Ophthalmoscope / otoscope set - which one?

45 minutes ago, BaxLN said:

I wouldn't buy before starting school, our program required us to bulk buy everything together, there was no picking and choosing if you already had some of the equipment. 

Thanks! Our program sent us a link to go ahead and purchase so I don’t think bulk buying will be the case, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, SHU-CH said:

Back in the day, I got the Welch Allyn set with the metal handle. Buy once, cry once. It will last forever. You can literally drive nails with the handle (in sheetrock, anyway). 

Someday if you have kids you will use the otoscope a few times a year.

Thanks! I found a nice, gently used Welch Allyn on eBay (half price of new) and went with that! 

11 hours ago, jmj11 said:

I know you have made your choice. I will chime in that any PA in a role where the fundoscopic exam is important to their work, as it is with mine, then I would strongly recommend the WA PanOptic.

You can read license plates from orbit with these things.  I saw things with this contraption that I never saw with a standard ophthalmoscope years ago when I got my old gov't clinic to buy me one.  Somehow it failed to leave in my backpack (no, it wasn't my personal equipment) when I left the position.

4 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

You can read license plates from orbit with these things.  I saw things with this contraption that I never saw with a standard ophthalmoscope years ago when I got my old gov't clinic to buy me one.  Somehow it failed to leave in my backpack (no, it wasn't my personal equipment) when I left the position.

I agree. I do undilated exams and  it has been a godsend. I've used the I phone app, but never had good photos. Maybe that's my fault.

Thank you all for the input! I got a good deal on eBay for the Welch Allyn with the metal plug-in handle and standard opthalmoscope and otoscope (student was selling it, around $220 shipped!). Good to know on the PanOptic- I can always buy the head at a later time if I end up needing it!

• 1 month later...

Archived