UC and EM leads

Hello everyone!

I know this is a little bit of a reach. But the community has been quite amazing over the years and I was curious if anyone had any leads on EM/UC jobs in Texas. I interviewed for the Baylor EM fellowship but unfortunately wasn't selected. I've applied to countless positions and talked to numerous recruiters over the last two months with limited success.  I know its pretty tough as a new grad and as expected the lack of experience is the greatest barrier ( -_- ). I'm not picky about where I work or anything, I'm just ready to hit the ground running and start working. Open to really any location, type (Temp, Locum, Perm) and hours (yay, being single?!). Thanks y'all are the best!

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

One of our forum members has run into some issues with credentialing in DFW since the hospitals want procedure logs.  New, no prior experience other than clinical rotations, and no logs?  May be next to impossible now.

my students from Medex develop an online procedures and case log during rotations. Looks like a pain in the butt to do, but gives a nice print out when they are done, which lists every chief complaint, every procedure done, assisted, or observed. That would probably help someone get a job. When I was in school, we did this on paper.

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

One of our forum members has run into some issues with credentialing in DFW since the hospitals want procedure logs.  New, no prior experience other than clinical rotations, and no logs?  May be next to impossible now.

I've not seen any Urgent Care positions requiring this.

If there is any good news, My school used a case logging system for every patient was saw (ICD/CPT codes with competencies such as suturing, joint injection, I&D). So as long as they accept them from PA school, I should be alright. I hope all those hours on hours logging on Typhon weren't for nothing, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Still applying,  I've kinda broadened my search to include orthopedics (my experience before PA school). I've gotten quite a few interviews for orthopedics but was really hoping to do UC/EM (stay general for a while). I think I may do UC/EM PRN after I get my feet established. Unfortunately, unless you know someone, new grads are not really being considered for UC/EM positions it seems like. I've only gotten 1 call back and 1 interview from all the UC/EM positions I've applied to in Texas (50-60+ over last 2-3 months).

Still staying optimistic but maybe this is a sign ortho was just meant for me, haha.

13 hours ago, Cideous said:

Mercy.  When I graduated there were 12-15 jobs for every PA in Texas.  How times have changed...

There are still a ton of jobs, definitely not a shortage... but I guess they aren't considering new grads anymore for whatever reason.

After lots of stress and uncertainty, I accepted an Ortho position near my hometown with an amazing group who has only taken new grads and trained them up. They are open with moonlighting as long as it doesn't affect the current job. I'll probably look to do PRN UC in 6+ months after I get my feet wet and learn how to PA decently.

Archived