Housing RV

Anyone ever heard of someone buying an RV for their 2 years of PA school? Financing sucks, but if you could somehow get around those high rates it might work out for ya. There are some really sweet ones out there right now for half of what they used to be sold for.

Semi serious......Thoughts?

Many years ago at UC Davis, some PA students parked an RV on the UCDMC Medical Center lot for their one week of classes a month......the rest of the time they were in their home counties on clinical rotation. Eventually parking caught on but because they could move it every day and only showed up for one week a month, they were able to do this for the entire 24 months.

Many years ago at UC Davis, some PA students parked an RV on the UCDMC Medical Center lot for their one week of classes a month......the rest of the time they were in their home counties on clinical rotation. Eventually parking caught on but because they could move it every day and only showed up for one week a month, they were able to do this for the entire 24 months.

LOL that's funny. Ya got to love creativity.

I've considered this for the clinical year, or if I have to go to school somewhere my wife can't go. I figure it is better than paying for 2 apartments since I want to buy an RV anyway. Can't see wasting that year paying for an additional apartment or hotel rooms when it could go towards paying something off that I plan on buying anyway. How many of you watched Trapper John MD?

I have heard of urban legend of people doing this and writing off the cost as a school related expense.

Will you be up north living through a cold winter? Sure would suck to come back to the RV after class all day, getting ready for finals and find all your water lines froze and burst.

There was an alum at my school who ended up being one of our psych profs who lived in an RV during the didactic. The hospital was under construction and iirc he squatted in tge empty lot...to amazing for fiction.

Nahhh.... no biggie.

When I attended there were about 10-14 folks in my class living in RVs (in that lot before turning left to go to the Student Union) for our 1 week didactic sessions for 12 months. We had some E-P-I-C bar-b-ques and drinkng sessions out there. The Wifee had to drive in from Redwood Shores a couple times to chauffer me home.

Also... the sandwich bar in the med quad was the shiznit...!!!

Ohh.... and I paid for premium (A) lot parking the first quarter then just used a sharpie to change the date on the placard for the rest of the time I was there. I still have it... its stapled to the wall in my garage workshop....:heheh:

Nahhh.... no biggie.

When I attended there were about 10-14 folks in my class living in RVs (in that lot before turning left to go to the Student Union) for our 1 week didactic sessions for 12 months. We had some E-P-I-C bar-b-ques and drinkng sessions out there. The Wifee had to drive in from Redwood Shores a couple times to chauffer me home.

Also... the sandwich bar in the med quad was the shiznit...!!!

Ohh.... and I paid for premium (A) lot parking the first quarter then just used a sharpie to change the date on the placard for the rest of the time I was there. I still have it... its stapled to the wall in my garage workshop....:heheh:

C, i can totally picture that! Lol ahhh pcap.....allowed us to find "creative" alternatives for survival....great story bro

Yah the sandwich shop also had this bladder busting cup fir 3 dollars that u can refill for 50 cents as long as u brought it in...Camille turned us on to that lol

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Rather than pay $500+ for a place near Palo Alto I put $200 into the back of my wife's SUV. I built a narrow bed out of plywood, high-density foam and and microfiber cloth. Add limousine tint and a shower curtain rod with curtain to obscure the back and I was set. I slept in a different spot every night, ate at Subway and showered at 24 hour fitness. Thankfully I only had to do that full time for 4 months before we went to 1 week a month, then only did it for 3 more months before breaking down and spending $200 for 4 nights a month at a hotel. All in all it was hard physically, emotionally, and mentally, but financially both worth it and necessary. I think a class B van motorhome would be optimal, you can check local ordinances on parking on streets.

As for parking, I bought "C" parking for the first quarter, then parked at the top of the distant structure and risked a ticket for the last year. Two $44 tickets were better than the cost of parking all those days, so I made out like a bandit.

Archived