I need some help! Plz

Hello guys,

I am a student at a University and I am currently a senior going to graduate this summer12'. I want to be a PA more than anything and I am so scared and confused that I need some help. What are PA schools really looking for?

I applied to South College in Knox but I am pretty sure I did not get in. So I am wondering if I become a medical assistant or a CNA this summer and work for 4-5 months does that qualify as enough HCE? I mean I applied with 150 hrs in job shadowing but that's the best I could do with my school. My GPA is 3.64, a chemistry major from a University in TN. I really want to get in next round so I want to do things right and know exactly what qualifies and what doesn't! Do I even have shot or will it be yrs of HCE that I will have to get?

Thank you to anyone who replies. I appreciate it!!!!

W.

CNA is considered top tier....it would cut it depending on what you're doing....then again some ADCOMMS appreciate butt wipers...

the places around me consider paramedic/rn/rt to be top tier.

medical asst/lpn are second tier

cna/emt-basic is low tier

basically the more hrs you spend in training and the greater responsiblity you have for pt care the higher your experience will be rated. this may vary by location of course.

CNA is considered top tier....it would cut it depending on what you're doing....then again some ADCOMMS appreciate butt wipers...

How is CNA "top tier"? Not to sound harsh, but CNAs don't make patient care decisions, combat medics, RTs, paramedics and RNs do. At best CNA HCE is "mid tier", along with MAs and ED techs. By let's be honest, the whole tier system is probably only used in a handful of programs anyhow, with the current emphasis on GPA over HCE.

the places around me consider paramedic/rn/rt to be top tier.

medical asst/lpn are second tier

cna/emt-basic is low tier

basically the more hrs you spend in training the higher your experience will be rated. this may vary by location of course.

I have to agree with the above. I'm not knocking CNA work - it's far better than some of the applicants' experience that I've seen. I think that EMT training is a step above that of CNA as far as HCE goes, though. As an EMT you are required to be the decision maker when you operate in a BLS unit (think rural). On ALS rigs you at least have some input and a crap load of exposure. As a CNA there is a lot less decision making involved. At least, that's my $.02.

Andrew

How is CNA "top tier"? Not to sound harsh, but CNAs don't make patient care decisions, combat medics, RTs, paramedics and RNs do. At best CNA HCE is "mid tier", along with MAs and ED techs. By let's be honest, the whole tier system is probably only used in a handful of programs anyhow, with the current emphasis on GPA over HCE.

"Current emphasis on GPA over HCE"......How sad that our profession has stooped to this...sounds more like Med School..

"Current emphasis on GPA over HCE"......How sad that our profession has stooped to this...sounds more like Med School..

If only someone could do a study to demonstrate a significant outcome difference between students with a ton of experience and students with none. Because in spite of perceptions, I can tell you I have not seen a difference. And often it is the experienced people that demonstrate the worst behavioral problems in a class.

If only someone could do a study to demonstrate a significant outcome difference between students with a ton of experience and students with none. Because in spite of perceptions, I can tell you I have not seen a difference. And often it is the experienced people that demonstrate the worst behavioral problems in a class.

That most likely has to do with individual personalities and less from medical experience...and there is a difference when it comes to clinicals..

That most likely has to do with individual personalities and less from medical experience...and there is a difference when it comes to clinicals..

False. I love the stronghold on HCE is king. Anytime someone claims that HCE is the end all be all of PA school entry, nothing can argue.. butttt, when it comes to GPA being regarded as a strong proponent of entry, it is ridiculed almost to the point that some folks are embarrassed for the profession. Needs to stop.. seriously, that's childs play. ----> "that most likely has to do with individual personalities and less from medical experience"???

What I take from CJ's comment is that either students with lots of HCE think that they either know it all already, or the HCE replaced behavoris in the classroom (ie. study habits, note taking etc)... both can cause some issues IF you don't compensate and work harder. There's pros and cons to each applicants situation, neither is better... at the end of the day the students are there because they deserve to be there and assuming everyone works hard, everyone will come out with PA-C. Obviously you wouldn't be able to practice if you botched every rotation. Therefore, you learn the skills and apply it.

In my own experience, I am very adaptable... meaning I am a hand's on learner and I can catch on pretty quick. I don't have that star level experience, however I study hard, I retain, and I APPLY IT. I am sure that I can speak on behalf of many of those high GPA, low experience applicants.

I think the whole HCE tier concept is a bit overblown. From my experience in [recently] applying, most schools have preferred and unpreferred HCE roles rather than tiers. When considering that most schools do not require years and years of HCE, do you really think someone comes to the table with that much more to offer after only one year of supposed top tier experience vs third tier experience vs no experience at all? I would have to argue that the answer is no. The RN with 20 years experience is going to be way better off than the patient care tech with 1-2 years but the majority of applicants are not 20 year vets of the health care industry. I'm sure we also need to take into consideration the eventual fields of practice. Does the 8 years of EMT experience put that graduate far ahead of the graduate with a year of "low tier" HCE if both go into oncology? I highly doubt it.

I believe that each form of HCE will put that student a bit ahead in a particular area and perhaps even for years to come when it comes to those with a ton of HCE, but there wouldn't be a shift away from HCE as the main requirement to get in if those students were turning out to be incompetent providers.

Some like South I do believe not only look at GPA, but that you are a well rounded applicant. I can tell you that two years ago I did not even gain an interview and now I am part of the class of 2014 for South College. Make sure you have plenty of volunteer hours, more hands on healthcare hours than just shadowing, and a decent GRE score. Your GPA is fine because mine was slightly lower, but my GRE was higher this time around and I had some direct care experience as a CNA in a hospital setting. I work in a cardiac ICU unit and because of the area I work in I have been exposed to a variety of things. I think ultimately if you are able to show adcoms that you are committed to being a PA and that you can make it through a program, some will give consideration to someone who doesn't have a "perfect" GPA. However, it comes down to researching schools and applying to schools matching your qualifications.

Archived