Preceptor Search Tips, Suggestions, Offers in Seattle

Hello,

Currently in didactic year of and looking ahead in clinical year. I am looking for preceptors in the Seattle area in any speciality of medicine for the upcoming academic year August 2018 - November 2019. Do any current students, previous students, current preceptors, or currently practicing PA’s have any tips or suggestions for finding a preceptor in the Seattle area? Or are you willing to precept?

Anything would be helpful. Thanks!  

On 2/20/2018 at 3:30 PM, CJAdmission said:

There's an increasing number of dirtbags that won't take students unless they receive some financial incentive.

When I see students coming out of school with 100s of thousands in debt and having to search out clinical experiences, I wonder who the dirtbags are. That said, I have precepted students for free and for pay. Never felt dirty or clean either way. Definitely appreciated the acknowledgement financial compensation provided for my time and expertise. My staff also benefited from the lunches and cases of kcups I was able to provide with the $.

George

If students are having to search out their own clinical expereinces, their program is in direct violation of a crystal clear ARC-PA standard.

Medical school started us down the very dirty road of paying preceptors. After dozens of generations of physicians viewing precepting as a professional responsibility, someone stuck their hand out for cash and now everyone does. All that matters is money. Of course that is all that matters to anyone anymore. It's a dirty, tawdry business now.

12 hours ago, CJAdmission said:

If students are having to search out their own clinical expereinces, their program is in direct violation of a crystal clear ARC-PA standard.

Medical school started us down the very dirty road of paying preceptors. After dozens of generations of physicians viewing precepting as a professional responsibility, someone stuck their hand out for cash and now everyone does. All that matters is money. Of course that is all that matters to anyone anymore. It's a dirty, tawdry business now.

I’m assuming the OP goes to school in a different state. Many schools allow you to do elective rotations at sites other than those the school has established on the condition that you do the legwork yourself.

I don't understand how these schools are allowed to exist.  You shouldn't be responsible for setting up your own rotations.  We had a home hospital (or several hospitals) where we would do all our rotations and you had to request if you wanted to go somewhere else.  It's crazy. ALL of the preceptors were vetted and reviewed to make sure they were appropriately providing supervision and education. And that the rotations were providing an appropriate array of acuity and pathophysiology.  It's not fair to the students otherwise.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, jmj11 said:

My site (although not Seattle proper) was listed as site for two years (headache medicine / pain) in the MEDEX program and never had a taker so I took our name off the list.

I'd gladly take a student in Olympia for sleep medicine... but it'd be really weird unless a PA wanted to go straight into the specialty, because I can teach a student everything that every PA should know about sleep disorders in a single day of seeing patients together.

Archived