What are my chances?

So I got a degree in Psychology & Behavioral Science with a minor in biology but didn't take a couple of my behavioral science classes seriously after choosing to go into the medical field and earned two Ds. In an attempt to improve my GPA I decided to try and be superman in my last semester and took 21 units while working full time, including the 6 that I was attempting to make up. I realized a little bit too late in the semester that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with those two make up while trying to juggle everything else and ended up missing the withdrawal date. I received F's for these two classes. I want to know if this will completely blow my chances of getting into PA school. I have an overall GPA of 3.35 (not counting the two F's), a science GPA of 3.49, & a pre-req GPA (depending on the program) of 3.65-3.70. Do I still have a chance?

Well you might want to calculate your gpa with the F’s. You want to make sure you still meet the minimums at your desired schools. If you do apply broadly, get a great GRE score and cross your fingers. I would plan on retaking this two F’s this summer or fall, get an A. This will average them a little higher maybe a D+ or C, it will be a little weird because of the prior D. Use the experience though, what did you learn from this mistake that has made you better.

You need to retake the classes you got below a C in (and I would even consider retaking courses you got a C in ). If I am understanding correctly you initially got Ds in these classes and subsequently got Fs. This is a huge red flag especially if these are science courses. I would not apply this cycle and wait a year so you can focus on getting As and gaining PCE. You will need a significant amount of PCE and a stellar GRE to balance a lower GPA. 

Archived