The school I have an interview with just got put on probation

Keep in mind that if a program sees your CASPA was verified in June (or whenever earlier this summer) and you are just applying to them now, they pretty much know they are just a last resort for you....frankly I find it money wasted.  The likelihood they will consider you seriously is so low you might as well save the money for next year.

Figure out why the school was put on probation.  Ask at the interview what actions they plan to take (they probably will preemptively address this).

Just remember that probational accreditation is still accreditation. It just means that ARC-PA recognized that the school had a problem that they needed to fix. Also know that ARC-PA puts programs on probation for a plethora of things, many of which do not speak to the quality of the education at all, such as a clerical/administrative (not filing paperwork right, not keeping records properly, etc.) While all of this is important, it does not mean that the school is a bad school or the quality of the education is reduced. I would be more concerned still with PANCE pass rates and employment outcomes of their graduates. Finally, remember that if you start a program that is accredited, even probationally, then you will be allowed to sit for the PANCE upon graduation, even if the program looses accreditation while you are enrolled.

17 minutes ago, mooredc said:

Just remember that probational accreditation is still accreditation. It just means that ARC-PA recognized that the school had a problem that they needed to fix. Also know that ARC-PA puts programs on probation for a plethora of things, many of which do not speak to the quality of the education at all, such as a clerical/administrative (not filing paperwork right, not keeping records properly, etc.) While all of this is important, it does not mean that the school is a bad school or the quality of the education is reduced. I would be more concerned still with PANCE pass rates and employment outcomes of their graduates. Finally, remember that if you start a program that is accredited, even probationally, then you will be allowed to sit for the PANCE upon graduation, even if the program looses accreditation while you are enrolled.

93-96% PANCE

From their website, what do you guys think:

To which program does the probation status apply?

Probation status applies only to the Manchester/Worcester MPAS program and does not affect the Boston MPAS program or the DScPAS program in any way.

How does probation affect the Manchester/Worcester MPAS program?

The Manchester/Worcester Physician Assistant program remains accredited during the temporary status of probation. Our students are still able to fulfill the curriculum requirements for program completion and graduation, including placement at clinical rotation sites, sit for the board PANCE exam, and become licensed and credentialed, and our graduates are able to seek employment as physician assistants. The University and Program will ensure that every effort is made to support the full compliance with the accreditation standards set forth by the ARC-PA. We are committed to empowering students to go on to successful careers as physician assistants through innovative programs, our interprofessional healthcare environment, and interdisciplinary educational opportunities.

Why would a Physician Assistant Program be placed on probation?

Accreditation-Probation is a temporary status of accreditation, limited to two years, granted when the accrediting body determines that a program does not meet, or only partially meets, all or some of the required standards. In the case of the MCPHS MPAS Manchester/Worcester program, the ARC-PA concerns fall into five broad categories:

1. Professional development and workload

ARC-PA states that the program does not provide adequate professional development opportunities for the PA faculty and Program Director, particularly faculty who hold a 0.8 FTE appointment. The University has already revised its policy on 0.8 FTE faculty to include more time for scholarly activities, and the program is in the process of providing better documentation on faculty activities in this important area.

2. Documentation: preceptor record-keeping, website postings, and clinical site visits

The concerns in this group are basically technical in nature and most have already been addressed. The University has collected license and board-certification data for 85% of the its clinical preceptors and will be 100% compliant prior to the January 2018 reporting date. Similarly, the University is in the process of posting all required program data, including pass rates, articulation agreements, and instructional outcomes. While much of this information is contained in the University Catalog, which has always been available on the website, we will ensure that the relevant data appear on the program’s webpage, as well. Finally, the program is reviewing its policy on visiting clinical sites in order to improve quality of documentation and ease of tracking site performance.

3. Parity/facilities: Manchester and Worcester campuses

ARC-PA expressed concern that the physical assessment laboratory on the Manchester campus was operated differently from the physical assessment laboratory on the Worcester campus. The program has already made the necessary adjustments in lab hours and equipment to ensure that both facilities will operate identically when the new cohort enters in January 2018. In Manchester, the new cohort of students was reduced to a total of 55 and the Worcester cohort was adjusted to a total of 70 students, which meets the enrollment cap set by the ARC-PA. With these adjustments in the distribution of the students on the Manchester and Worcester campuses, the program will ensure that there is equivalent clinical and instructional space for all PA students.

4. Curriculum, learning outcomes, and course content

The concerns on the PA curriculum fall into two primary categories:

A) Regional differences on the practice of Family Medicine, as it is practiced in the northeast

B) Pedagogical differences on where certain content area – including rehabilitation care, pediatrics, geriatrics, women’s health, behavioral and mental health – can (or should) be found in the PA curriculum. The University has authorized the program to hire an outside consultant to assist addressing these issues, and in better communicating to ARC-PA the content of the curriculum.

5. Assessment

While the program gathers a variety of useful data on its educational practices and policies, we recognize the need to improve the ways in which those data are analyzed, disseminated, and used for quality improvement. On an institutional level, the University recognizes the need to provide additional support and training in good assessment practices to administrators and faculty in its various schools and programs. To this end, the Provost has tasked two Associate Provosts with developing and implementing an institution-wide assessment plan that includes specific goals and milestones for each academic unit as well as the University as a whole. We are confident that these enhanced assessment activities will be in place and generating results well in advance of April 15, 2019, which is the reporting date relevant to this concern.

What is the deadline to resolve all of these citations and achieve full accreditation?

The program has until September 2019 to address all of the issues and return to full accreditation.

9 minutes ago, place123 said:

93-96% PANCE

From their website, what do you guys think:

To which program does the probation status apply?

Probation status applies only to the Manchester/Worcester MPAS program and does not affect the Boston MPAS program or the DScPAS program in any way.

How does probation affect the Manchester/Worcester MPAS program?

The Manchester/Worcester Physician Assistant program remains accredited during the temporary status of probation. Our students are still able to fulfill the curriculum requirements for program completion and graduation, including placement at clinical rotation sites, sit for the board PANCE exam, and become licensed and credentialed, and our graduates are able to seek employment as physician assistants. The University and Program will ensure that every effort is made to support the full compliance with the accreditation standards set forth by the ARC-PA. We are committed to empowering students to go on to successful careers as physician assistants through innovative programs, our interprofessional healthcare environment, and interdisciplinary educational opportunities.

Why would a Physician Assistant Program be placed on probation?

Accreditation-Probation is a temporary status of accreditation, limited to two years, granted when the accrediting body determines that a program does not meet, or only partially meets, all or some of the required standards. In the case of the MCPHS MPAS Manchester/Worcester program, the ARC-PA concerns fall into five broad categories:

1. Professional development and workload

ARC-PA states that the program does not provide adequate professional development opportunities for the PA faculty and Program Director, particularly faculty who hold a 0.8 FTE appointment. The University has already revised its policy on 0.8 FTE faculty to include more time for scholarly activities, and the program is in the process of providing better documentation on faculty activities in this important area.

2. Documentation: preceptor record-keeping, website postings, and clinical site visits

The concerns in this group are basically technical in nature and most have already been addressed. The University has collected license and board-certification data for 85% of the its clinical preceptors and will be 100% compliant prior to the January 2018 reporting date. Similarly, the University is in the process of posting all required program data, including pass rates, articulation agreements, and instructional outcomes. While much of this information is contained in the University Catalog, which has always been available on the website, we will ensure that the relevant data appear on the program’s webpage, as well. Finally, the program is reviewing its policy on visiting clinical sites in order to improve quality of documentation and ease of tracking site performance.

3. Parity/facilities: Manchester and Worcester campuses

ARC-PA expressed concern that the physical assessment laboratory on the Manchester campus was operated differently from the physical assessment laboratory on the Worcester campus. The program has already made the necessary adjustments in lab hours and equipment to ensure that both facilities will operate identically when the new cohort enters in January 2018. In Manchester, the new cohort of students was reduced to a total of 55 and the Worcester cohort was adjusted to a total of 70 students, which meets the enrollment cap set by the ARC-PA. With these adjustments in the distribution of the students on the Manchester and Worcester campuses, the program will ensure that there is equivalent clinical and instructional space for all PA students.

4. Curriculum, learning outcomes, and course content

The concerns on the PA curriculum fall into two primary categories:

A) Regional differences on the practice of Family Medicine, as it is practiced in the northeast

B) Pedagogical differences on where certain content area – including rehabilitation care, pediatrics, geriatrics, women’s health, behavioral and mental health – can (or should) be found in the PA curriculum. The University has authorized the program to hire an outside consultant to assist addressing these issues, and in better communicating to ARC-PA the content of the curriculum.

5. Assessment

While the program gathers a variety of useful data on its educational practices and policies, we recognize the need to improve the ways in which those data are analyzed, disseminated, and used for quality improvement. On an institutional level, the University recognizes the need to provide additional support and training in good assessment practices to administrators and faculty in its various schools and programs. To this end, the Provost has tasked two Associate Provosts with developing and implementing an institution-wide assessment plan that includes specific goals and milestones for each academic unit as well as the University as a whole. We are confident that these enhanced assessment activities will be in place and generating results well in advance of April 15, 2019, which is the reporting date relevant to this concern.

What is the deadline to resolve all of these citations and achieve full accreditation?

The program has until September 2019 to address all of the issues and return to full accreditation.

These don’t sound like any glaring issues that would affect my comfort level in accepting and interview or going to this program if it seemed like a good fit were I in your shoes...

On 11/13/2017 at 2:47 PM, place123 said:

MCPHS in Manchester New Hampshire.

Not sure how to react to this.  I have only heard back from this school and one other which was a rejection.  I applied to ten schools.

Maybe I should apply to more that have later deadlines.  

On 11/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, ChristineQLe said:

I know how you feel for every rejection I get I compensate by applying to three more but it really hurts my wallet and it’s so late in the cycle. keep Trying and keep the spirit of hope alive

I did this. Once I started getting the rejection emails, I panicked and applied to few more schools. Guess what, I landed two interviews with the schools I applied to in panic mode. So, it all depends on your choice. Do you want to spend more or are you comfortable and confident with the acceptance you have and waiting on the ones you have already applied to? 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:47 AM, mooredc said:

I agree with MCHAD, none of that would stop me from applying or going. Have you looked on other blogs to see how current students talk of the program?

I dont know what other forums would be talking about it. There was a huge thread on student doctor network about this school but at the worcester location ( there are 3 mcphs locations). I didn't read through the whole thing yet.

correction i think thats a thread about the pharmacy program

Hi everyone, i graduated from MCPHS in Worcester (same as Manchester) one year ago. They were put on probation at the end of my 2nd year due to the faculty accepting way too many students for the 2017 and 2018 graduating class. An easy fix for the school that i believe they’ve resolved over the last year. Good program in my opinion, nothing to be worried about

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 6:50 PM, clballin said:

Hi everyone, i graduated from MCPHS in Worcester (same as Manchester) one year ago. They were put on probation at the end of my 2nd year due to the faculty accepting way too many students for the 2017 and 2018 graduating class. An easy fix for the school that i believe they’ve resolved over the last year. Good program in my opinion, nothing to be worried about

This wasn't a minor violation. Accepting too many students indicates a high attrition rate and a focus on the bottom financial line while potentially exceeding the resources allocated to a cohort of students. Round 2 of evaluation uncovered significantly more issues as listed in the actual citations. While the plan seems reasonable, addressing many of these issues will involve an institutional culture change, something that takes time not measured in weeks and months. PA training is fraught with anxiety and uncertainty. Probationary status is distracting for students, faculty and staff. Likely some faculty and staff will be required to divert attention from students to address the requirements to get off probation. If given the choice between programs on or off probation, go with no probation. They have the process figured out and your tuition dollars will be well spent. Time is a PA student's scarcest resource, no sense wasting this on concern about the quality and longevity of the program attended.

Good luck. George

Archived