Where do you guys think I stand?

Hey Guys my name is Shane, i'm 25 and I live in Central Virginia. I have been a Paramedic for five years, and in EMS for eight total, and actively participate in new and continuing education lecturing in certification classes, as well as EMS Conferences. I graduated with an Associates in EMS in 2014 and am beginning my second quarter of classes to complete my Bachelors in Biology. My grades are decent, I graduated with a 3.8 with my Associates, and my first quarter grades had a B in Biology, and a C in a math and this quarter is shaping up at that or higher. It has been sort of an uphill climb since my gap year turned into 4, but I am finally getting adjusted to everything. 

My healthcare experience hours add up to something around 15 thousand, which will grow significantly higher by my graduation date. What I am worried about is number one being labeled "non traditional" because there was a 4 year gap in my education and any ill effect that might have on applications, and number two my grades. I exceeded very well in my classes for my first degree, but that was before a full time job and family were in the picture. I can definitely keep the grades above the 3.0 minimum that schools require, but what should I shoot towards to remain competitive? My job also has allowed me to become very close with PA's and Physicians at the hospitals that I transport my patients to, and I am working on scheduling shadowing time. I have also reached out to several other practices about shadowing so I don't get all of my shadowing time in Emergency Medicine. 

The last question I have is about letters of recommendation in the CASPA, more specifically the one that most schools like to have from a professor. The majority of my Bachelors program is online minus some lab courses, what would you all recommend as far as getting that Letter of Recommendation? Would it be appropriate to go back to my EMS professor from my Associates Degree to seek that letter since he taught ninety or so percent of our program? 

Any input or feedback anyone has I would greatly Appreciate!

Guest thatgirlonabike

Fellow medic here. Also much older. This is my first cycle applying.  Applied to 6 schools with 2 interview invites, one denial and 3 more I haven't heard from.  Being "non-traditional" for PA school is a bonus not a hindrance.  It's a degree that favors previous experience.  Paramedicine is the perfect bridge to PA in my opinion.

I also got a LOR from my EMS instructor who was more than happy to do so even 6 years later!  LOL.  

I applied this year and I graduated four years back. I have about 1/3 of the PCE hours that you have and luckily I have been accepted into a PA program. I feel like you are set, just keep making the good grades and I wouldn't worry too much about the C in math. So long as you are doing well in your science prerequisites classes.

GPA, try to aim for 3.4-3.5 for sGPA just because it is getting more competitive. But with your experience, they won't be focusing on the GPA that much. Also, remember to do decently well on GRE when you take it.

I think asking your associate EMS professor for the LOR is a good idea. I applied to some schools that asked for a professor LOR, but I only have LORs from MD, PA, and NP. Schools didn't message me asking for a professor LOR. So long as the LORs you do get are strong letters and not generic.  

This is my first year applying but that is what I have gathered during this application season. Good luck!

I received my degree over 8 years ago and have been working since then, and I have received multiple acceptances, so don’t worry about time out of school, as long as the programs you’re applying for don’t have a limit on the date of coursework, or as long as your courses fall within the limit. Good luck!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, EMEDPA said:

Paramedics are traditional PA school applicants. the nontraditional applicants are the 22 year olds with 250 hrs of "experience" as scribes and candy strippers with BS degrees and high GPAs who still live with their parents. .

Eh, I see your point...and don't disagree....but being in a profession that values diversity, we could try and embody that in our posts ?  just sayin'

Archived