GRE re-take?

Two questions!

1) Does anyone have experience with retaking the GRE? My unofficial verbal reasoning score was wonderful, but I need to up my quant score. Will it look badly if I skip the sections I've already done well in for a program that takes the best scores from multiple tests (this may be program-dependent, just wanted to throw this q out there).

2) Has anyone's official "scaled" GRE score been different than the score noted on your screen the day of the exam?

#1: I have not retaken the GRE before, but I have heard this question proposed on GRE forums. The general consensus is to retake the entire exam, even the writing. Obviously PA programs may look at the GRE differently than traditional graduate programs (like a math or literature program), but it is always a good idea to retake it in its entirety. This is the advice I have read at least.

#2: My unofficial score was exactly my scaled score. I believe it is this way for 99% of the exams. The only think that was different are the percentiles, as this is ETS specific for this period of exams. My Verbal score was a 61st percentile using 2016 measures but a 68th percentile on the official report.

Archived