How to better my application (for next cycle)

I applied this year around mid-August to PA programs. I applied to 16 with 3 rejections so far (two because my A&P 1 and 2 class has expired in the 5-year time frame) and one that I was sure I was going to get rejected too due to competition.

My stats are:

cGPA: 3.10

sGPA: 3.24

PCE (currently volunteering still) : EMT (volunteer) - 5,005 hours

PCE: EMT (paid) - 1074 hours

PCE (current position): ED Tech (paid) - 400 hours (at the time of applying I had 250 hours) 

HCE: Pharmacy Associate at Riteaid (about 150 hours)

Shadowing: 1 PA in the ER - 100 hours

Community service (just started in September): 13 hours 

Recommendation letters: 1 from a PA, 1 from by Bio professor and 1 from my EMT volunteer supervisor

I applied to all non-GRE schools since I have not taken the GRE.

I wanted to know if I do get rejected from all of the schools I applied to, how do I better my application for next cycle? (I know getting my GPA higher is probably the first thing that comes to mind but I have this GPA after taking post-bacc classes and cannot afford to take too many additional ones. If I should boost my GPA should it be my cGPA or sGPA?)

Thank you.

Remember there is always hope! First I would shadow at least 3 more PA's in different sections. PCE hours are good with direct patient contact. Any pre-reqs that are not A's I would surely try to retake to make as many A's as possible. It may also benefit you to retake those A & P courses to get them updated with A's of course. I would take the GRE, and get above or close to a 305 to open more chances. Biggest help is finding out why they rejected you. Ask each one what you can do to improve. Apply earlier (like before June) also helps greatly. Lastly, I would totally revamp your PS. Make it engaging, quickly address your faults and how you are improving, and the big reason of why you want to be a PA. Remember you need to write something that makes someone go "Yeah, I want to meet this person". Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Jdabrowski said:

Remember there is always hope! First I would shadow at least 3 more PA's in different sections. PCE hours are good with direct patient contact. Any pre-reqs that are not A's I would surely try to retake to make as many A's as possible. It may also benefit you to retake those A & P courses to get them updated with A's of course. I would take the GRE, and get above or close to a 305 to open more chances. Biggest help is finding out why they rejected you. Ask each one what you can do to improve. Apply earlier (like before June) also helps greatly. Lastly, I would totally revamp your PS. Make it engaging, quickly address your faults and how you are improving, and the big reason of why you want to be a PA. Remember you need to write something that makes someone go "Yeah, I want to meet this person". Good luck!

All my pre-reqs have been taken over that were lower than a C+ and I improved. The only class was Cell Bio which I got a C in that I never retook because for most of the schools I applied too it was not a pre-req. I have found 1 more PA to shadow (out-patient) and have tried to find others in different specialities and it's been really hard to but I'm still looking. GRE is definitely something I've been preparing for (has been a rollercoaster ride studying for it). Applying early would be top priority as well next cycle. I still have a few more months before getting replies but I want to start early just in-case. Thank you for the feedback!

Take the GRE. It will widen your window of schools and may would also show you can do graduate work in case there are doubts with your grades.

Take the classes that fell out of the 5 year window as necessary.

Consider taking something like pathophysiology and getting an A. It is a good facsimile of PA level coursework.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, UGoLong said:

Take the GRE. It will widen your window of schools and may would also show you can do graduate work in case there are doubts with your grades.

Take the classes that fell out of the 5 year window as necessary.

Consider taking something like pathophysiology and getting an A. It is a good facsimile of PA level coursework.

Good luck!

I did take Patho and unfortunately did not do my best (B-). I am thinking of taking Histology at a university (costly but it's one class). My A&P 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 are 5 years old this year. There is no way I can afford to take them all again. Only 1 school I know in NY that requires A&P 1 and 2 to be taken in the past 5 years and the rest of the pre-reqs within 10 years. I will only take A&P if applying to that school I guess (also requires GRE so will complete that as well). Thank you for the feedback!

3 hours ago, 8404PA said:

Gotta take the GRE, score above a 310 and makeup for any concerns about GPA. Keep up the dedication. 

Thank you. Should I raise my cGPA or just sGPA? I ask because financially I can only afford so much. Science classes as a non-matriculate are expensive. Not sure if I should match my cGPA to my sGPA or just raise sGPA with 2 upper science courses.

4 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

Thank you. Should I raise my cGPA or just sGPA? I ask because financially I can only afford so much. Science classes as a non-matriculate are expensive. Not sure if I should match my cGPA to my sGPA or just raise sGPA with 2 upper science courses.

Im going to answer you with a question first, have you simulated through a GPA calculator what would happen to your GPA if you retook or took additional science classes? I would absolutely suggest if you're going to raise one, that you raise the science gpa. Let me caveat that when you calculate your GPA it will most likely be different from how CASPA calculates it. Keep in mind, if you don't know, they'll average out to grades for the same class even if it's an older class. Keep me posted

5 hours ago, 8404PA said:

Im going to answer you with a question first, have you simulated through a GPA calculator what would happen to your GPA if you retook or took additional science classes? I would absolutely suggest if you're going to raise one, that you raise the science gpa. Let me caveat that when you calculate your GPA it will most likely be different from how CASPA calculates it. Keep in mind, if you don't know, they'll average out to grades for the same class even if it's an older class. Keep me posted

I have simulated through a GPA calculator online and always got a lower GPA so not sure if I should trust it. CASPA calculated my sGPA higher than what I did (not sure if I included all the classes they did in my sGPA or the calculator was not accurate with CASPA). If I do take the GRE and get a high enough grade I want to apply to a local college who has the PA program but they also require that my A&P 1 and 2 class has been completed within the past 5 years. I can take A&P1 (which I'm guessing will average out) and another class like Histology to add on to the sGPA.

You may have to find a way to take A&P1 and 2 and bio 1 and 2 again.  Maybe it'll keep you out next cycle or even a few while you afford them one at a time.  I know that's not what you want to hear but it may be necessary.

It may not seem like a big deal and technically you meet the requirements, but if you are up against another applicant with the same stats as yours and they have more recently taken the courses, it may tip the scales in their favor.  If those classes being older were the only slight drawback to your app I wouldn't worry about  it but with the lower GPA and mid range HCE/PCE, it won't be putting the odds in your favor any time soon.

In theory if you take science courses it will raise both your sGPA and cGPA (as science courses count toward the cumulative as well)...so stick to science courses unless there is something like psychology or statistics that fills a pre-req for a program.

Unfortunately programs can't interview every qualified applicant so it really comes down to does your app on paper look better than the rest scattered across the reviewer's desk....you have to compare your stats to other applicants, not just to requirements and minimums.

6 hours ago, MT2PA said:

You may have to find a way to take A&P1 and 2 and bio 1 and 2 again.  Maybe it'll keep you out next cycle or even a few while you afford them one at a time.  I know that's not what you want to hear but it may be necessary.

It may not seem like a big deal and technically you meet the requirements, but if you are up against another applicant with the same stats as yours and they have more recently taken the courses, it may tip the scales in their favor.  If those classes being older were the only slight drawback to your app I wouldn't worry about  it but with the lower GPA and mid range HCE/PCE, it won't be putting the odds in your favor any time soon.

In theory if you take science courses it will raise both your sGPA and cGPA (as science courses count toward the cumulative as well)...so stick to science courses unless there is something like psychology or statistics that fills a pre-req for a program.

Unfortunately programs can't interview every qualified applicant so it really comes down to does your app on paper look better than the rest scattered across the reviewer's desk....you have to compare your stats to other applicants, not just to requirements and minimums.

Any advise on what could make my application stand out better than others (besides great LORs and a very well written PS)? Anything more I can do based off of what I already have (and besides GPA)?

7 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

Any advise on what could make my application stand out better than others (besides great LORs and a very well written PS)? Anything more I can do based off of what I already have (and besides GPA)?

There's no quick fix.  If you're willing to hold off on applying for a year or two and working on improving all of your numbers (GPA, HCE, GRE, volunteering, shadowing) you could greatly improve your chances.  There is no one line item that will make reviewers go 'Yes we MUST interview this person!".  If your app is weak in some areas it needs to be unwaveringly impressive in others.  You don't have any crazy impressive features and it will take years to make your numbers get that way (think 10s of thousands of strong PCE work).

My other suggestion would be to apply to programs where you meet the matriculating student stats.  You say you knew you'd get that one rejection due to competition - numbers wise or application stats wise?  Everyone has a reach/dream school or two and that's okay, but if you're tight on money you might have to sit down and be honest with yourself about what is actually realistic.

7 hours ago, MT2PA said:

There's no quick fix.  If you're willing to hold off on applying for a year or two and working on improving all of your numbers (GPA, HCE, GRE, volunteering, shadowing) you could greatly improve your chances.  There is no one line item that will make reviewers go 'Yes we MUST interview this person!".  If your app is weak in some areas it needs to be unwaveringly impressive in others.  You don't have any crazy impressive features and it will take years to make your numbers get that way (think 10s of thousands of strong PCE work).

My other suggestion would be to apply to programs where you meet the matriculating student stats.  You say you knew you'd get that one rejection due to competition - numbers wise or application stats wise?  Everyone has a reach/dream school or two and that's okay, but if you're tight on money you might have to sit down and be honest with yourself about what is actually realistic.

It was mainly sGPA wise that I knew it was too competitive to get in. I've been told my PCE is actually decent since it's over 6,000 hours as an EMT. I would be getting more hours as an ER tech by next year and I've been told that looks good too since I have different types of PCE. I guess I just need to take 2 more science courses to bump it up to a 3.3  at least (since I have a lot of credits). My 3.2 is after me taking post-bacc courses for a year and a half so financially I cannot keep taking more. I guess I'll work on getting more shadowing hours and have a better essay and LORs. Not sure if I should do a graduate degree instead in sciences to show that I can handle the rigors.

Take a class each semester to raise your GPA. TAKE THE GRE!!!  I aimed for a 310 minimum and achieved a 309 my first and only time.

Work on that essay and get good LOR's. 

Last but not least apply earlier!!!!  May at the latest next time if you have to reapply.  

I have 3.2 GPA's all around. Got A's in all my post-baccs (6 credit hours) and got an acceptance at a program close to home and on on top of it an interview at UF, which I am stil waiting to hear back from.

If I can do it, you can too!  You have access to this forum and already participating, that alone is a big help in getting that acceptance. This forum helped me a TON!!!

Unfortunaltely people like us with low GPA have to beef up the rest of that application.

Archived