Want to Leave EM--Where Next?

37 minutes ago, surgblumm said:

I agree in terms of volume but it is an unusual day to get a very esoteric case and there is no major trauma. When I formally work in the ER in the late evening I hated a trauma case at 10 PM because it took me two hours after getting home to think about the outcome for the patient.

the trick is to do 24s....:)

48 minutes ago, surgblumm said:

I agree in terms of volume but it is an unusual day to get a very esoteric case and there is no major trauma. When I formally work in the ER in the late evening I hated a trauma case at 10 PM because it took me two hours after getting home to think about the outcome for the patient.

Bob I worked in a 3 bay critical access ER in a 20 bed hospital. Big stuff wasn't common but I had gun shots, knifings, a mass casualty multiple car accident (5 people...a mass casualty for us), severe beatings, alcoholic comas (college town)...it was a lot of mundane stuff but certainly had its share of big stuff.

my last UC job was solo coverage 24 hrs. it was in the hospital space which used to be the old ED before another hospital took over and closed everything except physician offices, inpatient psych and UC.  needless to say, the community still thought of it as the local ED. I treated(stabilized and shipped) gunshots, stemis  CVAs, stabbings, numerous drug ODs, delivered a baby, etc. 20-40 pts/12 hrs. no thanks.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Agreed! Having done some urgent care when I was in FM, would do rural ED with only a glucometer before I do UC again.

So much this! I do not enjoy urgent care in the least.  I find the never ending antibiotic fights and last 10 min of the day "I've had a runny nose for 15 years, I demand that it be cured right now" stuff more stressful than my solo rural ED gig.  

Archived