Orgo and UNE Online Biochem Question

So, I need to take biochem as a prereq for most PA schools, and I am planning on taking UNE online biochem course. Only problem is I have not taken Orgo, and I do not see any Orgo prereq on the UNE website. So, my community college offers a combined survey course of Orgo and biochem that seems like a pretty good option before I take biochem. 

Do any of you feel this is a good idea? Should I just go straight for the UNE online biochem course, or should I just take Orgo 1? 

I was in the same boat.  I took Biochem at UNE.  I have never taken organic chem and I aced the biochem class.  I have no idea if it would benefit you to take Ochem before, but it worked out fine for me.  Before enrolling I did a little research on the matter and read a study that actually addressed this issue.  Here's the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649648/

Hope that helps!

Make sure none of the schools you're going to require Ochem before you take that class, because then you'd have to take Ochem anyway. Also NEVER take a survey class because it won't count for required course work since it is only a survey course. Also, most PA schools want to make sure the school is REGIONALLY accredited, so make sure it's in your region as far as universities go. That's my two cents. Good luck! 

Thank you for all the replies! I have heard mixed reviews on whether taking Orgo is actually necessary before taking biochem.

@rosebud- How was the UNE course? Did they provide you with all the info needed to succeed without having taken an Orgo course? I went over the link that you posted, and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like it says there is no correlation between taking Orgo before biochem and succeeding, but there is a strong correlation in GPA and biochem, basically meaning if you're a good student and try hard, you'll do good in the class without taking Orgo first. 

3 hours ago, Galanm42690 said:

@TheLastStone UNE does not require orgo, but just recommends it. It is also a regionally accredited course. I will have a whole semester dedicated to biochem just because it is a main prereq,and because I work full-time, and I do not want anything getting in the way of me getting an A. 

I meant the PA schools that you're applying to. Make sure none of those schools require Ochem. Sorry for the confusion. I would have taken biochem at UNE if it was in my region but it is not. Also, it couldn't hurt to make sure you prospective PA schools let you take online classes. Just trying to think of any hinderance. Should be ok.

If a school doesn't require a prerequisite then you don't need it. Anyone with a completed Bachelor's will tell you that schools have a very low threshold for making a prerequisite mandatory and we've all taken mandatory prerequisites that turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I've taken UNE online biochem after taking Orgo I & II. The Orgo background made it about 4% easier.

You could have taken it. It does matter that a school is regionally accredited. It doesn't matter which region it's accredited in.

I thought it had to be specific to the region you are in. Interesting. I’m still eligible to take it. I had just kind of written it off and scheduled orgo 1 and 2 and take biochem at my university. I have not done so yet, but it seems like I should look into this. It would change my school list some, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Galanm42690 said:

I emailed the director of the course, he said, "Those courses listed are RECOMMENDED, but not absolutely REQUIRED." I asked if technically I could apply without taking it and he said, "Technically...Yes, but we do not recommend it!" 

Well, I have two semesters before I'm even eligible because I have to get the chem classes done first, so it may change by then, but I'll plan accordingly. It seems like a nice plan that I could probably follow with, and I might. I just don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket... especially if over a year the recommendation becomes a requirement. Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, Galanm42690 said:

Thank you for all the replies! I have heard mixed reviews on whether taking Orgo is actually necessary before taking biochem.

@rosebud- How was the UNE course? Did they provide you with all the info needed to succeed without having taken an Orgo course? I went over the link that you posted, and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like it says there is no correlation between taking Orgo before biochem and succeeding, but there is a strong correlation in GPA and biochem, basically meaning if you're a good student and try hard, you'll do good in the class without taking Orgo first. 

Yes, that is what I got from the article also.  They did not necessarily provide any extra material to help, but I did not feel that was needed.  The professors respond quickly to emails if you have a question.  The material is very in depth and the exams are very detailed.  It requires a lot of study time, but if you listen to the lectures closely and read the book thoroughly you should be fine.  I don't recall ever needing to look up something outside of the scope of the course, so if there was any organic chem material integrated, the textbook covered the explanation I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 7:08 PM, Galanm42690 said:

So, I need to take biochem as a prereq for most PA schools, and I am planning on taking UNE online biochem course. Only problem is I have not taken Orgo, and I do not see any Orgo prereq on the UNE website. So, my community college offers a combined survey course of Orgo and biochem that seems like a pretty good option before I take biochem. 

Do any of you feel this is a good idea? Should I just go straight for the UNE online biochem course, or should I just take Orgo 1? 

Have you considered Doane University's online biochemistry class? I took this class online and it is amazing. The school is much smaller and I had a much better experience at Doane than I did at UNE. Doane has a whole online health prerequiste program like UNE. The professor at Doane was fantastic and the class truly was designed for us to learn. There were no tests to have to get proctored. Instead, you proved your learning through various assignments that you could not complete without grasping the material. Overall, I learned way more from Doane and had a better experience all together. Also, the only thing that organic helped me with in biochem was having experience drawing structures. 

1 hour ago, mooredc said:

Have you considered Doane University's online biochemistry class? I took this class online and it is amazing. The school is much smaller and I had a much better experience at Doane than I did at UNE. Doane has a whole online health prerequiste program like UNE. The professor at Doane was fantastic and the class truly was designed for us to learn. There were no tests to have to get proctored. Instead, you proved your learning through various assignments that you could not complete without grasping the material. Overall, I learned way more from Doane and had a better experience all together. Also, the only thing that organic helped me with in biochem was having experience drawing structures. 

Is it nationally accredited? Also, did you feel you needed orgo to take it or did fine without it?

Archived