Hi all,

I am going to start a teaching position soon and I am wondering about good side gigs (in general). What have you guys found that works well in addition to your main career? I will have 1 clinical day given and weekends free. I am open to all possibilities (e.g. community health, prison system, telehealth, occ med, non-clinical roles, etc...).

Anything else I should know about working a 2nd job? Words of wisdom?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, DizzyJ said:

I do health assessments for the military through a company called LHI.  Most events are on weekends and you sign up whenever you want, but don't always get selected.  I've gotten to travel a lot doing them.  

I do a 1099 for the VA doing DBQ exams. I just travel t/o my state, but mostly do them at my clinic (I had to get it credentialed) and the owner (private practice) gets a very nice paycheck for the rent. Tell me a little more about LHI and what you do? How much do you get per day on average?

My monies are by each veteran I see  so if they no-show then I don't get paid, but over all in 2017 I made an average of ~$135/hr after taxes. Most exams pay me ~$175-$220 per exam with 40% (I take out enough to be safe, but last year it was on about 30% taken out) for taxes, I make great money. No f/u or Rx. I do review test/labs that I order. They also pay for all travel (hotel, food, rental car, flight, etc) unless I drive my own car and they reimburse me for that at the federal rate, pays for lunch, pays malpractice, and pays for my staff to work with me to do vitals and checks patients in. 

39 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

I do a 1099 for the VA doing DBQ exams. I just travel t/o my state, but mostly do them at my clinic (I had to get it credentialed) and the owner (private practice) gets a very nice paycheck for the rent. Tell me a little more about LHI and what you do? How much do you get per day on average?

My monies are by each veteran I see  so if they no-show then I don't get paid, but over all in 2017 I made an average of ~$135/hr after taxes. Most exams pay me ~$175-$220 per exam with 40% (I take out enough to be safe, but last year it was on about 30% taken out) for taxes, I make great money. No f/u or Rx. I do review test/labs that I order. They also pay for all travel (hotel, food, rental car, flight, etc) unless I drive my own car and they reimburse me for that at the federal rate, pays for lunch, pays malpractice, and pays for my staff to work with me to do vitals and checks patients in. 

I did VA exams and never want to see another DBQ! LOL.  I loved the money, but doing the charting was awful.  With LHI I do periodic health assessments (PHA) for service members.  It is not the best pay, but they cover all travel expenses and per diem food allowance.  Mostly, I review medical history and if the service member is healthy, which almost all of them are, and they are able to do their physicial fitness test then they don't even get an exam.  We only do focused exams and put in recommendation for referral.  We don't make any official referral and do not make any diagnosis or treatment plans.  I do it for the travel, netorking, and a little extra cash ($464.67 per day). 

9 minutes ago, DizzyJ said:

I did VA exams and never want to see another DBQ! LOL.  I loved the money, but doing the charting was awful.  With LHI I do periodic health assessments (PHA) for service members.  It is not the best pay, but they cover all travel expenses and per diem food allowance.  Mostly, I review medical history and if the service member is healthy, which almost all of them are, and they are able to do their physicial fitness test then they don't even get an exam.  We only do focused exams and put in recommendation for referral.  We don't make any official referral and do not make any diagnosis or treatment plans.  I do it for the travel, netorking, and a little extra cash ($464.67 per day). 

Haha! It is a lot of paper work for the DBQs, but I do half of it at home and I got it down for most of the exams. If you repeat it enough it will flow quicker. It has been 6 months since my last DBQ so I am a little rusty. I made 31K last year and was taxed about 10K, so 21K for little work is not bad. Thanks for the information. 

This wouldn’t be a bad retirement gig just to get myself out of the house.

13 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

This wouldn’t be a bad retirement gig just to get myself out of the house.

I worked for LHI for a while as well. Really low stress easy gig. Paid by the day. Once I worked a 12 hr day, but the vast majority of the time it was closer to 6. Dependent on the unit. For example, Marines units were always super well organized and would never complain about anything for fear of getting kicked out. Lots of great people to work with.

I stopped working with them as I already work 1 out of 3 weekends on average at my current gig.... not looking for anymore weekend work!

Archived