how many schools did you apply to?

I applied to four schools. One was my top choice and the other three were just back up schools that were located in my state. I was accepted around the end of September so I didn't really have to deal with the anxiety of not knowing whether I would get in or not. But, if by the time December came and I had not been accepted anywhere, I would have definitely instructed CASPA to send my application to a few more schools even though that is kind of late in the cycle. If I had gotten rejected from every school I applied to I would have asked the admissions personnel from each school what I could do to improve my application, take their suggestions into consideration, and do my best to get accepted the next cycle.

Applied to 2 PA schools and 1 NP program....got into 1 PA school (my favorite :-)) and the NP program. The NP program was my backup, but after interviewing there and spending some time soul-searching I had already decided not to attend there even if I had to wait another year and re-apply to PA school. I was originally going to apply to only 1 PA program, but I am so glad I added the other one because I actually did not like my original choice once I talked to them a couple more times and definitely didn't like them once I interviewed there. They must have agreed that I wasn't a good fit since I didn't get in there anyway!

I applied to about 8: my #1 choice, the only one in my state and several in surrounding states. I was invited to interview at all of them, but as I was accepted at my #1 choice (and 5th interview) I declined several. I actually paid a $1000 deposit for School Y since I had to make a choice and hadn't yet interviewed at the school I chose. (Suck, right?!) During my interview at School Y, they asked me, "What if you don't get in this cycle?" Seemed kind of awkward, but I answered that I would ask why I wasn't a successful applicant, work on those faults and try again.

When I went to the interview at #1 choice, several people said they were only applying to that school. Kudos for their gutsiness cuz I couldn't have done it! I guess you have to ask yourself, "Would I really choose to move and attend school there if accepted?" If not, why bother spending time and money in applying?

Also, how come you are asking in lieu of your husband? Shouldn't he be the one doing the research?

Also also, 68W...Army medic?

Also, how come you are asking in lieu of your husband? Shouldn't he be the one doing the research?

Also also, 68W...Army medic?

Yes, my husband is a medic. He's had a lot of late nights and early mornings lately so I volunteered to do some research for him. Besides, his decision to go to pa school affects me as well, not just him.

I applied to 13.....I have my masters in another field and some of my classes were expiring after this year and I surely wasnt going to take them again. This year was all or nothing for me....I was accepted at one school in Sept (before they even got my GRE scores) so I knew that I was going to start PA school in 2012, it just depended now on where....of my 13 schools, 3 schools I didnt submit the supplemental app too (since I had the acceptance)....2 schools I didnt take the additional pre reqs I would need therefore I withdrew my application.......was offered interviews at 6 remaining schools (originally accepted interviews at 5 but canceled my Emory interview in the end)......Out of the four schools I interviewed at I was offered 3 seats (the one I didnt get in to, I HATED THE FORMAT OF and wanted to leave 20 minutes after the interview started so I am sure that came across loud and clear).......right now I have accepted at 2 schools and am in the process of making my final decision......as far as backup plan...I had my old career to fall back on and since I was accepted to one school back in Sept, I didnt have to worry about a "real" backup plan.......apply to as many as you can.....and tell your hubby to do his research...his background and experiences will be unlike any of ours so what we did may or may not work for him....plus many of us work full time (at at least one job if not more) and have families and manage to do our research to acquire the necessary details for our future path....yes, his PA school decision involves you (thats a given), but it doesnt look very good for him that wifey is doing his research for him because he has late nights or early mornings...just saying....if it is important to him, he will find a way to do both because if he is accepted to PA school, he will have to figure out how to multitask sooner or later.....

I was one of those who put all his eggs in one basket. I applied to one school and was accepted to that school. My reasoning is the school is within 50 miles from my residence and I've planned on driving. This was my only option. Wasn't ready to up and move my family or move myself leaving them behind. I know others have done this. Just wasn't an option for myself.

Applied to four schools, all within my geographic area cuz I didn't want to move.

This sounds terrible, but I was really quite confident I would get in. It was a confidence born of ignorance... I knew it was competitive, but so are a lot of jobs and I had been a successful job and grad school applicant before. I didn't know anything about how much schools weight grades vs. GRE vs. experience. I had no idea where my numbers stacked up against other people, and I didn't care.

I didn't have a backup plan. I think if you know how to market yourself well and make sure you meet the requirements of the schools to which you apply, your odds of needing one are drastically reduced.

to the OP- I think it's nice that you want to be involved and that your husband agrees. I am wondering if some of the posters that seem to think otherwise are actually married.

Yes, I am married. We met when we were 12 so I've known him over half my life and we are both very invested in each others' success. That said, I still agree with my original statement and with duchesskre. There are so many factors in not only choosing to enter the PA profession, but in selecting a school. I feel making the choice to start on the PA path is an important one and one that deserves a strong commitment from the one actually walking that path. Regardless of how much it affects my husband, my career and where I choose to be educated in it are very personal decisions that only I can make. Further, the information one spouse comes across could mean something or nothing to the other.

At any rate, this is only my opinion; it wasn't meant to be any sort of attack on the OP and I hope it wasn't taken as such.

There are so many factors in not only choosing to enter the PA profession, but in selecting a school. I feel making the choice to start on the PA path is an important one and one that deserves a strong commitment from the one actually walking that path. Regardless of how much it affects my husband, my career and where I choose to be educated in it are very personal decisions that only I can make. Further, the information one spouse comes across could mean something or nothing to the other.

At any rate, this is only my opinion; it wasn't meant to be any sort of attack on the OP and I hope it wasn't taken as such.

I concur....it's one thing to be encouraging and supportive of your spouse (and also getting an understanding of what your life will look like while he is going to school) but it is also my opinion that the work (be it the research of schools, the applying to schools, or the attending of a program) should be initiated and completed by the one who is interested in the career....

I think back to my pre-PA days. My better half didn't know everything about my applications and how getting into PA school worked. I would hope that if he had asked a question of one of my colleagues, they would have politely answered it instead of giving him a hard time for no reason.

Archived