Is New Grad anxiety normal?

Ive been working in an icu for 8 months and it was my first job out of school.  Everyday I still feel stressed and am questioning whether everything I did was right, and whether I am doing ok as a PA.  Is this normal to feel 8 months later?  How long should it take to feel comfortable working as a PA?  

12 hours ago, Q1234 said:

How long should it take to feel comfortable working as a PA?  

I've been at it over thirty years.  I still get uncomfortable sometimes.

My best advice: Don't let yourself get in over your head.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  No one practices medicine alone.  Learn something new every day.

13 hours ago, Q1234 said:

Ive been working in an icu 

This statement alone means you should have some anxiety as you walk into work no matter how many days, weeks, months, or years of experience you have.  The patients are in the ICU for a reason.  Doesn't mean you don't know what you are doing, it's the acuity of the patient.

I would actually be more worried if you didn't have some anxiety.

2 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

This statement alone means you should have some anxiety as you walk into work no matter how many days, weeks, months, or years of experience you have.  The patients are in the ICU for a reason.  Doesn't mean you don't know what you are doing, it's the acuity of the patient.

I would actually be more worried if you didn't have some anxiety.

agree with this and all of the other above. I have been working in EM for almost 32 years, the last 10 years solo coverage/full acuity. If I was told I had to cover the icu next week I would feel anxious about it.

3 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

The day that you don't have any anxiety anymore will be the day you start hurting people.

yup. and don't be too hard on yourself. everyone makes mistakes. just learn from them. remember an expert is someone who has made all the possible errors in a given field and knows how to avoid them.

Archived