Not residency trained instructor?

Okay, popped in with a quick thought.. (got several great cases to post if I can find time in this semi retirement I am enjoying)

As you know, I am not residency trained. But I am fair to middlin at EM and CC. If I wanted to, now that there is some free time in my life, donate some teaching to a residency program for PAs, would I be qualified?

I can remember when em was started by e.jack, Rosen, et all.. None of which were residency trained themselves.. They created the specialty.

Are , or will, PA residencies elbowing out seemingly qualified experienced and even academic potential instructors ... Because they have not themselves completed a residency?

Any residency PDs there got feelings about his?

Extending the thought:

Should BS/BA or even certificate level senior PAs be able to instruct MS/ Dsc level PA students?

E? Anomaly?

only my guess right now......

no requirement for degree but LOTS of experience - once accepted into a toeaching roll (and depends on rather volunteer or paid) then you may need to enroll in a degree program. Volunteer - they will take you as you are. Paid - they will want you to atleast a masters level, may doc in the future but not now.

My hunch is there just is not enough well trained PA's wanting to teach to start exclude based on degree. My program went from an AAS to a MS a few years after i left - they really pushed all the current staff to get MA or PHD - they were really supportive and wanted people to stay and get the advanced degrees.

I have to believe experience would trump the degree.....

As someone who gives a lot of credence to experience, I would think you'd be more than qualified to instruct PA residents, and wouldn't have minded you doing some of my instruction when I was a resident! My experience was slightly skewed, as my instructors were all the physician ED faculty (I had little interaction, academic-wise, with the staff PA's), but for someone who's "been there, done that" for as long as the specialty has been around....I'd hate to exclude you from the academic arena.

From a more objective viewpoint, there currently is no real "credential" to teach/advise at a post-graduate program, so if you were to get in on the ground floor now you'd be golden. The CAQ's are still in their infancy, and while eventually you'll have to pass it to qualify as an instructor, that won't happen for many years just because of numbers and availability.

Extended further with your analogy, I firmly believe PA's with years of experience should qualify as instructors at programs, no matter if certificate, bachelor's or master's-level programs.

There is a new em pa residency program opening near me at a place I already work per diem. I am in negotiations to do the off service rotations for the program(at full pay) then stay on as faculty. they want all their grads to pass the CAQ (which I have already done). their goal is to train folks to solo manage rural level 3 facilities which really appeals to me more than staying on as faculty. maybe I could do both?

we'll see how this plays out.....

RC,

Depends on what your intentions are. If you want to do periodic lectures (this would include the same ones on a yearly basis) or in-hospital training/teaching (or practical stuff), I would think most programs would look the other way and take advantage of your significant expertise. If you wanted any sort of faculty appointment at a tenure-possible level (assistant professor level or higher), you would ultimately have to have a degree to do it. It might be possible to get an "Instructor" appointment without a degree but that would be about it. This is how it would at least start out...

Once enough people were sufficiently trained who were qualified to teach along with having the degree, that's when you would run into issues. I see this already when looking at MS-prepared instructors vs. PhD or MD prepared instructors. Some of it is what the students want and some of it is what the programs want. In the end though, the programs want to show that they have the highest-trained level of instructor(s) providing their students education. I think its a crock of sh*t but it seems to be how it has unfolded at 2 programs for which I am involved...

Now, this only applies to primary PA education. With residencies still being a new entity and evolving, it may blossom differently. I doubt it though... academia is ultimately a creature of habit.

G

I think it depends if the residency is university affiliated or not. the one opening soon near me is not and will have several pa faculty who have a.s. degrees as pa's....

Give it time... this will change as the field dynamics continue to evolve. Those with "less than Master's" training will either be forced to get the "higher" degrees or forced out of academia. Academia is a strange lot unto themselves... and there is nothing like academia to police its own...

G

Archived