aochs4

Application verified, now what??

Hello! For those of you that have applied before or are already in PA school, is there anything that I can do after my applications have been sent in to help my chances? My CASPA application was verified on 6/29, and I have received emails from all of the schools I applied to saying my application is under review, followed by when they will start contacting people for interviews, but is there anything I can do in the meantime besides just sit and wait?

Study the profession, prepare for interviews, and research the schools you applied to to find what you love about them say you were to get an interview. There are books you can get to prepare for interviews. Look up current events in the PA world and know about changes and common issues. Continue getting Pt care hours and volunteering so you have experiences to talk about in interviews 

• Like 3

Yes, I second what spartan419 said. I would start preparing for interviews because you never know when that will come by. Know and understand that interviews are a beast! Not trying to scare you, but it really is a different playing field. You want to be make sure you're beyond prepared and comfortable once it comes down to it. G'luck! 

Edited by Doppio_Espresso
  • Like 1

As has been said, starting to prepare for interviews is a good thing to occupy some of your time. Try to arrange some practice interviews in a panel setting and one on one, this will help you simulate interview day and get a feel for formulating answers. The other thing to do is take an objective look at your application from an admissions committee perspective, what areas need improvement, is improving that area a reasonable option. Once you have identified some areas start planning to make those improvements and start doing that. There is nothing worse than waiting to look at that until the final denial email and then you only have 3-6months if that to make a change. If you plan as if you will not get in, then you will be very prepared if that actually happens.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Allison0423
      Hello! I saw a thread hadn't been created for U of M. They're accepting applications starting next year and will have their first class starting in 2020. Anyone else interested in this program or have any insight? I was mostly wondering if anyone has experiences with Flint and the safety aspect. Thanks!
    • By Allison0423
      Hey guys! Just wanted to start a thread for anyone looking at Concordia University that is opening in Ann Arbor. They're taking their first class starting 2019 but don't even have pre-reqs up yet so I was just curious if anyone else was looking at this or had any info on it. Thanks!
    • By Tanders87
      Hi future PA students! UTHSC has just created an instagram targeted towards prospective students (I'll be posting lots of pictures from fun things inside and outside the classroom) and would love it if y'all followed us! Our handle is uthscpaprogram
    • By hmtpnw
      Put the Highlighter Down and Nobody Gets Hurt
      By Hannah Turner
      You’re sitting in class, pulling out your notebook and pencil when you see her. She’s sitting in the front row, right in the center of the classroom. It’s highlighter girl, and she has her game face on today. Her laptop is open and sits to her left, the lecture slides are printed out sitting directly in front of her, pens, pencils and erasers are ready to go on her right, and she has every color highlighter imaginable at her disposal. Class starts and highlighter girl stays true to her name, adding color to nearly every line of text on those printed slides, switching between markers rapidly as she goes. She seems like she really knows what she’s doing. You look down at your notes and can’t help but feel inferior, like you’re missing something. Weeks later, the class gets the first test back. When students are comparing scores you’re surprised to find that highlighter girl didn’t do very well… Maybe you weren’t missing something after all.
      One of the most important things you can learn in undergrad is how to streamline the note taking and studying processes to allow for maximum learning in a minimal amount of time - you have to learn how to be efficient . Everyone seems to have their own method, and many students tend to complicate the process with no real return on investment. Throughout my college career I have had to find ways to increase my studying and note taking efficiency to create more time for myself. Between upper level science coursework, extracurriculars, part-time and often even full-time work, more time is something that I desperately needed to be successful. Below are a few of the things I learned along the way that allowed me to maintain a 3.9 cumulative GPA and a 3.97 science GPA with a busy schedule in a science heavy major.

Put Your Pack of Highlighters Down
      It’s easy to be enticed by underlining and highlighting the text on those lecture slides, but in reality you aren’t accomplishing much. The idea that these methods are useful in a note taking capacity comes from the Von Restorff Effect, which states that differentiating text by using color makes it stand out against other words on the page, aiding in memory recall. The problem here is that the information on a lecture slide has already been summarized and contains only the most salient, concise points, so you’re often tempted to highlight much of the text on the slide. If the majority of the text on a page is highlighted, you are defeating the purpose of highlighting entirely.
      Another issue with highlighting and underlining is that these methods are largely ineffective for actively processing information compared to other note taking methods. Writing out your notes forces you to condense and summarize information in your own words, allowing the learning process to begin. If you instead only pick up your highlighter and move it across the page, you’re accomplishing much less.
      Don’t take the bait! Actively take notes in lecture and put your highlighters away. Consider keeping one highlighter or pen out to make note of extremely important information, and resist the urge to colorize.
      Note Taking, the Better Way
      The better way to retain information is to actively take notes, and to take them by hand. Studies have shown that those who used laptops in class had a more shallow understanding of lecture material and performed more poorly on tests, especially with conceptual questions. This is even worse when students are multitasking with their laptops during lecture, creating a distraction for themselves.
      Although with a laptop students are able to take more notes, there is little processing involved in transcribing the material. Due to the time constraints associated with taking notes by hand, students are required to actively condense and summarize information throughout lecture while focusing on the most relevant pieces of information. This means that the learning starts from the moment the pen hits the paper, building a solid foundation for studying in the future.
      I believe that for nearly every undergraduate level course, note taking by hand is the superior method, as the speed at which the material is delivered tends to be fairly manageable. When considering graduate level coursework, I do feel that courses move at a more rigorous pace and typing can become a necessity. The moral of the story here is to use your best judgement and prioritize taking notes by hand whenever it is possible.
      The Next Step
      Taking notes is important, but this will only build the foundation for learning. What you do with your notes will determine how successful you are in your courses. My next article will address the most effective ways to study and provide tips for the best methods to utilize for different prerequisite courses.
    • By TheProspectivePA
      Hey guys, 
      My name is Michael and I’m from CT. I am pretty passionate about becoming a PA, but I need some advice guys. Currently I have my AS degree in Radiologic Sciences and am a Registered Radiologic Technoglost (RT) I am working full time as a tech and about to be married in 2 months. I have been working full time for over 1 year and by the time I’m ready to apply it’ll be 2.5 years. (Is this good HCE?I do 12 lead EKGs everyday) Due to my living on my own and working, and trying to avoid loans, I decided to start to get my Bachelors Degree online in Radiology from a nationally accredited school (PIMA Medical Institute). GPA (currently 3.8) and just finished my pharmacology class in which I got a 97, so I’m defintely confident in my abilities. Once I am done with this Bachelors, I plan on taking two Bio’s with labs, a Microbio with a lab and two Chem’s wth labs at my local community college. I already took my A & P I and II with labs and got A’s in both). I will also take a genetics and a biochemistry class there as well. I have sent out dozens of emails to admins at various PA schools and some say they don’t care if my BSRS is from a national accreditation rather than regional as long as I have my bachelors. For example the (University of Bridgeport, Mercyhurst, MCPHS, SRU, AACC) However those big science courses of course shall be regional. I am 5 months into getting my bachelors and will be done with it in April of 2019. I attached a picture so you can see what my Bachelors Degree entails. Shall I continue on this road? I am feeling anxious ill be denied because my Bachelors is from a national accreditation rather than regional even though some don’t care. (most PA program admissions websites say bachelors degree from a “regionally accredited” while others say just say “accredited”) Should I start over somewhere else? I want to apply to a bunch of PA schools. My fiancé is willing to move anywhere she says for when that time comes. P.S - I am not sure if this is by any means relevant but I’ve done over 300+ hours volunteering at the local soup kitchen for the homeless. PLEASE any advice would be great! I hope I’m not screwed, it truly is my dream. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More