Guys I just need a good pep talk

Hey guys,

reapplying in 2019. At that time, I was pretty blind on applying to PA schools, I only applied to 3, with a cumulative gpa of 3.2 and science gpa of 3.1. 3 years a Scribe, gre of 306/5. I got no interviews, so I planned to vamp up my application, take two years off, and apply in 2019. Currently, I’ve finished emt school and now work as an emt full time while working part time as a Scribe still. I work 60-70 hours a week and have barely Any free time. Am also involved in an orchestra and I don’t plan on quitting because I love it so much. Will retake two courses and shadow a cardiologist (am planning on using some scribe hours for shadowing also). 

This whole working every day is making e exhausted, but all I can focus on is applying to PA school and eventually quitting one job so I can have some free time. Do you guys think I’d get in next year to a school? I’ve also done a lot more research, Am applying to 12 schools and they all are aimed towards low gpa

Hey guys,

reapplying in 2019. At that time, I was pretty blind on applying to PA schools, I only applied to 3, with a cumulative gpa of 3.2 and science gpa of 3.1. 3 years a Scribe, gre of 306/5. I got no interviews, so I planned to vamp up my application, take two years off, and apply in 2019. Currently, I’ve finished emt school and now work as an emt full time while working part time as a Scribe still. I work 60-70 hours a week and have barely Any free time. Am also involved in an orchestra and I don’t plan on quitting because I love it so much. Will retake two courses and shadow a cardiologist (am planning on using some scribe hours for shadowing also). 
This whole working every day is making e exhausted, but all I can focus on is applying to PA school and eventually quitting one job so I can have some free time. Do you guys think I’d get in next year to a school? I’ve also done a lot more research, Am applying to 12 schools and they all are aimed towards low gpa

A reasonable plan that shows some great hustle! Keep your head down for the year and also spend some time working on your essay and making sure you have the right references.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're doing all the right things! I feel your pain, my last year at school, I would have a full class load and then commute 2hr one way back home to work 3 12hr shifts in a row to bump up my PCE hours. My advise would just be to apply smart, which it sounds like you're doing. Definitely look at schools were you think your application can shine! Best of luck!

12 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

Hey guys,

You are absolutely doing the right things and have a great change of landing a bunch of interviews!  Your commitment is impressive! Experience as an EMT is very valuable, so is experience as a scribe. 

Applying to more schools increases your chance and I am sure you have realized at this point, there are many awesome programs out there. Make sure you research each program and ensure that you and your goals match the program's mission statement. I applied to 10 programs that were the best fit for me in terms of curriculum and mission (among other things) and landed 7 interviews this year, and waiting to hear from another. I think it is important to be realistic and if you are already a match, it is going to be easy to convince them. Research the program, do some volunteering if they are a community based program, get some research experience if they are research based program (ex. Yale). 

Remember one thing, if you want to be a PA, you will be a PA. If not this year, next year. If not through one program, then through other. It is a great profession, and it is definitely worth the hard-work and patience. 

Good luck!!

@Patricia5827 You're doing all the right stuff! Could you quit scribing? You already have three years of experience and it sounds like you need some time for yourself. Also in order to retake two courses and do well, you will need to free up some time. I did not have any straight shadowing hours or an amazing GPA and got five acceptances this cycle. I think you have a great chance of getting in!

@Patricia5827 You're doing the right things. Some advice for next application is to find some time to research different programs that offer some particulars that resonate with you and that you feel comfortable talking about why they resonate with you. For example, in my own research, I was looking specifically at programs with a strong emphasis on community service and, in turn, I emphasized my service to my community on my application. This is for the purpose of showing that you have good fit with the programs you're applying to. Find more programs that you have good fit with and make sure your application reflects that.

As @panglossian already mentioned, if you can give up your job as a medical scribe, you probably should. After three years, you should be able to convey the things you have learned from that position and maybe even tie it into your reason for wanting to pursue PA school. It probably will not yield much new experience that adds to your application. Your experience as an EMT, however,  will yield much more and will allow you to speak volumes of your experience with patients (directly) and will show adcoms your persistence for wanting to be involved in medicine.

Here is the clinker, your love of music and playing in orchestra can (and should) be used to benefit your application. It is an exhibition of your passion coming to life. It demonstrates your ability to work cohesively in a team. It is an example of a set of skills that one must continually improve upon. It shows great work ethic, personal fortitude, and will be something unique about you. Also, there is evidence suggesting that musicianship is positively correlated with intelligence.

Your hard work will eventually pay off. Keep pushing forward and I am positive that you will be in PA school soon!

3 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

I would love to quit my scribe job and have some free time, but if I do 1) I would be making technically less than I would’ve been making with just a Scribe job and 2) I’m asking the PAs and doctors there for letters 

You don't necessarily need to be working as a scribe to get letters of recommendation from the providers you have been working with. But if it is for financial reasons, you might not want to give up the scribe job unless you can A) supplement your income another way or B) find and implement ways to reduce your expenses.

Regardless, I wish you the best during the next application cycle!

Archived