Difficult Nurses

I recently started covering a new ED but have been with this staffing company for several months and have had good relations with them.  However, at this new hospital it seems nursing staff runs the place. My first shift there the charge nurse says “ just so you know I’ll question most of your orders and if you do anything crazy I’ll make sure it’s your last shift”. So I kind of just went with it and thought maybe this is an isolated incident. 

After a few more days I get a call on my day off from my staffing company saying “ one of the nurses has complain about you wearing sandals that they feels it unprofessional” For the record I do wear chacos at night because I can slip them on fast when I get out of bed.  This really got me because I’ve never had a complaint against me and consistently have good patient satisfaction scores. 

Just wanted some opinions...am I being unreasonable or should I just cut my loses and move on to a different facility? 

20 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Wearing open-toed shoes is a safety issue at most hospitals.

The nurse may not like you, but try not living like you’re above the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s definitely a fair point and I guess I’ve been a bit passive aggressive and have made it a point to be ultra professional now ... lace up shoes, white coat, the works .

I guess what got me was if you have that big of a problem and your truly worried about safety handle that issue in person and not run off to upper management. 

Obviously I’ll have to get over it or move on but just needed a place to vent!  

That’s definitely a fair point and I guess I’ve been a bit passive aggressive and have made it a point to be ultra professional now ... lace up shoes, white coat, the works .
 I guess what got me was if you have that big of a problem and your truly worried about safety handle that issue in person and not run off to upper management. 
Obviously I’ll have to get over it or move on but just needed a place to vent!  

I understand! You may be dealing with a passive-agressive charge nurse that wants her own respect too. You’re not in her chain of command either, complicating things. Still, you may be able to pull this off and even make an ally in the process.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I understand! You may be dealing with a passive-agressive charge nurse that wants her own respect too. You’re not in her chain of command either, complicating things. Still, you may be able to pull this off and even make an ally in the process.

Good luck!

Thank you sir for the advice! 

Agree with above. This was probably a legitimate complaint due to a safety issue on your end. I have though, dealt with difficult nurses when I first started out as a PA, mainly the older experienced ones trying to intimidate me in all sorts of ways. After speaking with some of the other PAs and docs, they said that this is how those nurses treat everyone and not to think much of it. 

Without going into too much detail, there was actually an incident where I had to explain something to the nurse administrator. As I was in the middle of the meeting, the chief of my unit pulled me out and said out loud "she has no authority over you, if you need to explain yourself I will let you know." And that was the end of it. 

So yea obviously if it is patient related then you should be open to discussion but trivial things such as professionalism and what not, nurses like to think they have authority and will complain about many things. In some cases they may be legitimate but most of the time they like to take things out of proportion. 

23 hours ago, EDtech said:

Unfortunately, this is not how it works with nursing. It's always about going up in the chain of command. 

23 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Wearing open-toed shoes is a safety issue at most hospitals.

The nurse may not like you, but try not living like you’re above the rules.

^This. OP, you don't know what's going to come into that ED: necrotizing fasciitis, MRSA, projectile vomiting, scabies, IVDU needle, etc. The last thing you want is some easy avenue to get yourself infected or covered with nasty bodily fluids. Keep em covered, bro. 

Archived