University of the Pacific (Sacramento) 2017-2018

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, i just got the invite Friday. I’m coming from New York. Where are you coming from? Looking to stay at a hotel. Super nervous but excited. Does anyone have any advice or insight as to being prepared for the interview? I saw there’s an essay. Can someone tell me a little more about it?  Thanks in advance! 

On 3/14/2018 at 6:30 PM, ctang said:

Got an interview invite today for Wednesday, April 4th...anybody else?

11 minutes ago, Meliss45 said:

Hey, i just got the invite Friday. I’m coming from New York. Where are you coming from? Looking to stay at a hotel. Super nervous but excited. Does anyone have any advice or insight as to being prepared for the interview? I saw there’s an essay. Can someone tell me a little more about it?  Thanks in advance! 

Congrats on the invite!  We're not permitted to discuss any specifics about the interview day.  Just be yourself & be kind to everyone.  You'll do great!  Good luck!  

23 minutes ago, p_tud said:

when did you apply to the program? my advice would be to be as relaxed as you can and don't worry too much about the essay as long as you are able to express your ideas. good luck! 

Thank you so much!  I submitted 2/12 and 3/15 committee to review. 3/16 i received an email for an interview invite. 

14 hours ago, Meliss45 said:

It is a wonderful school! Just be yourself and you will do great!

Congratulations on the interview!

On 3/18/2018 at 7:18 PM, Meliss45 said:

I'm coming from Oregon. I'm excited to meet you in a few weeks! 

Congrats on your interview Sean!  I interviewed at the end of Feb and it was one of the most chill and welcoming interviews I've had.  The faculty/staff are genuinely nice  and are just looking to get to know you on a more personal level.  Be yourself and enjoy the experience!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 6:14 PM, Gat094 said:

Remember when being interviewed, you are interviewing the program too. As a current student I can say there were many things I was not informed about during my interview and learned the hard way once beginning the program. They are new, they are unorganized, and do not have many resources/hands-on learning experience comparable to other schools. Make sure to ask lots of questions and have a full understanding! The tuition is high, so compare to other schools. Compare and contrast what each has to offer! 

Is there anything specifically we should be concerned about or address during the interview? Thanks for the info. 

6 hours ago, PA5051 said:

I wanted to take the time to share my own experience and perhaps clarify some of the concerns that PA5051 is expressing. I am a second year student at the program so I have already survived the first semester (as well as being the first class). First, the first semester of PA school is really designed for you to be a motivated self learner. While it may feel like you are “floundering” that is not the case, it is really just preparing you for what’s to come and giving you the ability to figure out your own techniques to succeed. The amount of material that you need to get through in a short amount of time means that you may scratch the surface in class, but are expected to master the material on your own- this is the same with EVERY program. That also means getting through 200 slides in an hour so that you can spend 6 hours reviewing on your own. It is rough, but that is the nature of the beast. I encourage you to use your resources first like textbooks, etc, then go to faculty. While they are really busy, if you set up a time to meet with them they will be there ready and willing to help you. I have never been turned away from a faculty member when I needed something.  As I am sure you have heard the faculty say, the program is designed to be CRAWL, WALK, RUN. You are crawling right now. It is frustrating and seems slow and you are anxious to get onto the next step. It will come, and then you will be wishing you were crawling again! That being said, with so many differing backgrounds there is simply not enough hours in the school week to review everything. Identify your weaknesses and fix it. The faculty is demanding because they have to be. You are about to go out into a profession that demand so much of you both mentally and physically. You are going to meet preceptors in your second year that are going to expect you to know everything at the drop of a hat. All of this is to prepare you for what’s to come. There is over 100 years of combined PA Education experience among the faculty, TRUST THEM.

There are lots of solutions to the frustrations you are expressing. First, spend the time mastering the techniques on your own or with your friends. Things like taking BP/vitals etc are easily accomplished, especially since you probably already have purchased the equipment necessary. I’m sure there is an MA in the class who would gladly show you and check your work. I can also guarantee that if you scheduled a time, any faculty member (like your advisor) would be happy to spend a half hour helping you one on one if that’s what you need.  It is all about communication.

Finally, I truly hope you have talked to the administration about your frustrations. A huge part of being a PA is having accountability. So, utilizing this forum as a means to express your frustrations, in a semi-anonymous way is not being accountable and does not help the program. You have probably met me at some point, so if you would like you can feel free to contact me directly to help give you some guidance on some ways to be successful and flexible going through this process. I also would be happy to spend time on some skills with you when I am in town.

For others applying, I strongly encourage you to look at UOP. I can’t speak any more highly about the faculty and staff as well as the experience I have had. PA School is by far the hardest thing I have done, but I know it is going to be worth it. It is hard, it is frustrating, it is exhausting, but it is doable. Keep at it and remember the end goal.

Nicola

Yes let's thank God that we are allowed to have different opinions. That's the beauty of life! There's no need to attack others because they are expressing their opinions of their current experience. These are current students that are trying to inform future students that they are also interviewing the school and what to expect if they get accepted into this program. Some students may feel like the program has prepared them well and some didn't. I think it's important for future students to listen and read current students' opinions, the good and the bad, since the program is 27 months and costs more than 100k. That is a lot of money and time invested.

Although I am not a current student, I cannot provide a feedback on your experience of the program but I can provide a feedback on what I experienced during the interview day. I can understand what @PA5051 and @Gat094 are talking about. I felt like the faculties were rude and didn't care much for the students based off of how they addressed my questions/concerns on the interview day. Maybe they don't believe in students interviewing them. Who knows. It is very worrisome to me that the faculties aren't really available when needed because during the interview, the faculties emphasized and claimed to have an "open door policy" where students can always stop by. I don't know about you guys but the number 1 thing I am looking for in a program is a supportive staff. If that doesn't exist, what's the point in having a PA program? Even after talking to the current students on interview day, I felt like they were all putting on a fake smile telling us how great the program is. It wasn't very genuine. Overall, this program does require some work. Because of this, I declined my seat of acceptance. I interviewed at 9 schools this cycle and received 4 acceptances so I was able to compare and contrast what I liked and didn't like about certain programs. I definitely did not like program. 

12 hours ago, paz008 said:

Wow, thanks everyone for the input. I have my interview tomorrow and this has given me a lot to think about. 

Good luck today! This program wasn't for me but it may be for you. You might end up loving it! It all depends on what you are looking for in a program. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, ReadyPAOne said:

Yes let's thank God that we are allowed to have different opinions. That's the beauty of life! There's no need to attack others because they are expressing their opinions of their current experience. These are current students that are trying to inform future students that they are also interviewing the school and what to expect if they get accepted into this program. Some students may feel like the program has prepared them well and some didn't. I think it's important for future students to listen and read current students' opinions, the good and the bad, since the program is 27 months and costs more than 100k. That is a lot of money and time invested.

Although I am not a current student, I cannot provide a feedback on your experience of the program but I can provide a feedback on what I experienced during the interview day. I can understand what @PA5051 and @Gat094 are talking about. I felt like the faculties were rude and didn't care much for the students based off of how they addressed my questions/concerns on the interview day. Maybe they don't believe in students interviewing them. Who knows. It is very worrisome to me that the faculties aren't really available when needed because during the interview, the faculties emphasized and claimed to have an "open door policy" where students can always stop by. I don't know about you guys but the number 1 thing I am looking for in a program is a supportive staff. If that doesn't exist, what's the point in having a PA program? Even after talking to the current students on interview day, I felt like they were all putting on a fake smile telling us how great the program is. It wasn't very genuine. Overall, this program does require some work. Because of this, I declined my seat of acceptance. I interviewed at 9 schools this cycle and received 4 acceptances so I was able to compare and contrast what I liked and didn't like about certain programs. I definitely did not like program. 

I experienced this when I interviewed last year as well, one of the elderly women that interviewed on my day asked a question and she was written off pretty quickly. The weird thing is that they send you an email after your interview asking for feedback on how they can improve but honest feedback most likely isn't going to be reported out of fear of rejection from the program if positive feedback isn't reported. I recommend they send out those surveys after admission decisions have been sent out for more honest feedback on how to improve their interview day. 

I applied again this year and they don't seem to send out offers for reinterviews. I felt a bit uncomfortable interviewing here since I felt they favored a hand full of applicants at interview day, my gut feeling said they would pick those 3 out of the 13 that interviewed that day and after following up with those candidates, they got in. UoP is pretty pro-military backgrounds since half the staff went to UoNebraska (IPAP). 

The good news is that a lot of my friends that interviewed here and got rejected got into a lot of really good programs so please don't let a rejection letter from UoP discourage you. 

Archived