Relocating to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Hello all, I will be graduating from a PA program in western Ohio in about a month. I'm relocating to Pittsburgh after taking boards, and I was hoping for some advice regarding job searching and best places to work. My research has shown that the local job market is pretty saturated and salaries are low, especially through UPMC. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area has recommendations of outlying towns and hospitals that could provide better job opportunities.

I totally replied a very long message, and it seems to have not saved :(

I am moving next month to go to PA school in WV. I live in Ohio and commute 45 minutes to Pittsburgh. I work at St Clair Hospital. There's also Allegheny Health System and a few other independent hospitals, and of course UPMC. UPMC is notorious for not paying well, at least for us lab folk. I'd try to avoid them if possible, just from personal experience with HR and pay. 

I think St Clair is a decent place to work. The pay for us is far superior to anything local to Ohio/WV where I live. 

Bonus: if you're interested in living in Ohio (far lower COL than Pennsylvania) and commuting, then I know of a house for sale or rent (hint: mine!).

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We are located in the Pittsburgh, PA suburb of Cranberry Township. The biggest hospitals here are Allegheny Health Network and UPMC, followed by a bunch of mid-sized and small ones. I don't think you'll make less than $75K + bennies and decent PTO. I just don't see it being any less than that.