Things people say to PAs/PA students.....

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the sometimes bizarre questions or comments that we receive from the general public. I'd like to compile a running list of the things you have heard in the past and if you have a good way to respond feel free to share that too! 

For example: "So are you like a medical assistant?", "PA... is that accounting?", "When will you be applying to med school?", etc. 

Share all the funny/sad/annoying questions you've been asked and any other experiences or pet peeves you might have about how we are perceived

Still a student but when I saw a chest pain on my ER rotation and introduced myself I got “oh I must not be a very urgent patient” then continued to ask to be seen by a doctor only. She then proceeded to roll her eyes as my PA preceptor came in after I presented to him.

so this may be because i am student but her initial reaction to my preceptor makes me think otherwise 

Haha, great topic! A few in particular come to mind...

I'm a 25 year old female. Walked into the exam room with my preceptor on an ER rotation and the male patient looked right at me and said, "sweetheart, could you grab me a wet washcloth and a glass of water with no ice?" When he saw the look on my face, he said, "oh honey, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm not asking you because you're a woman, I'm asking you because you're a nurse." *smh* 

My favorite response so far to "I'm a PA student" - "wow, that's so cool, so you're going to be a physician's apprentice?" Lol 

Just yesterday, I was riding the elevator and a patient turned to me and said, "doctor or nurse?" When I told him "neither, I'm a PA student," his response was, "oh, so you're going to be an LPN?" *smh again* 

My default now when people look confused or ask "so what is a PA?"

Me: "You know when you go to a doctor's office, but you don't actually get to see the doctor?"

Them: "Yeah, hahaha"

Me: "That other person you see is me." (Or I just give the slow double thumbs up at myself)

I laugh, they laugh, it's a good time.

The most common thing I hear is about some great experience people have had with PAs in the past. It’s a tad bit irritating when they sound as if they’re surprised that a PA would be competent, caring, attentive, etc. but it’s nice that people seem to have mostly positive impressions. 

6 hours ago, fishbum said:

The most common thing I hear is about some great experience people have had with PAs in the past. It’s a tad bit irritating when they sound as if they’re surprised that a PA would be competent, caring, attentive, etc. but it’s nice that people seem to have mostly positive impressions. 

It is mostly just a psychological phenomenon to try and "connect" with the information/story (especially when it isn't super common). People do it subconsciously, tell them you're a pilot and "oh I knew a pilot when I lived wherever, he/she was pretty cool." Tell them you're a nurse, doctor, or a lawyer and they might just leave it because it is "well understood/common." (Or at least they think they understand it well). My 2 cents anyway.

• 1 month later...

I'm still in undergrad but very vocal about my desire to be a PA. I always pre-empt them and say "they're typically the person you see besides the doctor". Saves any annoying questions.

Turns out that most people don't know what a PA is or realize they've talked to one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:28 PM, Anachronist said:

My default now when people look confused or ask "so what is a PA?"

Me: "You know when you go to a doctor's office, but you don't actually get to see the doctor?"

Them: "Yeah, hahaha"

Me: "That other person you see is me." (Or I just give the slow double thumbs up at myself)

I laugh, they laugh, it's a good time.

I'm so going to use that.

Archived