2018-2019 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 2:43 AM, Jordan25 said:

Does anybody know if York college is still inviting applicants for interviews or am I done waiting?

thank you!!

From what I know, I was part of the first group to be interviewed. I was invited around the first week of January, but I was out of state, so I was rescheduled Feb 4. So they probably are still sending out invites. 

17 minutes ago, ksy413 said:

I interviewed in December and was accepted in early January.

Congrats on your acceptance!!

15 minutes ago, Abarbour15 said:

Did you find out through email? Still waiting to hear back from Feb 4th interview. 

I received a call mid December to schedule an interview in December but I was away and I couldn't schedule until Jan 30. I'm still waiting to hear back as well. Sigh, the wait is the worst part! Good luck to you 🙂

35 minutes ago, Janab said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!

I received a call mid December to schedule an interview in December but I was away and I couldn't schedule until Jan 30. I'm still waiting to hear back as well. Sigh, the wait is the worst part! Good luck to you 🙂

Same thing happened with me! I received the Interview first week of January, but had to reschedule due to being out of state. Hopefully we hear back soon. Good luck to you too!!!

Guest Janab
On 2/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, GCass said:

I didn’t realize they were accepting students already. I interviewed on december 19th and still haven’t heard back. Im extremely nervous because this is my #1 choice and am really hoping for an acceptance. I was told I may have to wait until May 31st and the wait is killing me. 

May 31?!?! Let's hope not!! I asked during my interview when I could expect to hear back and they said within a few weeks but still nothing. This is also my first choice and I was hoping to hear back from them before doing any more interviews but alas, we're still playing the waiting game. Hopefully we hear back soon and best of luck to you!

5 hours ago, bb704 said:

Whoever had their interview, can you tell me what your interview was like or how the day went? Was there any written essay that you needed to do or was it just general one-on-one questioning? 

From what I was told, this is the first year there is no essay portion. My interview was with two professors and lasted no more than 30 minutes. They were very friendly and the questions were very fair. They asked about grades, experience, and why you want to be a PA. It was my first interview and they really helped make me less nervous. I loved the program and hope I get accepted. However like I said, the wait is long and stressful as they said I may not hear back until May 31st.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just had my interview a few weeks ago but unfortunately got my rejection letter today. I was thrown off from the first question and it ruined my flow for the rest of the interview. I just wanted to help out other people in case they get blindsighted during the interview and because this was my first interview and I didn’t know what to expect. Everyone I’ve spoken to who has gotten interviewed told me it’s pretty simple and laid back, I even got to speak to current students right before my interview and everything matched up with what was said in this thread such as the questions they would tend to ask and I did mock interviews and read books but I guess I didn’t prepare enough.

But I was thrown off because there were so many technical and situational questions in my interview. Things I thought would be more appropriate for maybe for a PA job interview or be taught during PA school but I guess they really want you to know everything beforehand in as much detail. I knew my answers became weak at these technical questions because I was underprepared for them. 

I got asked first

The role of PAs in clinical setting and surgical setting and how this is different and how much say the physician has in both of these roles

regular questions of Why PA, why not NP/med school, GPA, academic experiences, PCE hours 

If a patient didn’t like the doctor what would you do (which also came with like 500 situational what if questions to every single answer I provided) 

If I can be emotionally supported by my family and friends and if they understand the struggle of PA school 

If the physician is on vacation what can the PA do or can they even practice if the physician is on vacation (another one that came with follow up situationals) 

what is a PA students typical day (which this is different in each school and the best I could answer)

what do you do for fun? 

Do you consult the doctor when giving a prescription, if you give a prescription and the patient has a bad reaction what do you do, should you have asked the doctor beforehand  do you have to talk about your treatment plans all the time with the doctor  

thats all I can remember. I hope I’m able to at least someone who has an interview coming up. Can others who interviewed let me know if they had similar questions?

Edited by Sallyhabsen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sallyhabsen said:

Hey! Just had my interview a few weeks ago but unfortunately got my rejection letter today. I was thrown off from the first question and it ruined my flow for the rest of the interview. I just wanted to help out other people in case they get blindsighted during the interview and because this was my first interview and I didn’t know what to expect. Everyone I’ve spoken to who has gotten interviewed told me it’s pretty simple and laid back, I even got to speak to current students right before my interview and everything matched up with what was said in this thread such as the questions they would tend to ask and I did mock interviews and read books but I guess I didn’t prepare enough.

But I was thrown off because there were so many technical and situational questions in my interview. Things I thought would be more appropriate for maybe for a PA job interview or be taught during PA school but I guess they really want you to know everything beforehand in as much detail. I knew my answers became weak at these technical questions because I was underprepared for them. 

Firstly, they didn’t ask to introduce myself which I had prepared for so I couldn’t really give much background about myself. I also felt as though I couldn’t give my full responses that I prepared because of the way they asked the questions where they were looking for something specific. The people interviewing me were also fairly new, working for the past 2 years at York. 

I got asked first

The role of PAs in clinical setting and surgical setting and how this is different and how much say the physician has in both of these roles, it was more detailed and specific than what I said but that’s the basic idea of the question

regular questions of Why PA, why not NP/med school, GPA, academic experiences, PCE hours 

why did I only apply to PA schools in NYC, why didn’t I apply anywhere else because I can be a PA at any state so why would I only apply to 7 schools in NYC (the manner the interviewer asked this sounded very condescending also, and he wrote down every school I mentioned, be prepared to have a good explanation for each school) 

If a patient didn’t like the doctor what would you do (which also came with like 500 situational what if questions to every single answer I provided) kept asking if patient only wanted to see me and only me what would I do no matter what option I suggested 

If I can be emotionally supported by my family and friends and if they understand the struggle of PA school (basically that you’ll have no life during it and that I can’t work during it) 

If the physician is on vacation what can the PA do or can they even practice if the physician is on vacation (another one that came with 500 follow up situationals) 

what is a PA students typical day (which this is different in each school and the best I could answer is that it’s a strict schedule of classes for the didactic year based on their website information about the class times being mostly from 8-5 , but they seemed to want specific of what a PA a student does all day from morning to night) 

what do you do for fun? 

Do you consult the doctor when giving a prescription, if you give a prescription and the patient has a bad reaction what do you do, should you have asked the doctor beforehand  do you have to talk about your treatment plans all the time with the doctor  

thats all I can remember. I hope I’m able to at least someone who has an interview coming up. Can others who interviewed let me know if they had similar questions? Because I spoke to the current students and they said nothing out of the blue just straightforward questions that I listed under regular questions. I probably was just underprepared and wasn’t expecting the questions I mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️

Wow, thank you so much for sharing! That does seem really intense... I have an interview with them coming up and this was super helpful. I wish you all the best on your journey to becoming a PA!

“The Admissions Committee is still in the review process. Your application status will be emailed during the first week of April. We thank you for your patience and for choosing The CUNY School of Medicine”

has as anyone gotten this email? Does this mean that I probably didn’t get an interview invite? Seems like people who might get an invite are getting different kind of emails...

21 minutes ago, krsnkm said:

“The Admissions Committee is still in the review process. Your application status will be emailed during the first week of April. We thank you for your patience and for choosing The CUNY School of Medicine”

has as anyone gotten this email? Does this mean that I probably didn’t get an interview invite? Seems like people who might get an invite are getting different kind of emails...

Thats not for York; it’s for CCNY! I got that email too. I’m pretty sure they finalized the class already. I don’t think they’ll be anymore interviews.