sort of compensation for this or let it go?  If so, any idea what to ask for? 

3 hours ago, SCPA said:

I'm on straight RVU based compensation - in other words, if I'm not seeing patient's i'm not generating income. 

Admin wants my input on a new EMR and  asked me to come along with them to look at the system. It will take a day away from clinic.  

Think I should ask for some sort of compensation for this or let it go?  If so, any idea what to ask for? 

Normally I would rush to say yes ask for compensation, but upon reflection I would ask a few questions of yourself first.

1.  What kind of relationship do you have with him/her.  Would helping them out by giving input build good will and perhaps some solid political capital?

2.  Do you make a lot of money on your RVU system that would cover the day even if not compensated?

Personally, I would go either way.  The EMR is the single more important tool in your/our jobs.  If it sucks, I suck.  If it rocks, it can make me (my throughput times) look good.  I would love to give my 2cents on it either way.

think a lot of this comes down to how much you are paid

if you are >$200k - sure go

if you are under $140k - say that you would need to be compensated

in the $140-200k range is tough - paid well, but.......

Then their is the other side of it....  do you want to be one of the "in the know" people for a new EMR?  This likely might put a LOT more stress on your job, and then they make you a super user and expect you to help everyone else get up to speed, then you are up at midnight at home, not getting paid, dealing with IT issues......

overall you need to define the expectation, and make sure it is reasonable 

Archived