Medicare Adjustor Contract

Sorry to post this here guys but I need to respond to an offer by tomorrow and need some more opinions. 

Title: Medicare Risk Adjustor

Basically I will be going to 1-2 facilities per day and seeing 10-12 patients in order to find undiagnosed chronic conditions that have been undiagnosed. I would do extensive review of their history and perform a PE and diagnose them. I would be doing this 3-4 days/week and 1-2 days/week I'd be at home doing chart reviews. 

Offer: $62/hr as a salaried employee for $129k/yr. Tried negotiating twice, they didn't budge. 

$5k bonus end of year if I stay for a year. One time thing.

Potential $5k bonus if I meet certain goals ( I am not counting on this in the first year)

Mileage reimbursement. 

Full health, dental, vision, malpractice.

25 days PTO years 1-4. Unused days roll over to next year. Can cash out. (Full 25 days cashed out would be $12.4k)

M-F, 8-5

No 401k match

Total for one full year comes out to: $140-$145k

I am currently making $65/hr in the ER and bringing in about $113k/yr including OT and bonus. + $9k for PTO. I also get a 7% 401k match. 

This job is very stressful as we are always understaffed. I also work nights and weekends which is getting in the way of life. I will be leaving this job no matter what, but how does the new offer sound?

Has anyone had any experience being a medicare risk adjustor or heard anything? How does this contract look?

Thanks 

• Administrator

You could do worse.  Sounds like not a whole lot of actual treatment going on, so I'm not sure how you are about your whole point of existence being to maximize medicare payments to a private organization, because that's what this is.  As I mentioned in another thread, this was something I was expected to incorporate into my daily practice at Group Health, but it was something done in the process of seeing and treating patients, not a separate visit that didn't benefit the patient at all.

There is the Medicare Wellness visit which is a unique visit solely for the purpose of drilling down through the patients history and making sure all of the patients diagnosis are in the chart, all recommended screening tests are being done or have, and follow up visits are scheduled for identified issues. Known problems are not addressed beyond making sure they are being followed and no refills are done. There is no actual treatment done at this visit. This is billed under a unique code and pays fairly well.

5 hours ago, sas5814 said:

There is the Medicare Wellness visit which is a unique visit solely for the purpose of drilling down through the patients history and making sure all of the patients diagnosis are in the chart, all recommended screening tests are being done or have, and follow up visits are scheduled for identified issues. Known problems are not addressed beyond making sure they are being followed and no refills are done. There is no actual treatment done at this visit. This is billed under a unique code and pays fairly well.

"...pays fairly well."

Am I being underpaid at $135k/yr for 10-13 patients/day? They would not budge at all with salary. 

problem will be travel time

this is also for an insurance company  -- that promotes a medicare replacement plan

They get paid based on the complexity of the patients - so it makes sense for you to go go into the field and document the heck out of everything as they they get paid more from medicare.....

as for my thoughts... how boring,,   never Dx a thing, just record, no management,  lots of  "talk to you PCP"

8 minutes ago, ventana said:

problem will be travel time

this is also for an insurance company  -- that promotes a medicare replacement plan

They get paid based on the complexity of the patients - so it makes sense for you to go go into the field and document the heck out of everything as they they get paid more from medicare.....

as for my thoughts... how boring,,   never Dx a thing, just record, no management,  lots of  "talk to you PCP"

Yea travel time will likely be a downer. But I will be on salary plus mileage reimbursement ($0.54/mile) so I will be getting paid while driving. 

And I will be diagnosing. I will not be managing or prescribing which doesn't really bother me for now. The pay bump from where I am now in emergency med is pretty significant and I will have a lot more freedom. 

I am applying for part time positions at urgent cares for Saturday mornings to keep so I won't lose my edge (and make a nice chunk of extra money). 

Archived