What is your follow-up protocol after job interviews?

I've been interviewing at 2 separate jobs this past month: (A) one is a small, mom-and-pop private practice that specializes in home visits and ALF visits. The other (B) a big, corporate company that has contracts with nursing homes around my state.

Last week, (B) was very quick setting up an interview in a hotel conference room, and the next day meeting a regional medical director.. I thought both went well.

Fast forward to this week: I emailed (B) on Monday about a status update on my candidacy and the national recruiter said she would follow up with the regional medical director.. (A) has basically offered me a job and we have a day of shadowing scheduled this week to see if I like it. However, I am interested in the corporate job for its benefits, opportunities for growth within the company, etc.. I'm on Day #2 after my email and still no word from (B)... Even after being fast-tracked though their interview process.

Is it safe to say (B) moved on? How do you all follow up after job interviews?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

There's lots of reasons you haven't heard from a large corporate entity, if I'm reading your post correctly.  I'm not saying they are ignoring you, but your urgency is not theirs.  Start calling.  Leave messages like this: I know you're there... pickup pickuppickup, ok, talk to you later...I was in the shower, thought I heard the phone ring...

That will pretty much seal the deal!

PS just call for a follow-up. My sense of humor is nonstandard.  Some time I'll tell you about the time a patient was late and I told the admin to tell her she better be on time.  

I don’t think you should assume B has moved on. When you interviewed, did you ask for a decision timeline? My practice has been to call 24-48 hours after the date they’ve given me. Usually employers won’t ghost a candidate they took the time to interview. I’ve never not heard back after the follow up call, but sometimes it’s taken a couple days. Just saw you emailed... try calling. It’s harder to ignore a phone call than an email.

Is it the EXPECTATION for the interviewee to follow up within the week? Honest question, never been on HR side of things. Like, if I don't call, does it tell them I wasn't interested myself?

FYI, this is my 3rd PA job I've interviewed for. My 1st two made it pretty obvious after the interview that I had the job and to call them back after thinking it over...(A) in this scenario kind of did the same as well. I always took it as if I didn't hear anything after a few days of following up even with a simple email, they moved on to someone else.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm not with HR, but I don't think so. 

My last interview I was explicitly told that there would be no decision for two weeks. So I sent out my thank you cards and waited exactly 15 days before calling HR. They made me an offer on day 17.

If they tell you a date, I don't see the point in bugging them before that date unless you have a legitimate reason to contact them. If you have another offer in hand and that other place (job A, in your example) wants an answer, that's a great reason to call HR. Sometimes it speeds the process along if they know their choice candidate is considering another offer.

Generally a "thank you" of some kind shortly after the interview. My recommendation after that is 1 call and 1 email about 2 weeks later. Large organization tend to move S-L-O-W and sometimes need a little prod. However making a pest out of yourself by calling and emailing over and over isn't going to win you any points.

I think my weirdest experience was being told I had a job. Nothing...total radio silence to calls and emails afterwards. 5 months later they said welcome aboard...send us this mountain of paperwork so we can start processing you. I really just laughed at them. Who sits around for 5 months waiting breathlessly for the phone to ring and THEN is still available?

Which job do you want more? If it's B (which I assume it is, based on you not taking A immediately), then how long are you willing to wait? You can send an email letting them know you were offered another position, but prefer theirs and are waiting for a response.

As stated previously, the bigger the corporation, the less urgent their need typically is, and the slower they move.

7 hours ago, greenmood said:
I'm not with HR, but I don't think so. 
My last interview I was explicitly told that there would be no decision for two weeks. So I sent out my thank you cards and waited exactly 15 days before calling HR. They made me an offer on day 17.
If they tell you a date, I don't see the point in bugging them before that date unless you have a legitimate reason to contact them. If you have another offer in hand and that other place (job A, in your example) wants an answer, that's a great reason to call HR. Sometimes it speeds the process along if they know their choice candidate is considering another offer.

Thanks.. (B) never gave me a timeline but with (A)'s offer, I will probably call (B) soon

UPDATE: I called (B) and got the job offer.. now it's decision time :p

Archived