Current state of the PA job market.

I'm still pre-PA and am wondering about how the brutal recession is affecting the PA job market. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but I don't want to put my family through all the rigor and financial burden of PA school only to find myself unemployed and in massive debt. I've read the online salary surveys and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics projections and they all look very promising. However, I'm a rad-tech and if you were to look up my profession it would say the same thing and we're in a SERIOUS oversupply of rad-techs. In fact, some of my nurse friends have told me they're in a job crunch as well and all you ever hear about is the nursing shortage.

With all the PA schools out there (130+ I believe), and all the online NP programs, I'm just worried about an inevitable oversupply.

I'm still pre-PA and am wondering about how the brutal recession is affecting the PA job market. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but I don't want to put my family through all the rigor and financial burden of PA school only to find myself unemployed and in massive debt. I've read the online salary surveys and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics projections and they all look very promising. However, I'm a rad-tech and if you were to look up my profession it would say the same thing and we're in a SERIOUS oversupply of rad-techs. In fact, some of my nurse friends have told me they're in a job crunch as well and all you ever hear about is the nursing shortage.

With all the PA schools out there (130+ I believe), and all the online NP programs, I'm just worried about an inevitable oversupply.

Well, I believe BLS does these projections in a general sense and by that, I mean there are many places that are truly in shortage of those professions, specifically in rural America. Unfortunately, many people aren't willing to practice out there and you end up with too many nurses and the like in the city. The same is already happening with PAs depending on which city you live in.

Well, I believe BLS does these projections in a general sense and by that, I mean there are many places that are truly in shortage of those professions, specifically in rural America. Unfortunately, many people aren't willing to practice out there and you end up with too many nurses and the like in the city. The same is already happening with PAs depending on which city you live in.

Exactly.

OP, where are you? Where do you hope to practice? How PA friendly is your state/local facilities?

Exactly.

OP, where are you? Where do you hope to practice? How PA friendly is your state/local facilities?

I think there will be good jobs for the foreseeable future if you are willing to relocate and or willing to "invent" a brand new job, where none existed before. However, if you are stuck on one location, and that location has a PA or NP school nearby, and you are not willing to create a new job from scratch, then there could be a problem.

I think there will be good jobs for the foreseeable future if you are willing to relocate and or willing to "invent" a brand new job, where none existed before. However, if you are stuck on one location, and that location has a PA or NP school nearby, and you are not willing to create a new job from scratch, then there could be a problem.

I'm not really stuck on being anywhere. In fact, I'd ideally like to travel. I'm also interested in a post-grad residency. I'm just being cautious. At the hospital I work at I can always find several people in an online NP program and I'm always just thinking "For what position?" and "How is it sustainable to have so many people becoming physician extenders online?"

I'm not really stuck on being anywhere. In fact, I'd ideally like to travel. I'm also interested in a post-grad residency. I'm just being cautious. At the hospital I work at I can always find several people in an online NP program and I'm always just thinking "For what position?" and "How is it sustainable to have so many people becoming physician extenders online?"

agree. also it is possible to "create" a part time or per diem job by calling folks offering full time jobs and giving them parameters for acceptable compromises. a job in my area was posted for > 6 mo wanting 2 people to work 7 on/7 off. I told them I could work 1 weekend/mo. they took this compromise and thereafter posted the job to include part time and per diem folks.

agree. also it is possible to "create" a part time or per diem job by calling folks offering full time jobs and giving them parameters for acceptable compromises. a job in my area was posted for > 6 mo wanting 2 people to work 7 on/7 off. I told them I could work 1 weekend/mo. they took this compromise and thereafter posted the job to include part time and per diem folks.

Online? Am I the only one taken aback by this? I can understand online refreshers, etc. but actual online NP school? I don't mean to take away from the OP topic, but this is the first time i've heard of this.

it's fairly common for np's to do online didactics, even at the dnp level, and then arrange their own rotations. not an ideal situation all around....

Online? Am I the only one taken aback by this? I can understand online refreshers, etc. but actual online NP school? I don't mean to take away from the OP topic, but this is the first time i've heard of this.

it's fairly common for np's to do online didactics, even at the dnp level, and then arrange their own rotations. not an ideal situation all around....

Iirc from my interview there acfew years ago, UC DAVIS' didactic is now 80% online. Clinicals arent...lol obviously

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Iirc from my interview there acfew years ago, UC DAVIS' didactic is now 80% online. Clinicals arent...lol obviously

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Archived