Hey there,

I recently graduated with a bachelor's in biomedical science in May and am really trying figure out a plan during my time off before I get in to PA school. I am currently an EMT for a private company but the issue is the pay is not great ($11/hr) and my undergrad student loans are going to kick in soon. I would like to get a job in the hospital and work closer to PAs to create relationships. I have thought about medical assistant but it seems that most jobs require an MA certification. Any ideas? What are you guys doing to increase your patient care experience during gap years? 

Thanks! 

This is pretty far out there and not for most people but......

You could join the Navy as a Medical Service Corps Officer or the Army in the same capacity. Then you can also apply to the Military's PA program. 

I didn't have to deal with this situation but trying to help you think outside the box. Good luck!

I worked as an EMT for 3 years during college and got a good amount of patient contact hours from doing so! Like you said, the money isn't great though. So, I too have a gap year before I start in August so I got hired on with a huge healthcare firm in Dallas. :) so it's nice to get to see the business aspect of healthcare (which previously I knew nothing about). With that, the money is also great. Thanks corporate America. Just food for thought if you wanted to switch it up!

Archived