How important is it to attend a school in the state you plan to practice?

Hello Everyone!

I currently live in Southern California but have been lucky enough to be accepted to a couple schools in NY. I am also currently waiting to hear back from a few California schools. I was wondering how important it is in terms of obtaining a job after PA School to attend a school that is located in the state that you wish to practice.

Hello Everyone!
I currently live in Southern California but have been lucky enough to be accepted to a couple schools in NY. I am also currently waiting to hear back from a few California schools. I was wondering how important it is in terms of obtaining a job after PA School to attend a school that is located in the state that you wish to practice.

The only advantage I see from attending a local school is possibly it being easier to network to find a job. Doing a rotation or two in SoCal might be a good idea while you attend a NY school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

The only advantage I see from attending a local school is possibly it being easier to network to find a job. Doing a rotation or two in SoCal might be a good idea while you attend a NY school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the advice! I do believe that my school does offer an "at home" rotation and will be definitely taking advantage of that!

Guest HanSolo

When choosing a more distant program, consider the alumni network you’d be tapping into. More established programs or those affiliated with larger institutions will likely offer a more comprehensive network when trying to move back. I don’t see people talking about it much, but it’s certainly a factor when job hunting. 

Archived