Asking for a raise, response time

What is typical as far as response time when asking for a raise? I have been here a year, sent first email 11 days ago, didn't hear anything, emailed again 4 days ago, they said they would be reviewing it that day, and now nothing. So what Is a normal amount of time to wait? I don't like to be a pest but I also want to make sure I get what I am due. Thanks! Ps. My contract does not state I will definitely get a raise but that it is likely with good production/behavior etc

My experience is the bigger the organization the slower the response. My raise was supposed to be automatic after my anniversary and I had to chase it for 5 months before it finally happened.

Small clinic or practice? Should be settled and done in a few weeks to a month.

Edited for additional Information...after I asked and asked and asked and was told "they are working on it" I asked who the next three steps in the food chain were so I could start calling them myself (assuming the first 2 people were going to tell me there was nothing they could do). My raise was in my next check.

Your mileage may vary...

Guest UVAPAC

At our hospital every year we have our "annual review."  

Typically several weeks before this I will mention to the medical director I am hoping to get a raise, and joke with him about what I am worth to the organization.  I have also taken out the salary report from AAPA and said "Hey look, the 50%ile for our specialty pays X, 75%ile pays X."  

When raise time comes I have always been taken care of.  I used to nag my first few years because I felt I was grossly underpaid.  Now I am making a range that I feel is more appropriate, and will back off some during upcoming review.  (Obviously can't expect to get 10-15% raises every year, though it would be nice).  

I have never really heard of anyone at our hospital getting a raise other than annual yearly review's.  

Depends on the organization/practice.  Some places are very quick, others can take a while.  Make sure you keep reminding them in a pleasant way.

Also, make sure to argue for your raise being retroactive to your one year anniversary, especially if it takes months to process.

raises

yeah, never had much luck

seems you get hired into a slot and that is all they want to pay

I have tried in the past and this is what I have learned

in a small practice if they do not get back you in a few weeks it is likely a dead issue - they don't/won't give you a raise

in a large practice, might take till the next owners meeting

in a hospital system it can take years if they need to re evaluate their pay scales, but smaller annual raises should be there

Asking for a raise by email will get you nowhere.

Face to face, know the players, know the landscape, have your numbers in mind, high and low and what you will settle for.

A suggestion concerning preparation:

Never split the difference: Negotiating as if your life depended on it

Even if you aren't negotiating a salary, this is a good read on just interacting with people, particularly patients, whom I seem to be negotiating with in some form or other in nearly every encounter.

Good luck

George

Archived