Re-applicant dilemma for next year: Add to my HCE living off ramen or......

After being rejected from all of my programs this year (I didn't apply to many), I realized my weak points (academics) in my application and what I needed to work on for next year's application process.

However, I have a job dilemma to decide upon.

I'm currently enrolled in two science courses to built upon my academics which were not quite stellar (I love school so I'm very excited) and I volunteer Saturday's as a Medical Assistant in an urgent care clinic.

I have two opportunities to decide upon:

1. A colleague at my clinic is in need of a medical assistant to work in her practice which is over an hour commute each way with possible overtime. The schedule with commute will leave me little time to study, in addition, not much finances to pay my bills. It's manageable though, however I probably may not have the time to work Saturdays at my urgent care clinic. On the positive note, this will add to my HCE and which is currently about 6800hrs.

2. My second option is to work in biotech/research (which I have ample experience), is much closer to my home, and continue to work as a medical assistant on Saturdays (hardly adding to my HCE, but managing my living expenses and studying for my two courses with the possibility of additional courses for gits and shiggles).

I want to do it all, but, oh, I cannot! WWUD?

After being rejected from all of my programs this year (I didn't apply to many), I realized my weak points (academics) in my application and what I needed to work on for next year's application process.

However, I have a job dilemma to decide upon.

I'm currently enrolled in two science courses to built upon my academics which were not quite stellar (I love school so I'm very excited) and I volunteer Saturday's as a Medical Assistant in an urgent care clinic.

I have two opportunities to decide upon:

1. A colleague at my clinic is in need of a medical assistant to work in her practice which is over an hour commute each way with possible overtime. The schedule with commute will leave me little time to study, in addition, not much finances to pay my bills. It's manageable though, however I probably may not have the time to work Saturdays at my urgent care clinic. On the positive note, this will add to my HCE and which is currently about 6800hrs.

2. My second option is to work in biotech/research (which I have ample experience), is much closer to my home, and continue to work as a medical assistant on Saturdays (hardly adding to my HCE, but managing my living expenses and studying for my two courses with the possibility of additional courses for gits and shiggles).

I want to do it all, but, oh, I cannot! WWUD?

if your 6800 hrs are mostly in research many programs may not have counted those hrs at all and only counted your medical asst. hrs.

if that is the case your weak points are hce AND Aacademics in which case taking the medical asst. job and only 1 class at a time might be of benefit to work on both issues..

if your 6800 hrs are mostly in research many programs may not have counted those hrs at all and only counted your medical asst. hrs.

if that is the case your weak points are hce AND Aacademics in which case taking the medical asst. job and only 1 class at a time might be of benefit to work on both issues..

My 6800 hrs. were all back office medical assisting (cardiology, internal medicine/family practice) and most recent in community medicine in free clinics.

I recent started working in urgent care with a PA which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thanks all. I've been sort of leaning towards what's vital which is focusing on my classes this year while still maintaining a bit of HCE.

My 6800 hrs. were all back office medical assisting (cardiology, internal medicine/family practice) and most recent in community medicine in free clinics.

I recent started working in urgent care with a PA which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thanks all. I've been sort of leaning towards what's vital which is focusing on my classes this year while still maintaining a bit of HCE.

Archived