GPA

I'm still deciding whether or not PA is for me. I am failing in all my science courses, in 

CHM 130 I got a C, BIO156 I got a C, BIO 201 I got a C, BIO 202 I got a C, BIO 205 I got a C. My over all science GPA is 2.13, and cumulative GPA is a 2.66 with 51 credits taken already. What are the chances of me going to PA school??

First, you would need to retake any of the courses you have listed here that are prerequisites. 

You would also need to continue taking classes to get your sGPA and cGPA to at least a 3.0, which is the minimum to apply to the majority of PA programs.

The minimum is not competitive, so you would also need to get thousands of hours of high quality patient care experience to round out your application. 

It sounds like you haven’t taken very many credits, so you certainly have the opportunity to turn things around. You need to have the mindset that anything less than an A in your classes isn’t an option. Do the work. If you’re struggling, get help. If you need to cut back on your course load and reevaluate your study techniques, do so. Your current GPAs will not get you into any programs and you will need to work hard to become a competitive applicant. 

It will be difficult, but if you truly want to be a PA, you’ll make the grades needed. At minimum most schools require 3.0 sGPA and cGPA and that isn’t competitive.

Try to pinpoint why you are getting Cs in your science classes. Are you not getting the materials? Anxious during the exams? Actually not interested in those subjects? This will be a great time to figure out your best method of studying.

If PA school is your goal, you know what you have to do. But if you think it isn’t the best fit for you, there are a lot of other healthcare fields to get into. You still have time! Good luck!

Let's set the grade stuff aside for a minute - as above your current grades don't cut it.

Being a PA requires a great deal of understanding of basic science.  You're struggling with basic chem and bio.  How will you manage biochemistry, anatomy and physiology?  How will you handle the intense clinical medicine courses of PA school?  To me, these are more important questions.  Practicing medicine is SCIENCE.  

I will run with MT2PA's comments. You don't seem too committed to the sciences, which is extremely important to a PA education. I had a similar issue with grades when I was younger. I had to spend several years doing other things to realize that I WANTED to be in school, and learning science. After I "grew up", I put out the dumpster fire I started on my first attempt at a Bachelor's, and started over. You may need a break to figure out what you want to do. Otherwise, if you are paying for school, but not learning, and earning all C's, you're probably wasting a lot of money.

All that said, when I was ready to go back to school, I brought my GPA up from a 2.75 to a 3.15 while taking nearly all science and math courses for 3 years. I then applied to PA school, and got in, knowing that I both wanted to do it, and could now handle it. Your chances are not good as it stands. I hope you figure out what you really want to do. If you give yourself enough time, and the right conditions, you'll figure it out.

Gonna keep rolling with the last two comments. It sounds like you don't love science, so why are you putting yourself through this? I didn't love basic bio and chem either, but I knew I loved *medicine*. You sound ambivalent to the whole field. If you really don't like medicine, there are so many other potential careers and opportunities for you to explore! Don't feel bound to medicine if it's not a good fit for you. If that's not the case and you really just struggle with basic sciences, I'd suggest going the EMT/medic route - you can make pretty good money as a paramedic and those courses are all about practical application. Then, if you want to reattempt these prereqs in a few years, you might be more focused and more successful.

As a PA student who majored in Biology, your classes in PA school will make you wish you were still in undergrad. Science classes in PA school are much more detailed and in depth than undergrad.  

You need to figure out why it is youre not excelling in the sciences especially if it is something you can change such as discipline, study habits, etc..  

A few C's here and there are okay, but ALL C's will be unacceptable to an ADCOM.

As a PA student who majored in Biology, your classes in PA school will make you wish you were still in undergrad. Science classes in PA school are much more detailed and in depth than undergrad.  
You need to figure out why it is youre not excelling in the sciences especially if it is something you can change such as discipline, study habits, etc..  
A few C's here and there are okay, but ALL C's will be unacceptable to an ADCOM.

While I agree with all of this. I find that undergrad was more difficult to me than PA school. All the info in PA school makes more sense and flows better. I spend less time studying in PA school than I did my senior year and I’m doing significantly better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Bf555 said:

While I agree with all of this. I find that undergrad was more difficult to me than PA school. All the info in PA school makes more sense and flows better. I spend less time studying in PA school than I did my senior year and I’m doing significantly better

You would generally be considered an exception to the rule, however.  

You would generally be considered an exception to the rule, however.  

Fair enough. I’m not disagreeing. And I may be the exception, but it’s important to note that just because you struggle in undergrad, doesn’t mean that it won’t all come together in pa school

2 hours ago, Bf555 said:

Fair enough. I’m not disagreeing. And I may be the exception, but it’s important to note that just because you struggle in undergrad, doesn’t mean that it won’t all come together in pa school

It doesn't.  But statistically it is more likely that a student that can't handle introductory biology will struggle with more advanced science courses and thus PA school.

It's good to give posters different perspectives/experiences and I'm not negating yours.  I just would hate to give them false hope.  (But with a C average in basic science, OP would have a hard time convincing a PA program they can handle the course work to be accepted anyway at this point).

Archived