I just started a new job and I've immediately noticed I have trouble with small talk

I just got hired on a medical assistant in the OR, and I've immediately noticed that I struggle with small talk like the rest of the staff seems to excel at. I've been so stressed keeping up with the pace of all of the tasks and skills I'm expected to learn in a short amount of time in order to function in the role they've assigned to me that I'm starting to become aware that I'm being very stand-offish during their conversations. Is this a big issue in healthcare? I'm more focused on what I need to do next for the patient or the physician that I can't process chit chatting while doing that. I've just started to become concerned about it and wanted to see what this forum thought.

Just like how you need to master your work duties by practicing and actively working to improve the skills, people skills require just as much attention. Given, for some people talking and conversing comes natural, but for many it requires more time. My point, don't beat yourself too much over this. You've identified the issue, now as mich above suggested, start with one coworker. New places are always awkward at first, being the only new person there. This is the time to improve your small talks skills. It will come in handy during interviews. 

Good luck. 

Come up with a few stock questions to ask the patient.  Things like "Do you live in the city, or in the suburbs"?, or "Did you have trouble finding parking?", or "Have you recovered from the holidays yet?" should work.  When they answer, build on their response by asking another question, like "Did you go anywhere fun for Christmas?".  It will get easier in time.  I'm not an amazing conversationalist, but I do ok at work because the breadth of small talk topics isn't very wide.

8 hours ago, jlumsden said:

Come up with a few stock questions to ask the patient.  Things like "Do you live in the city, or in the suburbs"?, or "Did you have trouble finding parking?", or "Have you recovered from the holidays yet?" should work.  When they answer, build on their response by asking another question, like "Did you go anywhere fun for Christmas?".  It will get easier in time.  I'm not an amazing conversationalist, but I do ok at work because the breadth of small talk topics isn't very wide.

It's more so with coworkers as opposed to patients. Conversing with patients is much easier because the window you see them for is much smaller.

I agree this takes time (at least for me to get comfortable enough). If your looking for conversation starters try listening to other people’s conversations. Then later incorporate same information in your conversations. For example people talk about vacations before they go. Once they return ask about how the vacation went. Or ask if they have seen latest movie. Some people like talking about their kids, you could ask what their kids are doing. 

Archived