Concierge Medicine

Love your enthusiasm.  You have a couple of misconceptions, however:

'm interested in working with a unique subset of patients that are focused on longevity. My dream is to join a practice focused on "human optimization" where clients are "all in" to nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress with guidance from the practice using personalized recommendations for optimal lipids, hormones, and bio-markers.

I think this is the future of medicine

- hold on tiger.  Your first line says "unique subset" and then you say "future of medicine", ie applicable to everybody.  I think you are meaning a practice where the people are invested in their own health.  That's rare.  Unfortunately, the future of medicine has nothing to do with self responsibility.  That's why office visits are ten minutes, and the insurance company is not going to pay for your calcium coronary score.  It's a difference between a homestyle restaurant where the food takes longer to get to you, but it's delicious vs a chain, mass produced cheeseburger, getting the same no matter where you go and tastes like shit.  That's the future of medicine.

and I want to be a part of it. Am I crazy for wanting to do this as a PA?

-not at all.  

I'll be 32 graduating PA school with almost no debt (more freedom to pursue the job I want). Can this only be done if I start my own practice?

- age is no problem.  The subset you are going to be selling to are busy, goal directed individuals.  You won't be working from a traditional corporate practice, so it will take some footwork, pa or MD.

ShouldI "course correct" and become a D.O. (my stats aren't M.D. level)?

-heh.  "I'm not good enough to be an MD so I'll go second best".  Your unique subset does not want to hear that.

I would be 37-38 with 100-150k of debt to get that D.O. and it may take some additional savings before I felt comfortable starting my own practice.

-so?  If it makes you happy then why would you settle?

hope this helps

ps no snarkiness was intended

On 9/16/2018 at 11:13 AM, jlumsden said:

Will this work be evidence based?

I feel like "evidence based" is thrown around so much that it's lost any universal meaning, but yes, I would want to practice on the forefront of medicine, utilizing the most compelling strategies to extend healthy lifespan in my patients. OGTT over fasting glucose, Lp(a) over total cholesterol, knowing my patients APOE genotype etc. I realize, as thinkertdm mentioned, that the current state of healthcare and insurance reimbursement makes this very difficult, but I know these types of practice exist now, I believe they will become more common as more money gets pumped into biotech, and I think if I work really hard I can be a part of it.

I'm looking for a subset of patients that are always healthy, never bother me on-call, keep their appointments without showing up late, pay their bills on-time without complaining, are pleasant, and don't come to their appointments with extra "by-the-way" problems.  Any jobs like that!?

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, LKPAC said:

I'm looking for a subset of patients that are always healthy, never bother me on-call, keep their appointments without showing up late, pay their bills on-time without complaining, are pleasant, and don't come to their appointments with extra "by-the-way" problems.  Any jobs like that!?

Yes, at "QUIK-E-MED"...signs out front say "ONE PROBLEM ONLY OR PHUQE OFF", "NO CONTROLLED REFILLS" and "TOO LATE?  TOO BAD...AND YOU"LL STILL PAY"

Not sure about clientele, but you never know ?

SK

Archived