Low GPA but upward trend, but still not enough?

I have been trying to calculate my caspa gpa and having a very hard time even after googling some excel spreadsheets. I have taken all of my chemistry classes and retaken some biology classes all getting A's but it is not enough to overtake my abysmal undergraduate career. Honestly my first two years I almost failed out. Now I teach AP Biology and have a very strong understanding of science but it doesn't seem realistic to retake upwards of 5 classes for barely a change in gpa. Does anybody have any advice? I have low 3.0's (I am going to see if I can calculate tomorrow at work) for both gpa's. I just feel as if I have no chance of being a PA but this is the medical field job I want to do and have been trying very hard to work full time while update my gpa and it seems like I will never get there, plus it isn't financially the easiest thing. There really are no other medical field routes I want to take.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Adomke said:

I suppose my follow up question would be, would it increase my gpa more significantly to get a non-thesis masters in biology? It would be a safety net in my current career and it would then be considered higher level. 

It really depends on what the schools look at.  Undergraduate GPA seems to be a very common focus, because if you're not getting a 3.5 in a graduate program, you're probably getting expelled.  Having said that, graduate work in biology is a plus, and if it works with your current career, that would be a decent idea, depending on cost/debt.  Oh, and bio degree should increase sGPA and BCP averages as well, which as I recall don't care whether a course was graduate or undergrad.

10 hours ago, Adomke said:

I have been trying to calculate my caspa gpa and having a very hard time even after googling some excel spreadsheets. I have taken all of my chemistry classes and retaken some biology classes all getting A's but it is not enough to overtake my abysmal undergraduate career. Honestly my first two years I almost failed out. Now I teach AP Biology and have a very strong understanding of science but it doesn't seem realistic to retake upwards of 5 classes for barely a change in gpa. Does anybody have any advice? I have low 3.0's (I am going to see if I can calculate tomorrow at work) for both gpa's. I just feel as if I have no chance of being a PA but this is the medical field job I want to do and have been trying very hard to work full time while update my gpa and it seems like I will never get there, plus it isn't financially the easiest thing. There really are no other medical field routes I want to take.

My story is rather unique but hope it gives some hope and helps you out.   I too had a poor undergrad (1 1/2 years at VA Tech cGPA 1.73).  I then joined the USAF from 92-96 as a Med Lab Tech.  Graduated with honors and after completing a 4 year contract enrolled at NC State.  I was married, working full time, school full time and helping to raise my daughter.  I graduated with honors (cGPA 3.4).  At that time I decided and long story but did not pursue my dream of becoming a PA at that time.  Now fast forward.  I have been in the Drug research industry since I graduated in 2001.  I started to take some post bac classes to one raise my GPA and show the adcom that I was serious about being a PA.  Took up volunteer work at the ER on Friday nights as well.   The post bac classes I took are A&P 1/2 (A's in both), Gen Psych (A-), Endocrinology (A), Med Term (A) and Pathophysiology (A).  

This is my 2nd year applying.  My first year my CASPA cGPA was a 2.89 and sGPA was 2.98.  As you can imagine I got all rejections.

This year my CASPA cGPA was a 2.92 and sGPA was a 3.0.  I got only 1 invite and that school did accept me.

My story is I never stopped taking classes to show the adcom and raise my GPA (I know it only goes up very little even with A's). 

The school I applied to would look at my last 60 credits (that was a cGPA of 3.2).  I believe my determination, upward trend GPA, Personal Statement that explained my younger years and how I learned from that error and improved and Military service.  All helped in getting me that interview.  If I can make it so can you...don't give up if becoming a PA is your dream.  There are people who yes got in their 1st try and many others who did not get in till their 3rd, 4th and 5th try.   Feel free to ask me anything else and good luck 🙂

Thanks! I just calculated my current gpa and my cGPA and sGPA for all of undergrad is 2.64 and 2.71 respectively while my last 60, well actually last 70 credit hour cGPA is 3.6 and sGPA is 3.49. My overall question would be do "last 60 credit hour" schools really only look at the last 60 or is it a waste of time to apply because of my total undergrad gpa being so low my application would just be thrown out? 

12 minutes ago, Adomke said:

Thanks! I just calculated my current gpa and my cGPA and sGPA for all of undergrad is 2.64 and 2.71 respectively while my last 60, well actually last 70 credit hour cGPA is 3.6 and sGPA is 3.49. My overall question would be do "last 60 credit hour" schools really only look at the last 60 or is it a waste of time to apply because of my total undergrad gpa being so low my application would just be thrown out? 

They truly do look at your last 60 credits if they state that in their application process.  I applied to Campbell University and they say either need a cGPA of 3.2 and if you do not have that they will look at your last 60 credits but those need to be a 3.2 as well.  In my case they did do that as I received a interview and acceptance this year.  Again, they will only look at the last 60 credits not any further back

I had the dumpster fire first undergrad go also. Also fixed myself in the military, then brought the cGPA up from under 2.7 to above 3.1 finishing undergrad in a biology program while working full time to support my wife and young children. I was accepted to a both a civilian program, and the military's. In school now, and I would not trade having had to work my a** off, and sacrifice for my current position. Don't quit, keep pluggin', and all that. If your wallet can possibly take it, it never hurts to apply, especially if you feel you can adequately convey to admissions boards that you have overcome some real adversity while pulling all this off. That shows commitment and stamina, which comes with the maturity needed to complete these programs. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Adomke said:

Schools that emphasize your last 60 credit cumulative GPA will often still have overall science GPA minimum. I have not heard of programs looking at a “last 60 credit sGPA” if they’re considering your sGPA, but I certainly could be wrong.

In your case, most programs I am aware of that emphasize recent coursework would look at your last 60 credit cGPA of 3.6, but they would also be looking at your overall sGPA of 2.71. To meet minimums for most programs work on getting your sGPA to at least a 3.0. 

Archived