What are my chances and what should I do to continue preparing?

Hello,

I am a senior college student aiming to obtain my bachelor of science in Biology this coming spring (May 2018). I've recently decided to pursue the PA profession and would like an idea of how I would look upon application, though I don't plan on applying until April 2019. I would like to build my application more before I apply. Any suggestions/advice on what I should do and how I'd look upon applying would be great. 

Planned graduating cGPA: 3.58-3.61

Current cGPA: 3.53

Planned sGPA: 3.59-3.64

Current sGPA: 3.59

Planned HCE upon application: 2,200

Current HCE: 1,500 (Not accurate for all school because this includes volunteering and non-direct patient care healthcare experiences. Plan on getting EMT-B upon graduation and work fulltime for a year before applying. 

Planned Shadowing hours upon graduation: 200+

Current Shadowing hours: ~50-100

Planned GRE: 310 ( Quant: 155 Verb: 155) Will take this coming summer after graduation.

I know these stats are not accurate but I am pretty confident about these predicted stats. Are these good goals? Or do I need more for a particular area? 

Also, should I retake these classes, that I've received not so great grades in?:

General Chem I : 2.5

Medical Terminology: 2.5

College Algebra: 2.0

(I did algebra in highschool and the other two my freshman year. I wasn't very focused then but I show an upward trend. 

Thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, bhubbs89 said:

Hello,

I am a senior college student aiming to obtain my bachelor of science in Biology this coming spring (May 2018). I've recently decided to pursue the PA profession and would like an idea of how I would look upon application, though I don't plan on applying until April 2019. I would like to build my application more before I apply. Any suggestions/advice on what I should do and how I'd look upon applying would be great. 

Planned graduating cGPA: 3.58-3.61

Current cGPA: 3.53

Planned sGPA: 3.55-3.64

Current sGPA: 3.54

Planned HCE upon application: 2,200

Current HCE: 1,500 (Not accurate for all school because this includes volunteering and non-direct patient care healthcare experiences. Plan on getting EMT-B upon graduation and work fulltime for a year before applying. 

Planned Shadowing hours upon graduation: 200+

Current Shadowing hours: ~50-100

Planned GRE: 310 ( Quant: 155 Verb: 155) Will take this coming summer after graduation.

I know these stats are not accurate but I am pretty confident about these predicted stats. Are these good goals? Or do I need more for a particular area? 

Also, should I retake these classes, that I've received not so great grades in?:

General Chem I : 2.5

Medical Terminology: 2.5

College Algebra: 2.0

(I did algebra in highschool and the other two my freshman year. I wasn't very focused then but I show an upward trend. 

Thanks for any advice!

Although it is kind of hard to give advice on anticipated stats it looks like you are on the right track. The EMT-B is a good option to get quality HCE, your GPA is pretty solid and that GRE score is a good goal to have. On the other grades and retaking them, if the algebra, med term and chem are not above the minimum for the schools you are applying for then yes you would need to retake them. Typically above a C is the cutoff but that can be a B- depending on the school. If they are above that minimum unless you are super confident of getting A's it may not make a huge difference to your GPA as they will most likely average at a B or so. If that is the case it may be more beneficial to take other upper division classes if you want to raise your GPA.

Other than that the best advice is to do your research on what schools you want to apply to. Look at their average accepted stats and see if yours are similar, that is generally a good gauge of how competitive you will be. Every school is a little different in what they are looking for in an applicant and you also want to find a school where you are a good fit as well.

Archived