BSN to PA to NP?

48 minutes ago, ProSpectre said:

While I agree with the above advice, I just wanted to note that as of this year, DO schools no longer accept grade replacement in the official AACOM GPA calculation (all grades are averaged now, even repeated attempts). Just study hard, attend any supplemental instruction or tutoring sessions you need to, and use outside resources for the courses to teach yourself if you have to; it is definitely possible to get As in those courses if you put in the work (and just as importantly, the time). 

Source: https://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/notice-of-repeat-coursework-policy-change 

Good to know. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
@above: So I'm going to literally be either one or the other? That's unfortunate. Thanks for clarifying this.

If you guys could do it again, would you go to NP/MD school or continue being a PA? I just don't like the disrespect people get as a PA and I fear having to be an older PA and having to take orders from a younger MD. Thanks for the replies. You've helped alot. 

I just fear getting a lackluster education (like some programs) and suffer in work. I've looked at John Hopkins's NP program, and John Hopkins is known for it's credibility, so I guess that's an option since it will give me the experience I need? I would hate to regret my career choice. 

No you can be both. You just have to sit for both boards. A coworker of mine started around the same time as me at my current job. We were the first PAs hired in primary care for our system. It was NP dominated. she went back and sat for her FNP-C and passed in her words "was a cake walk." i asked her why she said she found out that NPs made a few bucks more an hour at our system so she got an instant raise. She is a great provider. PA trained but NP licensed. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

As far as the pay goes, I later had a conversation with our VP who hired me about pay during one of my annual reviews. She had zero idea there was a pay discrepancy between PAs and NPs in our system... I don't know the specifics but I got my regular pay raise and another one to equate my pay with the NPs. I am not sure but I think they changed it for all PAs. At least that's what I was told when I asked about my fellow PAs there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think Ventana echoed my thoughts on the matter. I have looked into the possibility of securing NP certification and licensure but only because they are kicking our collective butts politically and legislatively. While I don't think I would put tons of time into the idea I see some advantages in being an either/or. You could be a PA when that worked best for whatever your circumstances were or change hats and be an NP particularly in states where they have independent practice.

That said it was an idea after already being a PA for a long time. If I was in undergrad and trying to figure out how to be both I'd probably be giving a hard look at MD instead

14 hours ago, Joelseff said:

i asked her why she said she found out that NPs made a few bucks more an hour at our system so she got an instant raise. She is a great provider. PA trained but NP licensed. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

I thought Np's dont get a PA training. Hence the main reason for me to pursue other fields. I would hate to be diagnosing a patient and I couldn't do it because I didn't know the proper diagnosis.

I'm currently looking at MD (Emergency Physician) or dentistry. I suppose a ACNP-C is an possibility as an easier route, but no disrespect, but PA's dont have much authority. This thread really shook me to the truth. 

I thought Np's dont get a PA training. Hence the main reason for me to pursue other fields. I would hate to be diagnosing a patient and I couldn't do it because I didn't know the proper diagnosis. I'm currently looking at MD (Emergency Physician) or dentistry. I suppose a ACNP-C is an possibility as an easier route, but no disrespect, but PA's dont have much authority. This thread really shook me to the truth. 

The UC Davis FNP/PA program has the same classes for both except some extra NP classes (theory etc) for the FNP track. So for RN BSNs who are in the class after they graduate they can sit for both boards. At least that's how it was when I applied there many years ago. It could've changed and maybe segregated now.  

If you've got the time and willing to sacrifice go MD/DO. I would have if I were single at the time.

Davis is the only program with his ability. Stanford used to have it prior to 2007 but the NP association demanded Stanford have a nursing program in order to hand out a NP degree(makes sense I suppose) So Stanford killed the joint program and went PA only since.

2 hours ago, locomotive said:

I thought Np's dont get a PA training. Hence the main reason for me to pursue other fields. I would hate to be diagnosing a patient and I couldn't do it because I didn't know the proper diagnosis.

I'm currently looking at MD (Emergency Physician) or dentistry. I suppose a ACNP-C is an possibility as an easier route, but no disrespect, but PA's dont have much authority. This thread really shook me to the truth. 

You're better off going the NP route imo. Yes the training for PA is better, but when you look at legislation (political clout, advocacy of the profession, etc.) and individual autonomy, NPs win hands down. I thought about going for PA/MD/DO after PT school for a long time. In the end, I strongly support both professions, but I am happy with my decision. Illinois, which has historically been a tough place for anything other than an MD/DO, now allows an NP to practice independently after working under an NP/MD/DO for a year (~2000+ hours). I don't really care to practice independently, but that goes to show how powerful nurse lobbyists really are. 

You're better off going the NP route imo. Yes the training for PA is better, but when you look at legislation (political clout, advocacy of the profession, etc.) and individual autonomy, NPs win hands down. I thought about going for PA/MD/DO after PT school for a long time. In the end, I strongly support both professions, but I am happy with my decision. Illinois, which has historically been a tough place for anything other than an MD/DO, now allows an NP to practice independently after working under an NP/MD/DO for a year (~2000+ hours). I don't really care to practice independently, but that goes to show how powerful nurse lobbyists really are. 

Just because you "can" does it mean you "should?"

I agree though they are light-years... Hell parsecs (not the Star Wars episode 4 type lol) ahead of us in policy. But if we can get that and we have a ways to go but OTP is a move in that direction, then what advantage would there be to be a FNP vs a PA?

Grant ed I will likely be retired or dead before that happens the way our profession moves when it comes to policy but one can dream...

Some state associations are working hard on real substantial moves. Look at Ohio and Wisconsin (thanks Paula and JDTPAC et al BTW) but yeah at this point they got us...

3 hours ago, Joelseff said:

, then what advantage would there be to be a FNP vs a PA?

Lmfao. Honestly. I never figured out how an academically inferior provider is able to have more autonomy compared to the superior counterpart-Pas. I have nothing against Nps, but when you're dealing with medicine, then you would want the best. 

Lmfao. Honestly. I never figured out how an academically inferior provider is able to have more autonomy compared to the superior counterpart-Pas. I have nothing against Nps, but when you're dealing with medicine, then you would want the best. 

While I agree with part of what you say (hell you quoted me lol) I think the latter part of your post can be used against PAs when it comes to us vs MD/DO, no?

I think independence (true independence) in medicine doesn't really exist. Did it ever? I'm not sure maybe in the late 19th to the mid to late 20th century. Do i want independence? Not really. I wouldn't want to practice "alone on an island" and enjoy collaboration. Do I want full autonomy within my knowledge and training? Do I want a piece of the pie that MD/DO and NPs get (QIP bonuses, meaningful use bonus, higher pay rates in some systems etc) Hell to the yeah! That's what I think FNP did/are doing. The handled theirs (like I said in another post, like gangstas!) Not gonna fault them for it but we should do the same.

21 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Just because you "can" does it mean you "should?"

I agree though they are light-years... Hell parsecs (not the Star Wars episode 4 type lol) ahead of us in policy. But if we can get that and we have a ways to go but OTP is a move in that direction, then what advantage would there be to be a FNP vs a PA?

Grant ed I will likely be retired or dead before that happens the way our profession moves when it comes to policy but one can dream...

Some state associations are working hard on real substantial moves. Look at Ohio and Wisconsin (thanks Paula and JDTPAC et al BTW) but yeah at this point they got us...

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure how long it'll take for PAs to have independence in 22-23 states like nurses do. Will it happen? Maybe. I think MD/DOs will do everything in their power to prevent it, no matter how strong the PA lobbyists become. The ox is hitched to the bandwagon so to speak. I'm rooting for you guys. I just don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. PTs have complete direct access in 20+ states. They might get direct access in every state, but I'm not sure it'll happen any time soon.

Archived