Is it my job to make sure my SP sees hospitalized patients?

I am a new grad working in inpatient psychiatry.

I usually cover weekends alone, and my SP rounds with me or after me on weekdays. We do not discharge anyone on weekends. Recently, my SP told me he will not be rounding the Thursday and Friday prior to my weekend. This means there will be no MD in the hospital for 4 days in a row. I understand every hospitalized patient must be seen at least once by an MD, and told him this. He told me not to worry about it, and call him to discuss the case and discharge anyone we decide to send home. 

My question: if I discharge a patient that was never seen by a physician on the direct order of my SP, can I get in trouble? Is it my responsibility to make sure he's seen everyone?

I don’t know where you live, but I know of no requirement in general that a doc must see every patient. If he is reachable by phone, I would document that the case was discussed with Dr x and the decision is xyz.

On the other hand, you might not be trained enough yet to play this role. If either you or the doc aren’t comfortable, then it’s too soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

No one will protect your license like you.  Is it your job to remind him to do his?  No.  But guess who will get thrown under the bus when things go pear shaped.  Yeah, not him.

I've seen disciplinary action by the Alaska State Board against physicians for "failure to supervise a Physician Assistant" so it would be best for the two of you to have a serious face to face review and dicsussion of supervisory requirements and responsibilities.

Make sure you check hospital bylaws.   When I worked inpatient at my main hospital there was no requirement for a physician to see the patient every day.  They only needed to co-sign my H&P.  If I went over to our other hospital they required a physician to see the patient every day.  

Make sure you check hospital bylaws.   When I worked inpatient at my main hospital there was no requirement for a physician to see the patient every day.  They only needed to co-sign my H&P.  If I went over to our other hospital they required a physician to see the patient every day.  

It should go without saying that the OP needs to go by whichever is the stricter criteria.

Archived