2018-2019 Application Cycle

6 minutes ago, megan04 said:

did anyone leave the section blank on the supplemental application that asked about any additional information you'd want the admissions committee to know? I received one 'C' in college but it was not a required prerequisite course (Organic Chemistry II). I was told talking about that, unless I had to, would draw more attention to it. However, now I'm wondering if I should have said something, or now bring it up in an interview if I receive one. anyone have thoughts on this?

I can't recall putting anything in that section! I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they expect you to justify that single 'C'. In my opinion, that section is for things like "it's been 10 years since I was in school, but here is why I'm ready" or "I got 'C's in all my chemistry or anatomy classes" or "it's evident that I struggled with X, but here is how I plan to overcome it"

8 minutes ago, zrader said:

I can't recall putting anything in that section! I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they expect you to justify that single 'C'. In my opinion, that section is for things like "it's been 10 years since I was in school, but here is why I'm ready" or "I got 'C's in all my chemistry or anatomy classes" or "it's evident that I struggled with X, but here is how I plan to overcome it"

Ok great, I feel better now! thank you!!

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 10:44 AM, zrader said:

Hey guys, I was one of the students accepted into the program for the 2017-2018 cycle. I will monitor this thread periodically and try to help in any way that I possibly can. Tag me if you have any questions regarding the application process! Anything from CASPA oriented questions to the day of the interview! I’m excited to help! I know there will be others from the program on here as well. 

I look forward to meeting some of you!

- Z

Hey Z,

Thanks for being willing to help us! I'm not sure if they've already sent out interview invites, but could you tell us how the interview process went for you? like what type: essay, MMI, group, individual, etc... what was the atmosphere like? When were you notified of the interview? how many people are interviewed/ waitlisted? Do people get pulled from the waitlist? Anything helps honestly. 

Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, winb4noon said:

Does anyone happen to know the dates for the interviews? I know it says October/November, but I was just curious if they state the dates somewhere

From what I understand and have been told, it’s mid-October that we possibly receive interview invitations. Looks like usually the 3rd week of October that they send those out. And then I believe all of their interviews are conducted in one week - either first or second full week of Nov! This is what I’m understanding at this point! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, LaiLai2017 said:

Hey Z,

Thanks for being willing to help us! I'm not sure if they've already sent out interview invites, but could you tell us how the interview process went for you? like what type: essay, MMI, group, individual, etc... what was the atmosphere like? When were you notified of the interview? how many people are interviewed/ waitlisted? Do people get pulled from the waitlist? Anything helps honestly. 

Thanks again!

The atmosphere was really nice and was one of the reasons why I chose UAB. The interview itself was with three different members of the PA school faculty. They'll ask you many of the typical questions you would think they'll ask. It was definitely the most relaxed interview I had. Wasn't as intense as the others! There is also an essay, but I honestly can't remember what it was specifically. They interview around 200 people for ~80 seats. Not sure about the waitlist, but there are a few folks from our class that were pulled from the waitlist I think. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 9:30 AM, BLfuturePA said:

From what I understand and have been told, it’s mid-October that we possibly receive interview invitations. Looks like usually the 3rd week of October that they send those out. And then I believe all of their interviews are conducted in one week - either first or second full week of Nov! This is what I’m understanding at this point! 

It was around October 16th of last year that first interview invites were sent out, so we are getting close. I hope to get an interview here. This is my top choice.

9 hours ago, jlduvall said:

If anyone receives an interview for UAB will you post on here? I spoke with a girl in the program that says they go out in a massive email at the same time and she’s thinking it should be this week. I’m going crazy just waiting! 

Previously, I think it’s closer to the third-ish week of the month that interview invites go out! But, I am still so excited it’s finally October for this reason!! 

8 minutes ago, angelabea said:

Does anyone know if they allow us to email admissions to update our application?  I have accumulated more volunteer and shadowing hours and even though I've updated my CASPA, I'm worried they won't see it because I submitted in July.  

I'm actually wondering this as well. Some schools want you to email, some automatically get the updates and some don't accept updates. Let me know what you find out, please!

8 hours ago, paxander said:

I'm actually wondering this as well. Some schools want you to email, some automatically get the updates and some don't accept updates. Let me know what you find out, please!

You will have to verify with Mrs. Glasscock but I do believe per the website all update information needed to be submitted by Oct 1 which was the deadline. Good Luck!

11 hours ago, Carson83 said:

You will have to verify with Mrs. Glasscock but I do believe per the website all update information needed to be submitted by Oct 1 which was the deadline. Good Luck!

Oh shoot! I couldn’t find anything about it on the website, but I must not have looked in the right spot. I’ll double check. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Phoenixfire24 said:

Me too. I got contacted recently about finishing the MPH portion for grad school. I didn't know that had to be done unless you got accepted.  I know those interviews are held a little later too.

Hm all I did was the essay on the supplemental... I also didn’t think there was a separate interview? And agreed it says on their website the grad school applications are for once you are accepted. I haven’t gotten contacted by anyone in the program since July when they said my application was under review.

I was contacted by the Graduate office which I thought was strange. I don't think they are "later," but I thought I read that the interviews were held in  November for the dual degree and thought they started interviews for just the PA program in October.  Or maybe it is acceptance.  It is exciting to see someone else doing the same track though. Good Luck!!!!

Edited by Phoenixfire24