Available Jobs in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska

Hi there everyone!  My name is Bennett, and I am a recent graduate as of May of 2018!  I took my PANCE in late May, and have been a certified PA as of May 31st!  I am very excited and ambitious to start my career!  I am from the Southeastern Wisconsin area and went to PA school in this area, although am currently living in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  My fiance and I are getting married in late September in Wisconsin, and have decided that we want to move to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska after the wedding!  We both love the outdoors, and want to see and experience a different area of the country!  We don't have one specific area nailed down, and I have been searching for jobs in the Portland suburbs, Seattle suburbs, and in the Anchorage area.  I have applied for a few jobs in these areas, but am running into some trouble achieving interviews as I am a new graduate and do not have any working experience as a PA.  I have enjoyed all areas of medicine throughout my clinical year, but have been searching primarily for Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Urgent Care, and Family Practice positions.  I just wanted to through out a message to see if anyone knows of any positions available in these locations and in these areas medicine that are available to new graduates!  Thanks for your time everyone, and I look forward to hearing back!

On 7/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, brs2018 said:

Hi there everyone!  My name is Bennett, and I am a recent graduate as of May of 2018!  I took my PANCE in late May, and have been a certified PA as of May 31st!  I am very excited and ambitious to start my career!  I am from the Southeastern Wisconsin area and went to PA school in this area, although am currently living in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  My fiance and I are getting married in late September in Wisconsin, and have decided that we want to move to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska after the wedding!  We both love the outdoors, and want to see and experience a different area of the country!  We don't have one specific area nailed down, and I have been searching for jobs in the Portland suburbs, Seattle suburbs, and in the Anchorage area.  I have applied for a few jobs in these areas, but am running into some trouble achieving interviews as I am a new graduate and do not have any working experience as a PA.  I have enjoyed all areas of medicine throughout my clinical year, but have been searching primarily for Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Urgent Care, and Family Practice positions.  I just wanted to through out a message to see if anyone knows of any positions available in these locations and in these areas medicine that are available to new graduates!  Thanks for your time everyone, and I look forward to hearing back!

Eastern Aleutian Tribes – 

Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association: Home

1131 East International Airport Rd. Anchorage Alaska 99518 Phone: (907) 276-2700 Toll Free: (800) 478-2742

Job Openings - Southcentral Foundation

I live in Anacortes, which is the first island of Washington's San Juan Island chain. A great place to live. We have had several PA jobs, some closed as no applicants came forward. The hospital has one posted now (below). If you have a strong interest in interventional medicine, I know of a possible second one.   https://pm.healthcaresource.com/cs/islandhospital#/job/604

22 hours ago, Miaow said:

I was just looking at a job in Alaska dreaming that I could take it! 

Screenshot_20180716-093917_Chrome.jpg

Be very careful, the allure of loan repayment. You have to be working in the position to even apply for the program, processing your application takes months, hopefully you meet the cutoff date or you wait another year, your payback service begins AFTER you have been accepted into the program. Not all sites are equal priority for the limited funding available. Also, ask about the cost of rent, heating & electricity, the quality of housing( flush toilets), food costs (at one ste $6.00 gallon milk when available, $26.00 roasting chicken) is there even a store, vehicles available and fuel cost($6.00-8.00 gal), cost of travel out o the village? The money may sound good but you will pay for it!! Ask about other providers and the skill set of these people, are you "on call 24/7" in the village, hats your physician backup and referral options?  Find out about x-ray, lab, pharmacy support.Make sure you speak with those who have worked there in the past!!!  Caveat emptor!!!!

22 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

Be very careful, the allure of loan repayment. You have to be working in the position to even apply for the program, processing your application takes months, hopefully you meet the cutoff date or you wait another year, your payback service begins AFTER you have been accepted into the program. Not all sites are equal priority for the limited funding available. Also, ask about the cost of rent, heating & electricity, the quality of housing( flush toilets), food costs (at one ste $6.00 gallon milk when available, $26.00 roasting chicken) is there even a store, vehicles available and fuel cost($6.00-8.00 gal), cost of travel out o the village? The money may sound good but you will pay for it!! Ask about other providers and the skill set of these people, are you "on call 24/7" in the village, hats your physician backup and referral options?  Find out about x-ray, lab, pharmacy support.Make sure you speak with those who have worked there in the past!!!  Caveat emptor!!!!

Good advice. Another option to test the waters in AK is by doing short term locums assignments. Some are as short as 2 weeks. A buddy of mine does 2 weeks twice/year in a little village with a 2 bed ER and clinic with an apt upstairs for him to use. They stock the fridge, pay his travel expenses, and give him $7k for the 2 weeks. he flies into anchorage and then on to Nome then 2 hrs on a dog sled to get there.

something like this: $9200/2 weeks

http://jobs.wildernessmedicalstaffing.com/jobdetails/southwest-ak-outpatient-clinic-er-np-pa/southwest-alaska/37

38 minutes ago, ventana said:

I just worked a 7 hr day and now on call till 8am tomorrow. 

For this I make $900 as an employee.  

$655 per day sounds to low. 

did you see this:

"Clinic is only about 10 patients per week".

Also part of the reason one does something like this is for the opportunity to travel and have someone else foot the bill. I am looking into getting my AK license and doing a few of these short assignments, not because I need the money, but because I think it would be a cool experience. If it was all about the money I can get 100/hr locally doing high volume fast track at a local community hospital. I have no desire to ever work in that kind of setting again. High risk with low satisfaction. no thanks.

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

did you see this:

Also part of the reason one does something like this is for the opportunity to travel and have someone else foot the bill. I am looking into getting my AK license and doing a few of these short assignments, not because I need the money, but because I think it would be a cool experience. If it was all about the money I can get 100/hr locally doing high volume fast track at a local community hospital. I have no desire to ever work in that kind of setting again. High risk with low satisfaction. no thanks.

I recall going 5 shifts in a row without seeing anyone except the janitor, some nights maybe 1 or 2 patients in a 800 person oilfield development camp. I can recall hurricane like winds one winter night and having a head injury patient needing to be MEDEVACed requiring a 3 hour  52 foot fishing boat trip to the closest open airfield. The workload is minimal compared to the type of clinics most PAs work in, but being hundreds of miles from a hospital with minimal diagnostic or therapeutic capability calls for a particular type of clinician. Having to avoid 900 pound grizzly bears in the clinic parking lot, volcanos preventing flights into or out of the village, being a sole practitioner during a medical crisis are just a few of the challenges of remote practice. It's not just working it's an adventure and experience unlike what 99% of PA will  experience.

20 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

did you see this:

Also you are paid the $655 for every day you are in the village, with scheduled clinic only M-F, so same pay for weekends only being on call.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, ArmyPA said:

Also you are paid the $655 for every day you are in the village, with scheduled clinic only M-F, so same pay for weekends only being on call.

same company. 4 month contract. 74k: http://jobs.wildernessmedicalstaffing.com/jobdetails/southwest-alaska-outpatient-clinic-emergency-on-call-np-pa/southwest-alaska/40

Archived