Organic Chem 2 v. BioChem?

Hey Guys! So I am currently a junior getting my B.S. in biology with a minor in neuroscience and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what chemistry classes to take. I am about to finish my first semester of Organic Chemistry 1 with an A but I am not sure if I should take Organic Chem 2. Regardless, my program requires me to take Biochemistry. Should I take both? I really haven't found any schools that actually require Organic Chem 2 but my advisor recommends me to still take it. What do you guys think??

10 minutes ago, sambarker said:

Hey Guys! So I am currently a junior getting my B.S. in biology with a minor in neuroscience and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what chemistry classes to take. I am about to finish my first semester of Organic Chemistry 1 with an A but I am not sure if I should take Organic Chem 2. Regardless, my program requires me to take Biochemistry. Should I take both? I really haven't found any schools that actually require Organic Chem 2 but my advisor recommends me to still take it. What do you guys think??

Hey. It does not hurt to take both. Some programs ask for one semester of biochem and one of organic. Some asks for 2 semester of organic and/or 2 of biochem. You should just take both because you may never know which schools you are going to apply to, and who wants what. Good luck. 

Biochemistry is many times more relevant to both biomedical research and clinical medicine vs. organic chemistry. 1 course of o-chem is more than enough, in my opinion. 

Caveat: I am recently accepted, not yet in PA school; but I have a graduate degree in biology and have taught at a 4-year university for several years. 

Archived