amandamc

Relocating to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Hello all, I will be graduating from a PA program in western Ohio in about a month. I'm relocating to Pittsburgh after taking boards, and I was hoping for some advice regarding job searching and best places to work. My research has shown that the local job market is pretty saturated and salaries are low, especially through UPMC. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area has recommendations of outlying towns and hospitals that could provide better job opportunities.

I totally replied a very long message, and it seems to have not saved :(

I am moving next month to go to PA school in WV. I live in Ohio and commute 45 minutes to Pittsburgh. I work at St Clair Hospital. There's also Allegheny Health System and a few other independent hospitals, and of course UPMC. UPMC is notorious for not paying well, at least for us lab folk. I'd try to avoid them if possible, just from personal experience with HR and pay. 

I think St Clair is a decent place to work. The pay for us is far superior to anything local to Ohio/WV where I live. 

Bonus: if you're interested in living in Ohio (far lower COL than Pennsylvania) and commuting, then I know of a house for sale or rent (hint: mine!).

• Upvote 1

We are located in the Pittsburgh, PA suburb of Cranberry Township. The biggest hospitals here are Allegheny Health Network and UPMC, followed by a bunch of mid-sized and small ones. I don't think you'll make less than $75K + bennies and decent PTO. I just don't see it being any less than that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KPMGZ8
      Hello All,
      I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for a question bank to help learn critical care medicine? I'm a relatively new PA (graduated in May 2018) and have been practicing in critical care for about a year now. I work in a 26 bed mixed ICU at a community hospital. I've been reading the Washington Manual of Critical Care, Marino's ICU Book, and Up-to-Date. I've also done the Critical Care board review course offered by the SCCM. I'd like to find a question bank that I can use to test my critical care knowledge as well as general adult medical knowledge.
      I used ROSH review to study for the PANCE and really liked it. I used the app on my phone and was able to answer questions throughout the day and found it easy to answer a few questions here and there without having to dedicate exclusive study time. I'd like to find something with an equivalent ease of use but ROSH doesn't have any questions geared specifically towards CCM. ROSH does have IM and EM question banks consisting of ~ 1000 questions geared towards residents which I've considered as an option. ROSH also has the NCCPA Hospital Medicine CAQ question bank for Hospitalist PAs that I've considered. Additionally, it seems that CHEST SEEK Critical Care Medicine and the SCCM Self-Assessment Multiprofessional Critical Care are used frequently by CCM fellows who are studying for the CCM Boards. I fear that these latter resources may be too dense for my understanding at this point.
      So... My hope is that someone out there has some insight into these (and other) question bank resources and can help guide my decision before dropping hundreds of dollars. I appreciate any help or suggestions.
    • By Spacey22
      Hey guys!
      My husband is in the Navy and he JUST got orders to Mississippi for March 2020. I also JUST got a new job where we are located at right now. I’m also a new grad PA, so I plan on doing the long distance thing for several months (ugh) so that I can say that I’ve got a year of experience on my resume. 
      Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Mississippi (specifically Gulfport/Biloxi)? 
      Is the job market better in Alabama? Should I focus on getting my license there instead, or Mississippi? It’s an hour drive to Mobile.
      What’s the licensing process like for Mississippi? I heard the medical board has to interview you. What is that like?

thank you!
    • By shanmmull
      Hi everyone! I’m a new grad PA who just graduated a couple months ago and I’m primarily interested in GI, Family, or Hospital Medicine. A PA who I used to shadow in Thoracic Surgery reached out to me and asked for my resume and I thought, what the hell, I’ll give it a shot and see what this job is about. I just had an interview for this Thoracic surgery job and the team is willing to give me great training as a new grad. It seems great, but I’m not crazy about surgery and don’t have much procedure experience. They haven’t given me an offer yet, but I’m concerned that I won’t know what to do if they do. Should I hold out and see if I get an opportunity in specialty that I really want?  Part of me worries that if I turn this down another opportunity won’t come along...as I’ve already applied to about 15 different places the past month but haven’t heard anything back. Also how long is appropriate time to ask for before accepting an offer? 
    • By futurepa777
      Hi,
      I graduated in december 2018, passed the boards, got my license, but have been struggling to find a job as a new grad. Everyone wants at least 2 years experience, no matter big name or no name or wants an NP. Now 6 months out of school with loans about to kick in I'm getting discouraged, but have too much of a debt burden to move out of state. The gap since graduation has started to come up in interviews as well and I anticipate it will only get worse. Any tips or leads? I've contacted old precptors,  have an updated linkedin account and actively apply daily, but just curious if there are any other strategies people used as a recent grad.
      Thank you!
    • By kuzya4236
      Monday to Friday 9-5. No weekends.
      But I’ve shadowed on Monday and they usually stay late. When the doctor is there the work seems very secretarial. Calling about results a lot of the time from what I’ve seen. There’s a PA there that’s been there for 3 years and even she seems to spend most of the time at the computer. But I will get to do joint injections and the standard pain management stuff.
      Benefits: 80k + 10k signing bonus (repaid in full if I leave within two years)
      Insurances Full
      Licensing, DEA, and credentialing; Full
      $750 CME
      2 weeks paid for vacation and sick leave
      1 week paid for CME
      Malpractice Covered with No tail (but tail seems to be required) 2 Year, 15 mile non-compete (they have 3 offices)
      Oh and they want me to start as an MA at $16/hr while my licensing is going through.
      Pretty bad huh?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More