Prerequisite Coursework

I have been looking into PA programs to figure out which ones to apply to in the upcoming cycle. For some schools I meet all their prerequisite coursework, but for other schools I am a class or two short. I did not take abnormal psychology or sociology in my undergrad program, but I took all the core classes most PA schools want to see. What I am wondering is if it is a bad idea to apply to programs where I am missing a prerequisite. Will schools still view my application if I don't have every prerequisite they want? I don't want to waste my time and money applying to schools if they won't even consider me. 

I have been looking into PA programs to figure out which ones to apply to in the upcoming cycle. For some schools I meet all their prerequisite coursework, but for other schools I am a class or two short. I did not take abnormal psychology or sociology in my undergrad program, but I took all the core classes most PA schools want to see. What I am wondering is if it is a bad idea to apply to programs where I am missing a prerequisite. Will schools still view my application if I don't have every prerequisite they want? I don't want to waste my time and money applying to schools if they won't even consider me. 

It varies. Many schools want to see your plan that will allow you to complete any outstanding prereqs before your PA program would begin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pre-Reqs are required.  If you haven't taken them or don't plan to take them, you're wasting your time and money by applying.

You CAN have them in process or planned if you're actually planning to do that.  

Programs have thousands of applications.  They won't waste their time by reviewing applications that don't meet all requirements (this includes age of pre-reqs, GPA, GRE, etc etc).

Guest HopeToBePAC

Most schools will let you have 1 or 2 prerequisites pending at time of application. Basically, they'll give you a certain time frame to complete it after submitting your open if you don't have it done, whether that be by the end of the year you apply or by matriculation. 

However, there are schools that want ALL prerequisites complete BEFORE applying. This is something you need to look for on the school's website, or call them and ask.

Like above posters have said, it varies program to program. Check with individual programs, and make your decision based on that.

Archived